Recalled/Assigned: Mitchell Stephens Called Up to Montreal

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Newhook crashed into the net ...

Doesn't change the fact our small core gets hurt in meaningless plays, they are prone to anything and everything out there. The team also is playing a style they can't afford to , when they aren't getting hurt putting on their skates or getting coffee. What exactly is MSL going to do with a core that is this small? What style do you even implement? I also hate the dying effort to block shots, Savard's injury was needless.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sucks for Gignac only having an AHL contract
He isn't NHL material imo as he is a low IQ player.

He has some nice wheels and decent hands but he drives me nuts as much as he can be exciting at times. This is the reason that he has never been a big scorer at any level despite his speed and hands and it is the reason that he is 26 on an AHL contract with 1 career NHL game under his belt. I like him on Laval despite my frustration with him at times but he does not belong in the NHL at all.

I was laughed at by some posters at the start of the season for listing Stephens on the Habs C depth chart but he has some ability to play a responsible two way game as a 4th line center and has 72 games of NHL experience doing so including a Stanley Cup ring where he got into 7 playoff games and scored a goal in one of them. He is a reasonable call up and was always in the plans to do so if needed.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think they have to change trainers or something. This isn't a doctor issue. I know Newhook and Dach were flukes but a lot of the others in the past few years must be related to something.

Sucks for Andersson too because he probably had first call up if he were healthy. Even Farrell might have been next as he's older than Roy. Heinemen as well.. I guess we have more injuries than I remembered.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Quoted for The Truth.............the myth that big guys don't get hurt is just that.............
It is truly unbelievable our tough luck right now on the injury front....
That's why they have the saying

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall"

Habs just have shit luck

Reactions: BLONG7

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He isn't NHL material imo as he is a low IQ player.

He has some nice wheels and decent hands but he drives me nuts as much as he can be exciting at times. This is the reason that he has never been a big scorer at any level despite his speed and hands and it is the reason that he is 26 on an AHL contract with 1 career NHL game under his belt. I like him on Laval despite my frustration with him at times but he does not belong in the NHL at all.

I was laughed at by some posters at the start of the season for listing Stephens on the Habs C depth chart but he has some ability to play a responsible two way game as a 4th line center and has 72 games of NHL experience doing so including a Stanley Cup ring where he got into 7 playoff games and scored a goal in one of them. He is a reasonable call up and was always in the plans to do so if needed.

I mean
Dach is injured.
Newhook is injured.
Maillet just came back from injury today so definitely not going to be called up.
Andersson is injured.
Current AHL 1st C is on an AHL contract and as you said not the best fit for the NHL.

Also, he's on a hot streak right now with 5 points in 5 games.

He'll be fine defensively, but there's really not much offensively, even relative to a 4th liner.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think they have to change trainers or something. This isn't a doctor issue. I know Newhook and Dach were flukes but a lot of the others in the past few years must be related to something.

Sucks for Andersson too because he probably had first call up if he were healthy. Even Farrell might have been next as he's older than Roy. Heinemen as well.. I guess we have more injuries than I remembered.
In Montreal:
Head athletic therapist Ramsay is new and widely regarded as one of the best.
Head physio Gauthier is new.
Assistant Athletic Therapist Buna has been here for 2 years (before that Laval).
Assistant Athletic Therapist Chammas is new (last year in Laval).
Massage Therapist and Assistant Athletic Therapist Moore is new.
Strenght and conditioning coach Lablans has been there for 3 years.

In Laval:
Athletic Therapist Kinney has been there for 8 years.
Assistant Athletic Therapist Neron is new.
Strength & Conditioning Coach Gervais has been there 3 years.

Reactions: Deebs

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Stephens is a safe call up.
Sports Forecaster has a good write up:
Has gone from a point producer at lower levels to a reliable depth forward in the NHL. Has grown into a 200-foot player who may not score a lot of goals but is not an offensive zero, either. His good burst is an asset offensively. Is at his best when he keeps things simple and plays a north-south game, rather than trying to make fancy plays. Injuries have hampered his development.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Stephens is a safe call up.
Sports Forecaster has a good write up:
Has gone from a point producer at lower levels to a reliable depth forward in the NHL. Has grown into a 200-foot player who may not score a lot of goals but is not an offensive zero, either. His good burst is an asset offensively. Is at his best when he keeps things simple and plays a north-south game, rather than trying to make fancy plays. Injuries have hampered his development.

He was never a point producer though.

Reactions: Don D

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
In Montreal:
Head athletic therapist Ramsay is new and widely regarded as one of the best.
Head physio Gauthier is new.
Assistant Athletic Therapist Buna has been here for 2 years (before that Laval).
Assistant Athletic Therapist Chammas is new (last year in Laval).
Massage Therapist and Assistant Athletic Therapist Moore is new.
Strenght and conditioning coach Lablans has been there for 3 years.

In Laval:
Athletic Therapist Kinney has been there for 8 years.
Assistant Athletic Therapist Neron is new.
Strength & Conditioning Coach Gervais has been there 3 years.
Lablans here three years as conditioning coach and these have been the three most Injury heavy years we've ever seen. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation but it's the only hiring timeline that adds up.

I can't just believe in coincidences to have three heavily injury plagued years.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
another year of a small team getting injured, nothing new. Kent put together another soft team so the injuries are not unexpected. You'll never convinced me that this club's fascination with small core players is leading to massive injuries for the last 35 years.

This team has taken a toll on your psyche eh.

So Xhekaj, Savard & Dach are part of the small players who got injured?
I would like this comment, but due to my poor behaviour I've been banished to the fringes of this board for the time being because this board is ran by a bunch of.....

In saying that I like this comment.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't change the fact our small core gets hurt in meaningless plays, they are prone to anything and everything out there. The team also is playing a style they can't afford to , when they aren't getting hurt putting on their skates or getting coffee. What exactly is MSL going to do with a core that is this small? What style do you even implement? I also hate the dying effort to block shots, Savard's injury was needless.
But you hate the fact we drafted slaf over Cooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad