Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I highly doubt Tre will even offer MM a deal in the summer unless MM said he will sign for 5mil/yr on a 1 yr deal.
Unlike MM, he can’t do what Willie did last season like betting on himself and sign a deal mid season, even if MM lights it up, his true measurement will be in the playoffs before any deals.
Tough situation for the Leafs and MM.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Buying out Marner saves the leafs 400k in cap space next year. Doesn't make sense.

According to Siegal, Marner was open to the possibility of waiving his nmc last summer. So that's hopeful I guess.
Iv'e had a feeling all season Marners checked out completly from the Leafs . He put up points this year but he was never up to his usual self . The way he's lashed out at the media ect makes me think he is not enjoying life here at all. Maybe i read to much into it . Also wonder if Dubas really did want to trade him maybe it plays on Marner's mind a lot . He really seems like a guy that's going to melt down .
Despite what the narative is around here , he's never shied from contact before . He's just not very effective or strong enough playing physical . This playoffs was sickening how he avoided any chance of getting hit . Makes me wonder if he's got something seriously hurting him aside from his ankle that contact would be unbearable. Not making excuses , just legit wondering. If that's the case he never should of been in the lineup.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Absolutely no extension should be offered. Provide a list of teams you'd waive for and then add Utah to it. Stop crying bro it's not junior hockey. The guy constantly has the puppy dog eyes when things get tough. Should've drafted Hanifin
Utah is a picture-perfect fit for him in case he'd waive his NMC.

Lower tax bracket for the greedy, fresh start with low pressure market, no playoff success expectations yet, they have some cap space, etc.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
The people talking about Marner's style not being effective in the playoffs are accurate.

Willy and Matthews are North/South. They want to go to the net and are always trying to get into the inside on puck battles and open ice plays. They work for their space. Marner doesn't. His style is about space and openness and the playoffs you have less of it. So he becomes REALLY perimeter orientated.

You can question Matthews and Willy in terms of mental makeup and if they can win in the playoffs. But stylistically, I would much rather try it with them than Marner. Plus Matthews and Willy are clearly tougher and more physical than Mitch.

I can't think of a single player who plays like Mitch who won. Comparing him to Kane are off-base. Willy is much closer to Kane stylistically than Marner is.

I can't think of a player who plays like Mitch who won anything.
This about sums it up.

Time for him to go for everyone's sake.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Sometimes it’s hard to fathom how the GTA produced this guy. He’s just such a weird little package of skills with none of the attributes this hockey culture values.
It is bizarre. I thought it was emerging under Babcock following along nicely from his junior arc and then <poof> big money and regression. Perhaps I'm revising.

Interestingly, today is Marner's birthday.

What do you give the man who has everything and seemingly despises accountability or reasonable expectation while enjoying everything?

Directions to Minnesota?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Iv'e had a feeling all season Marners checked out completly from the Leafs . He put up points this year but he was never up to his usual self . The way he's lashed out at the media ect makes me think he is not enjoying life here at all. Maybe i read to much into it . Also wonder if Dubas really did want to trade him maybe it plays on Marner's mind a lot . He really seems like a guy that's going to melt down .
Despite what the narative is around here , he's never shied from contact before . He's just not very effective or strong enough playing physical . This playoffs was sickening how he avoided any chance of getting hit . Makes me wonder if he's got something seriously hurting him aside from his ankle that contact would be unbearable. Not making excuses , just legit wondering. If that's the case he never should of been in the lineup.

So watching him pull the parachute on puck races he was clearly winning just so the defenseman wouldn’t drill him in the corner was just a shared hallucination the rest of us had? That happens every year, not just this year. I guess the numbers on his average shot distance getting further out on the perimeter as soon as the playoffs start are made up too, he was actually battling in the slot his entire playoff career but we all missed it somehow.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Utah is a picture-perfect fit for him in case he'd waive his NMC.

Lower tax bracket for the greedy, fresh start with low pressure market, no playoff success expectations yet, they have some cap space, etc.
It is a great idear .. no pressure for Mitch .. gets him away from his dad for good .. gets his points in utah and cottages in muskoka in spring .. utah needs scoring and can handle cap .. we get their 1 pick 2024 and take sam

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
It is a great idear .. no pressure for Mitch .. gets him away from his dad for good .. gets his points in utah and cottages in muskoka in spring .. utah needs scoring and can handle cap .. we get their 1 pick 2024 and take sam
Unfortunately they wouldn't pay that high a price but if they somehow did I would literally buy a plane ticket to Toronto on my own dime just for the privilege of driving Mitch to Pearson.

Dickinson is a horse and will probably be NHL ready in a year. Too bad he's LH but otherwise he's perfect.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is bizarre. I thought it was emerging under Babcock following along nicely from his junior arc and then <poof> big money and regression. Perhaps I'm revising.

What do you give the man who has everything and seemingly despises accountability or reasonable expectation while enjoying everything?

Directions to Minnesota?
I suggest the way to San Jose.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011

Directions to Minnesota?
On a personal level, happy birthday to him, that sucks its the day after a loss

Still need his list of teams though lol

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I suggest the way to San Jose.
Too bad we couldn’t get our Tkachuk out of Ottawa. Sens are getting desperate to make the playoffs but I doubt they’d do that. Still a Stutzle/Chycrun deal could work.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
did marner not see pastrnak when he came off the bench? i dont get it, just casually skates back and allows pastrnak to blow past him. so confused, I watched the play 100x. if i'm our defence... i'd be ripping marner a new one. so f***ing pissed off.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Our market sucks to play in, I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to play here.

Personally, I'd want to because I grew up loving this team, but the media and fans are unbearable in this market.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
On a personal level, happy birthday to him, that sucks its the day after a loss

Still need his list of teams though lol

I really feel for Mitch struggling through this birthday after losing a game where he produced nothing again.

1714933602035.gif

Oh wait, no I don't. I have to go to actual work tomorrow.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I agree. Marner is clearly over Toronto media hysteria. I think Matthews enjoys the spotlight of being "the guy" in such a city. And Nylander doesn't give a f*** about it one way or the other. But Marner's not built for it. Which is why it confuses me that he put all that extra pressure on himself in the contract negotiation and unprecedented dramatic overpayment.

But the hatred for the guy in leaf land has gotten out of hand. It takes a lot for me of all people to say that.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Funny, you bring that up Nylander had 5 blocks to marner's 1?
Had 5 hits in 4 games to marners 6 in 7 games.
marner crushed Nylander in takeaways though.

I was surprised about the blocks.

He wasn't fast enough to move out of the way I guess :D

I put no stock at all into hit stats by Marner or Nylander (or in general - they call every little bump a hit). Nylander had one real hit that was really noticeable because it was so out of character for him. Marner had none that I can recall.

All these stats are very subjective tbh, but there is no way anyone will ever convince me that Nylander is anything but a mercurial one-dimensional winger.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Just look at the mindset and attitude of Pasta. And then compare it to the entitled attitude of Marner. Not ONCE in 8 years has Marner ever taken responsibility for his shit play instead blaming media, fans and everyone else

The young kids that are up and coming MUST BE PROTECTED from this sense of entitlement. Marner CANNOT BE ALLOWED to effect their mindset and attitude with cancerous sense of entitlement

Don't believe me? Just look at Pasta's response to criticism

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Expect Glove Throwing #2 if it happens.

Trey said he "likes to keep good players" when he signed Nylander.

That makes me worry.

Honestly. I think he did his one year little re-tool and hopefully now he realizes this is a bigger issue, it's an identity issue, it's a core 4 issue.

Not just add a bit more truculence and call it a day, and I think he has.

Another first round exit is legitimately inexcusable given the so called quality and skilled players on this team.

So I think he trades him, makes a big shake up, but my actual honest fear.

Is that we lose the trade. But I maintain we will not win with Marner so it's time for him to go.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad