Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's HF boards, this is like my 15th account.

You're bragging that you've spent your whole time here on your knees repeating whatever the at the time safest opinion is?

Keep grinding out those achievement awards by sucking up to mods.
Safest opinion? I've been saying Marner isn't worth his contract since day 1 of his contract. If you had "15" accounts you would know this. You most definitely haven't been around here for 20 years. Fill us in on your previous account names? Why hide them?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Can’t blame a guy for taking a guess.

Whatever man, can’t doubt the passion I suppose. Long since my role to get in to it. There’s a name now rolling in my head the pre-dates me, Sluzzo or Sluggo or something, grabbing straws back to posting in NHL boards in 2003 and stuff lol..

Go Leafs Go right?
Sluggo is a legend. Back at chat.mapleleafs.com, during the 05-06 season when the Leafs'veteran roster was putting together the first of many non playoff seasons, he did more to get the fanbase used to the necessity of a real rebuild than anyone else.

I was an early convert of his. So was spinner. The leader of the opposing faction (everything is fine, JFJ is doing great, it's better to try to make the playoffs and fail, than it is to tank and have a high pick, teams that tank and draft their own superstars don't win cups, low picks are just as likely to be superstars, pogge will be just as good as Rask...) was a piece of work named Carmissimo. Koho was his number one henchman.

Reactions: William Johnson

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Safest opinion? I've been saying Marner isn't worth his contract since day 1 of his contract. If you had "15" accounts you would know this. You most definitely haven't been around here for 20 years. Fill us in on your previous account names? Why hide them?

Can’t blame a guy for taking a guess.

Whatever man, can’t doubt the passion I suppose. Long since my role to get in to it. There’s a name now rolling in my head the pre-dates me, Sluzzo or Sluggo or something, grabbing straws back to posting in NHL boards in 2003 and stuff lol..

Go Leafs Go right?
My first post was to take a shot at everyone burying Mitch. I'll apologize for have it devolve in flamish behavoir. Meant it more generally than personal.

I don't know everyone's take, made some assumptions.

Let's piss on Boston's grave tonight together.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you read the Bruins board a bit they are busy running Pasta out of town. It’s just emotion.

15th account lol.. now I’m curious. Moose, is that you?
Do you think they would be willing to move him for Marner? Doubt it, he is pretty much their only threat to score a goal.

Spoiler alert: teams do not run players who outperform their cap hits, out of town. It is why many prefer to move Marner than to overpay on an overpay (Nylander) after overpaying for 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I thought Marner was pretty good last night. Not game dominating super crazy elite 11 million dollar man good, but pretty good. We also won back to back two of the best defensive games we've ever played so I'm just enjoying the moment, plenty of time to complain about individual players later.
Marner is good but we have two game breakers in Mathews and Nylander and Tavares looks ok too, just not $11 Million worth. We have more pressing needs and Marner will want $12 Million.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner is good but we have two game breakers in Mathews and Nylander and Tavares looks ok too, just not $11 Million worth. We have more pressing needs and Marner will want $12 Million.
Sweet goal in the third, down 3-0, in the worst game of this series.
Sweet assist on Knies goal.
Assist on pass to McCabe who floats one in from the point.

Time to move on. He is not and has not been an $11m player, let alone what he will demand.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Sweet goal in the third, down 3-0, in the worst game of this series.
Sweet assist on Knies goal.
Assist on pass to McCabe who floats one in from the point.

Time to move on. He is not and has not been an $11m player, let alone what he will demand.
I think Cowan making OHL MVP makes the Leafs think twice. $12 Million may get you two very nice players.I.e top 2 Dman and a proven winning Goalie. Woll is hot but there are questions on his durability.We own rentaled Hyman.

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The problem with taking Marner out is of course the fact you probably cant replace him, especially defensively.

For example over the last 4 playoffs, he's been matched up against the other teams best players and mostly shut them down while still leading the team in points (about the same level of scoring as Robertson, Point, Barkov and Pasta over that stretch).

If you were to squish out his playoff numbers over those 4 years into a season, you would get .935 PPG (19th in the NHL over that stretch) and a +34 (this would tie for 10th for the highest +/- in a Leafs season history). Just looking at 5v5 goal differential, he sits at around 70% and relative to what his teammates have put up, hes one of the most valuable 5v5 players in the playoffs.

I mean, if this was one of the "bad" players, one would think we were talking about a cup winning team...but instead we are talking about a player who, not only leads the team in points over this stretch, but who also may be the best 5v5 defensive winger in the entire league over this stretch.

I maintained that the Leafs have suffered defeats mainly because of playing Campbells and Samsonovs against the Prices, Vasys, and Bobs and have been suffering from the issue of a good team making mediocre goalies look good and then having to play them against an incredible division awash with top end goalies. How many games have been lost because of some weak goal givien up in a big game in a tight series? The switch to Woll has shown what its finally like to actually get good goaltending and the team (including Marner) has done an incredible job limiting Pasta.

He could crap the bed tonight of course and give credence to the critics but I'm just saying the numbers look really weird from the narratives.

We all know the answer here though. Just win.....then we wouldnt have anything to bitch about right? I hope the brick Woll can hold up.

GLG!

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The problem with taking Marner out is of course the fact you probably cant replace him, especially defensively.

For example over the last 4 playoffs, he's been matched up against the other teams best players and mostly shut them down while still leading the team in points (about the same level of scoring as Robertson, Point, Barkov and Pasta over that stretch).

If you were to squish out his playoff numbers over those 4 years into a season, you would get .935 PPG (19th in the NHL over that stretch) and a +34 (this would tie for 10th for the highest +/- in a Leafs season history). Just looking at 5v5 goal differential, he sits at around 70% and relative to what his teammates have put up, hes one of the most valuable 5v5 players in the playoffs.

I mean, if this was one of the "bad" players, one would think we were talking about a cup winning team...but instead we are talking about a player who, not only leads the team in points over this stretch, but who also may be the best 5v5 defensive winger in the entire league over this stretch.

I maintained that the Leafs have suffered defeats mainly because of playing Campbells and Samsonovs against the Prices, Vasys, and Bobs and have been suffering from the issue of a good team making mediocre goalies look good and then having to play them against an incredible division awash with top end goalies. How many games have been lost because of some weak goal givien up in a big game in a tight series? The switch to Woll has shown what its finally like to actually get good goaltending and the team (including Marner) has done an incredible job limiting Pasta.

He could crap the bed tonight of course and give credence to the critics but I'm just saying the numbers look really weird from the narratives.

We all know the answer here though. Just win.....then we wouldnt have anything to bitch about right? I hope the brick Woll can hold up.

GLG!
He is making 11 sheets today and wants 12 sheets tomorrow. He's a luxury at those numbers. I think we should be able to replace him with a couple of players. Danault shut down Matthews and is making $5.5m.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Considering he cant clutch like Nylander. Two well rounded players are a better investment. Game 6 was not impressive at all.
He's pretty much been a disappointment once again. You have to cut bait unless regular season results trump playoffs. I don't think Pelley will allow them to run this core back again if they do not go at least 7 with Florida at worst.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

GLG!

I think he'll be re-signed, although Shanahan may resign if things go poorly.

I don't think marner will resign, his contract runs another year and I'm guessing he wants that money. He isn't resigning with that much money on the table is he?

But my question on his points totals ... where do those points from from?

PlayerS/CPosGPGAPG/P
John TavaresLC371212240.50
Jake MuzzinLD224480.50
Auston MatthewsLC542324470.49
William NylanderRR531923420.45
Zach HymanRL3258130.38
Ryan O'ReillyLC113690.33
Alex KerfootLC3049130.31
Morgan RiellyLD561129400.28
Mitch MarnerRR561139500.22

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

GLG!
Where do you get the idea that you can't replace his defence with 11 mil? You can get his defence a top pair D and still have money left over for that kind of money

GLG!
And he is not a better defensive forward then matthews give it a rest

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I haven't liked his game through 2 games but I don't see the problem with this one at all.

He's clearly trying to gain the inside edge and try to stop the puck from getting out. It's not like he's doing this in our zone. He's doing it in the Bruins zone to try and get that puck.
It's weird that you have to explain hockey on a hockey site that's populated by hockey fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad