Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Several years more? Its been 8. Paying someone a top wage to learn on the job and hope they become worth their contract seems like a pretty stupid business decision. Though, Dubas, Keefe, Marner and a plethora of assistant coaches have been given this opportunity by Shanahan. Why stop now?

Do you think Bert and Domi will take a "team friendly" deal so we can continue to overpay poor delicate Marner? Hyman certainly didn't want to.
:thumbu:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
5 Bruins and 4 leafs feuding in the Bruins crease... and the 5th Leaf, Mitch Marner stays 20 feet away watching. 2:43 of the video below. What a leader!

If you look at the TOI report, he had just stepped on the ice as Domi tried the wraparound.

The thing I noticed the most is that the Boston players tend to keep their sticks in a scrum - like holding a roll of quarters in your fist.

Also Marchand staying on the fringe until he spots Mitch and goes over to attack him.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
5 Bruins and 4 leafs feuding in the Bruins crease... and the 5th Leaf, Mitch Marner stays 20 feet away watching. 2:43 of the video below. What a leader!

Marchands a real pric he knew marner was far from the scrum and brought it to him lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Several years more? Its been 8. Paying someone a top wage to learn on the job and hope they become worth their contract seems like a pretty stupid business decision. Though, Dubas, Keefe, Marner and a plethora of assistant coaches have been given this opportunity by Shanahan. Why stop now?

Do you think Bert and Domi will take a "team friendly" deal so we can continue to overpay poor delicate Marner? Hyman certainly didn't want to.
Marner's situation is very different to Bertuzzi, Domi, and Hyman though.

There's multiple reasons why he's struggled to perform here - some of them we probably aren't even aware of.

But you have to think the contract, and the weight of expectations that it brings to his shoulders, is one of them. Which is why the idea of him taking a lesser deal, to perhaps ease some of that pressure and improve this relationship with the fans, could go a long way. Regardless of what he does, I don't think this can be a prolonged, bitter, and extended negotiation the way his previous deal was. There's a reason almost no one gives Morgan Rielly a hard time - not only did he sign a team friendly deal, but he also signed it with minimal fuss. That goes a long way for fan perception. None of this might matter, and he might not have any interest in doing this, but it's just a suggestion that I think needs to happen.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

There's multiple reasons why he's struggled to perform here - some of them we probably aren't even aware of.

But you have to think the contract, and the weight of expectations that it brings to his shoulders, is one of them. Which is why the idea of him taking a lesser deal, to perhaps ease some of that pressure and improve this relationship with the fans, could go a long way. Regardless of what he does, I don't think this can be a prolonged, bitter, and extended negotiation the way his previous deal was. There's a reason almost no one gives Morgan Rielly a hard time - not only did he sign a team friendly deal, but he also signed it with minimal fuss. That goes a long way for fan perception. None of this might matter, and he might not have any interest in doing this, but it's just a suggestion that I think needs to happen.
I wouldn't say riellys deal was team friendly he's not a number 1 dman though I love how he went about it I'm sure we can name more than 30 dmen better than him most teams have 2 he's a rover his skill is his skating his iq isn't top tier his defence isn't top tier his shot isn't top tier just his skating to be honest and he can fluke his way through a couple plays just by playing soo much he's a big boy and he's not even physical not tryna rip the guy or nothing but 7.5 for him was a good deal for 8 years as a life time leaf the contract isn't bad but it's not really team friendly

Reactions: ruaware41

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wouldn't say riellys deal was team friendly he's not a number 1 dman though I love how he went about it I'm sure we can name more than 30 dmen better than him most teams have 2
He gets more than $60m if he hits free agency, so it feels like a team win, even if it's a small one.

I'm not saying Marner has to sign a deal for $4m - but if he can get a deal done that feels as though the team won, and that he made some concessions to help the team, that would go a long way to change his perception amongst the fanbase.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and egd27

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If a team can afford to pay there number 2 7.5 and contend then their teams structure is amazing and I say that to be nice you know who I'd argue is worth more McCabe

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I wouldn't say riellys deal was team friendly he's not a number 1 dman though I love how he went about it I'm sure we can name more than 30 dmen better than him most teams have 2 he's a rover his skill is his skating his iq isn't top tier his defence isn't top tier his shot isn't top tier just his skating to be honest and he can fluke his way through a couple plays just by playing soo much he's a big boy and he's not even physical not tryna rip the guy or nothing but 7.5 for him was a good deal for 8 years as a life time leaf the contract isn't bad but it's not really team friendly
Punctuation... it's what's for dinner.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

The prolonged and bitter is Mitchy, not the Leafs. He had 2 big friends in court, Dubas and Shanny, he already got a coach fired (deserved). He, daddy and the Muskoka folks are the issue, not Leafs, he us the one that has to step up. He is the one who must grow a pair or leave. He is ruining his reputation, or should I say, earning his new reputation. Not the Leafs, not the players, not the fans , HE IS EARNING THE REPUTATION, and only he can step up.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
The prolonged and bitter is Mitchy, not the Leafs. He had 2 big friends in court, Dubas and Shanny, he already got a coach fired (deserved). He, daddy and the Muskoka folks are the issue, not Leafs, he us the one that has to step up. He is the one who must grow a pair or leave. He is ruining his reputation, or should I say, earning his new reputation. Not the Leafs, not the players, not the fans , HE IS EARNING THE REPUTATION, and only he can step up.
:thumbu:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It was a great deal when he signed but I'm now thinking it might not age well and perhaps he should be part of a package to get us a true #1. Sure, easier said than done but I doubt we can fit in more than $7.5m for a true #1 dman if Rielly stays.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
176 pages of people bitchin about Mitch, and him being heavily booed on Saturday, suggests otherwise, but please - don't let facts get in the way of your hate boner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is going to be an interesting off-season.

Hopefully, there are several more games before we see lockers emptied, perhaps permanently for some.

I don't see marner being moved.
He won't agree to move even for Matthews money.
He understands there is going to be weight to bear. He knows the market. He's in his own bubble not in with the paying customer.

It will make for an interesting time in July, for he and Tavares.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you look at the TOI report, he had just stepped on the ice as Domi tried the wraparound.

The thing I noticed the most is that the Boston players tend to keep their sticks in a scrum - like holding a roll of quarters in your fist.

Also Marchand staying on the fringe until he spots Mitch and goes over to attack him.
You see Marner at 10 seconds of this video, he coasts into the screen while 4 leafs are in the crease vs 5 Bruins but turns away from it. Later more grappling breaks out and Marner is standing still watching it from afar, he than pees himself when the smallest player on the ice comes after him.

Not much different than last playoffs when Reilly got filled in at the end of the game and while numerous Leafs come to Reillys defense, assistant captain, Mitch Marner literally acts like nothing is happening and attempts to skate by it lol (but is caught by Tkachuk and forced into the scrum).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

He's above the dots when the whistle goes - he gets a penalty.

It's also why the Leafs eventual powerplay started outside the Boston zone.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
176 pages of people bitchin about Mitch, and him being heavily booed on Saturday, suggests otherwise, but please - don't let facts get in the way of your hate boner
No hate.
No idea what you mean by booing and bitching bing not about his performance.
All I said is he isbreonsible for his reputation, not the fans, not team mates nit referees...his play is his reputation. That is a fact.
If uou have any facts bring them out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He gets more than $60m if he hits free agency, so it feels like a team win, even if it's a small one.

I'm not saying Marner has to sign a deal for $4m - but if he can get a deal done that feels as though the team won, and that he made some concessions to help the team, that would go a long way to change his perception amongst the fanbase.
I don't see Marner signing a deal without getting a higher AAV then Nylander. And based on his history, he could very well view a deal for 11.9 as a concession to help the team.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No hate.
No idea what you mean by booing and bitching bing not about his performance.
All I said is he isbreonsible for his reputation, not the fans, not team mates nit referees...his play is his reputation. That is a fact.
If uou have any facts bring them out.
It's a fact that he gets unwarranted hate here.

I'm fine with the criticism - and have been part of that criticism. At no point did I suggest he isn't responsible for that criticism.

But the hate is excessive. That's factual.

I don't see Marner signing a deal without getting a higher AAV then Nylander. And based on his history, he could very well view a deal for 11.9 as a concession to help the team.
I don't either - just commenting on what a long way it would go were he to, in repairing his toxic relationship with subsections of the fanbase.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's strange why certain players get singled out for the fans scorn. It got like this like against Zach Hyman for some reason too. Weird.
People who know hockey, knew the value Hyman brought. People who know hockey, see that Marner is not near worth his contract. This isn't just one series for Marner... this is every series. Same issues we see today, are the same issues Babcock spoke about in his first postseason and were published in articles. Over 100 consecutive games with no pp goal, 18 consecutive playoff games without a goal. Never has shown up in an elimination game. Cant break 100 points with one of the best centers in the game. Numerous critical giveaways that led to goal in big games in playoffs. Complains all the time to media about mean treatment. Makes everything about him in interviews, ie Samsonovs struggles and comeback, Bedards first year, Matthews 60th goal etc..Doesnt get involved physically in games.... literally paying this guy to suck at everything but apparently defense and picking up assists on a team that has had three 40-60 goal players since 2019. Those players also have proven to not need him to help themnscore either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad