Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm looking at what cost us the series and it wasn't marner is all I'm saying. Leafs were the clear cut better team over the last 3 games and pasta and Marchand were totally useless for most of it.

All I'm saying is trading marner as the first thing is just doing something dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. Like trading for Karlsson and acting like you did something great because it was a headline smasher.

This team only lack a true top 4 puck mover and a goalie. It doesn't require blockbuster moves. Tre built a very hard team to play against
I agree Marner didn't cost us the series, it's never just one player.

You trade Marner not for the sake of being dramatic, you trade Marner to make a better playoff team. Even if we get nothing back for him, we can use the cap space to get that top 4 puck mover and a goalie you say we need and already we're tougher to play against.

We won 3 games this spring, Marner's contribution was as the saying goes - sweet f*** all.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
MM was puck watching. He was not moving his feet. He lost his man who blew past him and lost this series for us. His play was incredibly soft the whole series and I cant count the times we turned over the puck due to him not fighting for it.

He is a skills darling and a playoff loser. Its clear as clear can be. He had the opportunity to do what Nylander did the past two games and instead he played scared. Indecisive hockey. Where he could advance for a shot, he makes a risky pass.

There is no longer a defense for this player. He is not Gretzky or anything like him. He is a choker and that's sad for us. That little boy should never speak of Dougie after that performance. Embarrassing.

Slow motion the Pasta OT goal.

No one’s excusing him. I’m disappointed in Mitch’s play and agree that a trade is needed. He was sleeping on that play.

I’m just talking in general, the same guys love doing this. @ToneDog trying to create a narrative that Pastrnak was able to play through physicality is a straight up lie. Pastrnak was ineffective the entire series. He took advantage of a non-physical break down.

Be pissed at Marner’s defensive coverage on that, but people gotta stop making up narratives. It’s what my 8th grade students do when they get upset

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Pasta does not have a 69 goal scorer helping him. He has 36 year old Marchand. They hardly play together and when they do they are dangerous. That puck to Marner's face woke him up. Played well but that was regular season, these were playoffs. Pasta was targeted by the Leafs D all series and was not afraid to drive to the net. Mitch did his best to avoid contact.

LOL there was no one in front of the net to be afraid of on that play. If Rielly is there where he’s supposed to be pasta ain’t driving the net there.

Reactions: arso40

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No one’s excusing him. I’m disappointed in Mitch’s play and agree that a trade is needed. He was sleeping on that play.

I’m just talking in general, the same guys love doing this. @ToneDog trying to create a narrative that Pastrnak was able to play through physicality is a straight up lie. Pastrnak was ineffective the entire series. He took advantage of a non-physical break down.

Be pissed at Marner’s defensive coverage on that, but people gotta stop making up narratives. It’s what my 8th grade students do when they get upset

We did a good job on them as well. I agree. This team won that series if not for tending and more importantly Keefe and his special teams.

Not trying to create narratives but the franchise cant let this go on. Its not fair to the guys that want to win and are willing to spit teeth and chop organs out to win a cup.

WN AM - Hats off to the two big contracts that performed in a very tight checking affair.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
LOL there was no one in front of the net to be afraid of on that play. If Rielly is there where he’s supposed to be pasta ain’t driving the net there.
Pasta was not at his best but he was not Casper the ghost. Other than MacAvoy, the Bruins D was no where near as physical as the Leafs D. How many times did you see Marner turn away from traffic and how many times did he drive the net?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Where do you think Rielly was supposed to be? It's a cross ice dump in from the red line

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

"But but but Mitch playing like shit was ok cause the other team's star player was too!"

Enough with these pathetic excuses already.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Always on the right side of the puck, always responsible.

His series can be summed up in the second period when he has an easy drive to the net move and instead he curled away behind the net. It just isn't good enough in the playoffs. He was a disappointment, not terrible, but never once did he lead the team, set a tone or make a real difference. He was mostly a tertiary contributor and forever on the margins, doesn't work that way in the playoffs and he simply hasn't figured out how to translate his game.

I haven't read the man child "I hate my life" projections here, nor will I, but I'd like to go on record as a "fan boy" to say Marner let me down again and I'd be open to anything as far as he goes. Just not good enough for the cap hit, nor the A, nor his history, nor confidence going forward.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Time for Tre to show us he can do the job. The challenge is to get Marner to waive his NMC, and then get something back for him. If he can engineer a sign and trade so that Marner goes somewhere he's willing to commit to for 8 years and that team wants him badly enough that they'll give us something of decent value in return, I will worship at his feet. Marner probably won't want to waive but that's where you need to put pressure on him to do just that, that's where Tre needs to earn his money. And if he pressures him and Marner refuses to waive, then let the cupcake walk after next season. And if instead, he gives Marner an 8x12+ contract that dooms the team to another decade of irrelevance, he can rot in hell.

Balls in your court monsieur Treliving, show us what you've got.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
"But but but Mitch playing like shit was ok cause the other team's star player was too!"

Where did anyone say that? No one said that. Who’s excusing mitch’s play, not me. No brain cells with that post

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm telling you guys.

Every bad thing that happened in the last 3 games can be linked back to Liljegren as the origin point. Run the tape back.

This literally sounds like a conspiracy theory. Liljegren on the grassy knoll.

Leaf fans and trying to single out a single player as the fault of everything in a team game - usually the goalies - is like a form of mental illness.

Besides this is the “blame Marner for everything” thread!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Time for Tre to show us he can do the job. The challenge is to get Marner to waive his NMC, and then get something back for him. If he can engineer a sign and trade so that Marner goes somewhere he's willing to commit to for 8 years and that team wants him badly enough that they'll give us something of decent value in return, I will worship at his feet. Marner probably won't want to waive but that's where you need to put pressure on him to do just that, that's where Tre needs to earn his money. And if he pressures him and Marner refuses to waive, then let the cupcake walk after next season. And if instead, he gives Marner an 8x12+ contract that dooms the team to another decade of irrelevance, he can rot in hell.

Marner is fixated on another Toronto Overpayment™ and I have a seriously hard time seeing him waiving a NMC. The kid knows for a fact that nowhere comes close to toronto when it comes to $$$.

I fully expect a lot of "I finally see the light" narrative from Mitch to try keep himself on the team.

Reactions: thewave

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Hopefully he got all the bad moves out of his system in CGY. Lets hope this doesn't end up like the Monahan situation. Or Gaudreau. Or Tkachuk.

Reactions: saffronleaf

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Always on the right side of the puck, always responsible.

His series can be summed up in the second period when he has an easy drive to the net move and instead he curled away behind the net. It just isn't good enough in the playoffs. He was a disappointment, not terrible, but never once did he lead the team, set a tone or make a real difference. He was mostly a tertiary contributor and forever on the margins, doesn't work that way in the playoffs and he simply hasn't figured out how to translate his game.

I haven't read the man child "I hate my life" projections here, nor will I, but I'd like to go on record as a "fan boy" to say Marner let me down again and I'd be open to anything as far as he goes. Just not good enough for the cap hit, nor the A, nor his history, nor confidence going forward.

It sucks. He could actually have corrected a lot of his own mess by simply not playing scared. Maybe it was just me but i thought there were a lot of instances where if he held the puck a half second more we could have had more scoring chances and possession.

He played a lot of hot potato over fear

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He's not a playoff player. PERIOD.

He needs the refs to enforce the regular season ruleset. When it switches to physical intense hockey he doesn't have the skillset.

And for all the IQ just let's Pasta blow in at full speed, wasn't even a turnstile. Unbelievable

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner is fixated on another Toronto Overpayment™ and I have a seriously hard time seeing him waiving a NMC. The kid knows for a fact that nowhere comes close to toronto when it comes to $$$.

I fully expect a lot of "I finally see the light" narrative from Mitch to try keep himself on the team.
Marner is done here. They will trade him or let him walk IMO. Will be interesting to see what another team is willing to pay him.

Reactions: TheShape

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Haha.

Sure.

Bridge deal 11AAV x3. No NMC.

Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad