Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Marner agrees to waive his nmc (big if), I think a lot of people underestimate how big of a return he could bring.

Sure, it's only 1 year. But keep in mind a few things.

Half the teams in the league don't care about his playoff performances because they'd be thrilled to just make the playoffs in the first place.

And this is the big point. Half the teams in the league (probably more) care far more about real money value than cap hits. They'd be getting 1 year of Marner for 700k. Imagine all those poor teams with no star power getting a 100 point player for a season for league minimum. It would be pretty big trade value.
Marner is still only 27. Toronto would likely get a 1st + 2nd + Decent prospect if they just wanted to trade him for futures, and I imagine there would be at least a handful of teams willing to pay at this upcoming draft.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thinking we're going to get a new 1D for Marner is a pipe dream and there's zero chance Rielly will be asked to waive his NMC.

I think the one team that makes sense is Columbus. It would have to be a bigger trade but something around Laine/Werenski for Marner, Liljegren, Robertson would make a lot of sense.

CBJ has a ton of young defenseman and young forwards coming up

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
Any and all Marner discussion is a waste of energy. He is not a Leaf past next summer.

He will want to run away for money and sunshine more than we want him to leave, I have zero concerns about that.

Try and trade him this summer, or worst case you free $11M on a 28 year old winger that isn't good enough for what we're trying to do.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It certainly won't be easy .. but it takes stones to own and manage a team
Use those stones to ditch Marner. Anything you get back would be a win and 11 million in cap space can be used to make a much better playoff team. But you're not getting a 1D for him, a 1st round pick and a prospect or two is much more realistic.

Marner was a big fat zero in these playoffs. Give me a 1st rounder, a prospect or two and the cap space and the franchise is in a much better position already. JMHO.

I think the one team that makes sense is Columbus. It would have to be a bigger trade but something around Laine/Werenski for Marner, Liljegren, Robertson would make a lot of sense.

Hard to see how it makes sense for Columbus and not sure Marner would waive to go there but whatever. I'd be happy just with the cap space he'd free up at this point though if he agrees to waive, we'll obviously get some assets back as well.

Not that interested in Laine either.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
This is why he needs to go
1000011876.jpg

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thinking we're going to get a new 1D for Marner is a pipe dream and there's zero chance Rielly will be asked to waive his NMC.
Doesn't help that there are 5-6 Dmen this board would consider a true #1 watching them night I'm and night out.

We just watched McAvoy play a full series where he was directly responsive for 3 GWG against. No chance we're coming out of that praising him.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The one fact you pointed out is he did in fact shot it in the net once last night and twice the game before . In a 2 game span not one of the other players let alone the 11 million dollar club put one in the net……..so ya Willy gets the love he is deserving of right now
So basically some people are mad that Willy gave us some steak instead of the Marner sizzle? Wow...I was a Willy hater up until the last few series where it was evident he was the only guy with any clutch ability whatsoever. But to try and degrade what he does because their favorite Carlton the Bear Hugger can't do the same thing is ridiculous.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Use those stones to ditch Marner. Anything you get back would be a win and 11 million in cap space can be used to make a much better playoff team. But you're not getting a 1D for him, a 1st round pick and a prospect or two is much more realistic.

Marner was a big fat zero in these playoffs. Give me a 1st rounder, a prospect or two and the cap space and the franchise is in a much better position already. JMHO.

Hard to see how it makes sense for Columbus and not sure Marner would waive to go there but whatever. I'd be happy just with the cap space he'd free up at this point though if he agrees to waive, we'll obviously get some assets back as well.

Not that interested in Laine either.

CBJ has a bunch of young defenseman pushing and CBJ is interested in making the playoffs not necessarily winning. They need good gate revenue. They need to keep fans interested. A lot of players love Columbus as a city.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy and Matty just flat out have much better playoff hockey skills than Mitch .. too many folks on here don't truly understand da difference between pro playoff hockey and regular season hockey .. 2 different games truly .. i was completely shocked my 1st year pro in da I with da massive difference in speed and physical play .. it is a 10% faster game and more intense on a puck .. some guys flat out just can't dial it up due to a lack of skills .. it is not WANT .. every guy who makes it to pro hockey has da WANT .. blaming guys who don't have it doesn't get you anywhere .. team needs to retool with 3 guys who clearly don't have it or lost it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
CBJ has a bunch of young defenseman pushing and CBJ is interested in making the playoffs not necessarily winning. They need good gate revenue. They need to keep fans interested. A lot of players love Columbus as a city.

I still think Utah would have interest.
None of their players carry the pedigree of marner, and none of their players have any connection to Utah.

Why would he waive to go there?

It's only 1 year, unless marner agrees to a sign and trade situation to a team of his choice.

He could also get top billing, something he'll never get in Toronto, even before this series.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If he isn't open to it then I would rather buyout vs paying another team to take on the entire contract (marleau style).

Obviously a PLD style trade would be the optimal solution but given how petty Marner and co have been so far I fully expect him to stick to the leafs in every way possible.

Letting this shit show drag on another year is not an option.
I thought about how difficult it would be to trade MM when the receiving team would want to possibly sign him to an extension in a sign in trade so they know the capital they give up isn't just for 1 year until I thought of Dubois and that fiasco.

I'll bet you any team that is in the market for MM will probably want to take him for his last year of contract just to see if he can thrive away from the spotlight here. The bigger question is...will Marner only want to go to a team that is willing to do a sign and trade vs a team that would like to see his performance before committing? If that's the case...it will be harder to move him and you might have to just either bench him or play light minutes on the 3rd or 4th line until he capitulates.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If this could work, that would be awesome. Getting young defenseman pushing for Marner would be a dream come true.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Man, I just went back and looked through some of my posts after the Columbus series humiliation. I was already calling for Marner being traded. The names people were calling me. I made people FURIOUS. After the Montreal series embarrassment I went into overdrive calling for a Marner trade. Reading the rationalizations of the people opposed to it (pretty much everybody in this subforum) are fascinating to watch. I find it borderline scary how dead wrong everybody was about something that seemed so blatantly obvious to me.

So here we are now in the first freaking season of his nmc. And now everybody has come around to what was so glaringly necessary even 4 playoff losses ago. I'll say it again. It's the first year of his nmc when everyone finally came around to trading Marner. I don't know man. This fanbase. I almost think leaf fans deserve all of this.

Just here patting myself on the back and saying "I told you so". Yeah, seems petty. But I'm a leaf fan. Being petty is all I have at this point.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Marner is still only 27. Toronto would likely get a 1st + 2nd + Decent prospect if they just wanted to trade him for futures, and I imagine there would be at least a handful of teams willing to pay at this upcoming draft.
I'd be more than happy with this return + 11m in cap space. The ship sailed years ago on a straight up Marner "hockey trade" when there were plenty of dance partners.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That's another question. How do they develop and draft so many D and this super power hockey team cant develop tenders or Dmen.

Marner for help at D is the hope.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Man, I just went back and looked through some of my posts after the Columbus series humiliation. I was already calling for Marner being traded. The names people were calling me. I made people FURIOUS. After the Montreal series embarrassment I went into overdrive calling for a Marner trade. Reading the rationalizations of the people opposed to it (pretty much everybody in this subforum) are fascinating to watch. I find it borderline scary how dead wrong everybody was about something that seemed so blatantly obvious to me.

So here we are now in the first freaking season of his nmc. And now everybody has come around to what was so glaringly necessary even 4 playoff losses ago. I'll say it again. It's the first year of his nmc when everyone finally came around to trading Marner. I don't know man. This fanbase. I almost think leaf fans deserve all of this.

Just here patting myself on the back and saying "I told you so". Yeah, seems petty. But I'm a leaf fan. Being petty is all I have at this point.
After the MTL series, all I said was we should look into the possibility and if the return was massive (which I assumed it would be), then we should consider doing it and I was crucified. Lost track of how many times I heard "you never win a trade like that".

I don't mind joining you in the "petty" club at this point. One point I made a number of times this season is that Marner for Selke is a joke, Matthews is much more valuable on D because he has the much harder job of covering the best players in the league (and of course he does it very well). Not just Matthews, but any number of centres would be ahead of Marner on my list.

I felt pretty gratified when I just saw the news - Matthews has been nominated for the Selke. The Lady Byng too which I don't care about but he's certainly a valid Selke candidate, good for him!

CBJ has three stud defense prospects

David Jiricek
Denton Mateychuk
Corson Ceulemans

I’d take any of the three tbh.
So would I. But then, I'd take a bucket of chicken for him at this point if we didn't have to retaion too much salary and there were no better offers.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nylander >>>>> Marner
Never mind Nylander, I'm feeling so petty I almost feel like digging up some of the Matthews>Marner posts.

He kills penalties ... he's the best defensive forward in the NHL ... he's the smartest player hockey history ... the PP runs through him ... he's the engine of the team ... legends row ... all-time great ...

Thinking back on it now, the amount of drivel we've had to put up with from the Marner fanboys is unreal. All I can say is that I really hope that this is finally the end of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad