Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Having watched Dallas/Vegas... Stankoven is already a better playoff player than Marner will ever be.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Really liked this guy when we drafted him and for the first 5 years
But his softness is just irritating

He wanted money he got it
He wanted terms he got it

Performance we didn't get
As I said in the out of town thread, Panarin usually has subpar playoffs in a similar fashion to Marner's performance in previous years. But this year Panarin has stepped up and contribute in a big way.

Marner may have this kind of upside in him but it won't happen in Toronto.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
As I said in the out of town thread, Panarin usually has subpar playoffs in a similar fashion to Marner's performance in previous years. But this year Panarin has stepped up and contribute in a big way.

They have other players that are playoff performers. Kreider is a beast

We are a sushi combo set. Everyone does well or nobody does well

Reactions: MSZ

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

As long as space disappears and other teams hit harder and with more conviction come playoffs, I doubt he will ever become the playoff performer we wish him to be.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I do wonder what would’ve been if Shanahan chose to keep Lou over Dubas. Big Three probably don’t get overpaid in negotiations. I think Tavares still comes here since Lou did try for Stamkos. Babcock maybe doesn’t turn into a self-sabotaging prick since he actually respected Lou while his dislike of Dubas was palpable. Even if he does or he proved to be incompetent still Lou probably hires a better coach than Keefe after firing him. Anything else that could’ve been done gets way into speculative territory, who knows if Lou would’ve gone after Muzzin, how the Bruins series plays out with Kadri, etc.
I wanted Lou to stick around to negotiate the big 3 RFA deals then buzz off. He would've got those guys locked in cheaper for sure, but any cap savings would've gone towards overpaid bottom six players. Look at the term he gave Matt Martin, Komarov, Engvall etc.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
Utah is a picture-perfect fit for him in case he'd waive his NMC.

Lower tax bracket for the greedy, fresh start with low pressure market, no playoff success expectations yet, they have some cap space, etc.
stop the delusion- expansion teams have no interest in overpaid gutless posers like Marner

Marner is still only 27. Toronto would likely get a 1st + 2nd + Decent prospect if they just wanted to trade him for futures, and I imagine there would be at least a handful of teams willing to pay at this upcoming draft.
you are mind-numbingly delusional to think Marner at his contract is worth that. buy a vowel, Cletus

• Haha
Reactions: thadd

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Are you f***ing kidding me.

Boston puts up 1 regulation goal in game 7 and we lost? Marner 0 points?

Nice dangle around a Bruin, clear path to the net.....instead of taking it, he passes outside to JOEL EDMUNDSON!?!? Joel f***ing Edmundson is going to snipe Swayman from there?! What p***y, low hockey IQ is that.

I don't even wanna see this guys name right now so I'm out from these boards for a few months since you guys are gonna keep bumping this thread.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
stop the delusion- expansion teams have no interest in overpaid gutless posers like Marner

1) They aren't an expansion team.

2) I don't think they will be interested. I don't. However, there is at least some logic in this match whether you want to see it or not.

3) It is likely all moot anyways as I don't think Marner would waive to go there, even though it would genuinely be a good place for him to fix his career.

4) I am rarely delusional about how embarassingly this organization is run or how much the core are greedy, self-centered cowards. I am short-tempered and reactionary, but I am as far as you can get from a homer. I love this sweater but I don't like many of these players at all.

It's over with this guy. He might turn into a playoff monster elsewhere but it's just not gonna happen here. This was his worst series to date, 3 points in 7 games is a new career low.

Also, some defensive awareness.

I don't want to hear any more Marner homer bullshit from anyone. He's a f***ing joke.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
1) They aren't an expansion team.

2) I don't think they will be interested. I don't. However, there is at least some logic in this match whether you want to see it or not.

3) It is likely all moot anyways as I don't think Marner would waive to go there, even though it would genuinely be a good place for him to fix his career.

4) I am rarely delusional about how embarassingly this organization is run or how much the core are greedy, self-centered cowards. I am short-tempered and reactionary, but I am as far as you can get from a homer. I love this sweater but I don't like many of these players at all.

I don't want to hear any more Marner homer bullshit from anyone. He's a f***ing joke.

Seattle will want Marner if they think he could help get them in the playoffs consistently, which he will...you can't win if you can't even get to the dance...playing meaningful games in the Spring helps the team develop and provide additional revenue for the franchise, as well as attract new fans...what owner wouldn't love that? Making the playoffs year after year is a big deal.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be surprised if Marner is happy here. He looks miserable. When was the last time he did the griddy? Were doing him a favor by shipping him to Utah. They have way too many picks, it's going to mess up their contract slots.

When you think about it like it's Settlers of Catan we're the ones doing them a favor.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Seattle will want Marner if they think he could help get them in the playoffs consistently, which he will...you can't win if you can't even get to the dance...playing meaningful games in the Spring helps the team develop and provide additional revenue for the franchise, as well as attract new fans...what owner wouldn't love that? Making the playoffs year after year is a big deal.

Seattle could also work and I think that's a city and team he might consider waiving for.

I'd be surprised if Marner is happy here. He looks miserable. When was the last time he did the griddy? Were doing him a favor by shipping him to Utah. They have way too many picks, it's going to mess up their contract slots.

When you think about it like it's Settlers of Catan we're the ones doing them a favor.

I will buy Brad Treliving a case of beer if he uses Settlers of Catan in a trade negotiation.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's been said here many times that it's impossible to trade Marner and win the trade. I think we're at the point now where it's almost impossible to trade Marner and not be in a better position as a franchise.

Good question. We seem to be overdue for a lecture about how clueless we are if we can't appreciate what he have in Marner.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

IMO Marner's biggest fanboy's in no particular order are/were @Notsince67 , @666 , @ACC1224 and @DarkKnight (and one person on my ignore list). It seems that @DarkKnight has finally come to his senses but the other 3 are conspicuously absent today so who knows if they're still riding the "Marner is awesome" train.
I like all those posters except 666. They're very knowledgeable on hockey and contribute mostly good things to the board. 666 contributes nothing except making things very personal and toxic.

Everybody gets it wrong with players once in awhile, I won't hold it against them.

Agreed. This is the first time that I've actually seen a bit of a skeleton structure of a team they can win with. We're probably half a dozen players short (and a few key ones), but this is the most optimistic I've felt in 5 years, because some of these guys are actually doing what we need them to do.
Same here. Games 5 and 6 were the first time I've really seen this team buy into a full selfless team game. Everybody taking punishment to make the play, paying the price and committing to the 200 ft game. Except Marner ofc, his lack of physicality stuck out especially bad these playoffs because of unwilling he was to make contact with anyone.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Rielly was way high on that dump in.. I guess for Rielly reasons? ya Marner should have harassed Pasta for sure on the way in but the winger is the defensemans man, and retrieving dump ins is Riellys job there too. Not sure why he was roaming around up high.

Marner had a way sub par playoff offensively again for sure, and he should get a change of scenery since he’s the latest Leaf fan scapegoat, but there is plenty of blame to go around on that play. Check out controller disconnected Nylander lol

Following Leaf scapegoat tradition. Marner will look good when he comes back and daggers us. The problem is getting some assets for him when he holds the cards.
yeah he shouldve went to the puck carrier leaving the slot open for zacha to attack on a potential rebound.

300 IQ comment over here showing your masterclass understanding of defensive positioning lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah we have to trade those damn sheep cards for some ore. Get hard.

• Haha
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like all those posters except 666. They're very knowledgeable on hockey and contribute mostly good things to the board. 666 contributes nothing except making things very personal and toxic.

Everybody gets it wrong with players once in awhile, I won't hold it against them.

Same here. Games 5 and 6 were the first time I've really seen this team buy into a full selfless team game. Everybody taking punishment to make the play, paying the price and committing to the 200 ft game. Except Marner ofc, his lack of physicality stuck out especially bad these playoffs because of unwilling he was to make contact with anyone.
Those posters contribute some good things, but not enough to make for the times that they're over the top rude, pompous, arrogant and condescending. That's just my opinion of course, I perhaps object to that kind of crap more than some others. We're all wrong about whatever from time to time, that has nothing to do with it. But yeah notsince1967 posts are worth reading when the subject is anything and/or anyone but Marner.

Game 5 and 6, I said it before, those were perhaps the best playoff type games we've ever played with this core. I would say they go a long way to exposing the Shanaplan as pure crap - team defence is what wins in the playoffs so spending half the cap on 4 forwards is clearly wrong. We should keep Matty and Willie as our game breakers, that's more than enough and allocate the other 22 million elsewhere. JT won't be 11 million year after next, all we need to do now is cut Marner loose. Imagine the team that played those 2 games, now remove Marner and JT, use 22 million to improve defence and goaltending, have Willie and Matty healthy, could be pretty good! Of course those same guys didn't play as well in game 7 but still, they at least tried hard, it wasn't one of those embarrassing game 7 performances that we're all too familiar with but I digress ...

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Everyone noticed the Leafs were a different team in games 5 and 6. And they won them.

When you dont have AM as the focal point, and linemates arent focused on feeding him passes, the team changes to a harder working grindy style which is more like playoff hockey. AM's style of play isnt suited to playoff hockey unless he gets lucky and gets lots of juicy rebounds to bury or MM, WN, JT or MR are feeding him sweet passes at the circle or on PP. But playoff hockey is tighter, more blocked passes and shots and AM doesn't like getting in front of the net to bang in garbage goals. So his production drops like a rock.

It's not surprising WN is the most consistent point producer since he can dangle on his own and create his own scoring chances.. He also has a combo of zooming around and shooting and also getting close to the net.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah we have to trade those damn sheep cards for some ore. Get hard.
I tried to come up with a bit about the fact that Utah has all these picks, and in Catan if you have too many cards you have to discard if someone rolls a 7 and I'm too tired I can't do this.

Just trade Mitch for futures. Whether it's wheat, sheep or more preferably brick or ore

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Everyone noticed the Leafs were a different team in games 5 and 6. And they won them.

When you dont have AM as the focal point, and linemates arent focused on feeding him passes, the team changes to a harder working grindy style which is more like playoff hockey. AM's style of play isnt suited to playoff hockey unless he gets lucky and gets lots of juicy rebounds to bury or MM, WM, JT or MR are feeding him sweet passes at the circle. But playoff hockey is tighter, more blocked passes and shots and AM doesn't like getting in front of the net to bang in garbage goals. So his production drops like a rock.

It's not surprising WM is the most consistent point producer since he can dangle on his own and create his own scoring chances.. He also has a combo of zooming around and shooting and also getting close to the net.

I found the team to be more enjoyable to watch in Auston's absence because it was just a total team effort. They largely kept to the same recipe with Auston in Game 7. Whatever coach comes in in the future needs to erase the dividing line between the old incumbent core and the bench warmers. Auston and the remaining core will just need to be Leafs, and those new Leafs will have to take ownership and build their own stable identities and roles on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad