Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
He's been great today. And amazing back check in the 3rd.
I said it in Game 1; the problem wasn't Marner, it was Tavares. I'm glad he came up big in OT, but too often offensive plays die on Tavares' stick nowadays. And I'd argue that a big part of their PP failure is that Boston has figured out that it's easiest to force the puck to Tavares and then double-team him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

IMG_8270.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nice game by everyone, and especially Marner. Begs the question - why did they play so badly last couple of games?

Whatever. Let's hope this is bizarro Marner now - aimlessly wanders around for 4 games, then wakes up and is magic Mitch the rest of the way.

Looking forward to the next one, curious to see which Marner (and which team) shows up.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Good game by Marner. As much as it sucks to admit he's better at hockey than Nylander. I have a hard time believing he hasn't been nursing a lingering injury that affected his play this post season but he looked much better tonight offensively. Defensively he's been good enough all series but I get the criticism of he isn't paid 11m to be a good defensive forward.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Second time in two years that Tavares and Knies have created a goal in an elimination game in OT. Yet somehow people are propping Marner up and putting down Tavares right now. Meanwhile, you can add another no show in an elimination game for Marner offensively.

Reactions: arso40

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Marner was decent today.

I thought his first period was exceptional and then he got into his bad habits again including the curl back and circling. But this was a better game for him than what he's been doing in games 1-4.

It was Tavares that had an absolute shocker of a game (minus the OT power move).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Second time in two years that Tavares and Knies have created a goal in an elimination game in OT. Yet somehow people are propping Marner up and putting down Tavares right now. Meanwhile, you can add another no show in an elimination game for Marner offensively.
Marner had a good game

He created a lot of chances and pmayed well defensively

Best game of his series

Was the 2nd best leaf after Domi tonight. Domi if he had more IQ/less prone to passing would have helped us blow out the bruins

Dont break L1 now once Matthews is back

Run Knies - Matthews - Nylander as L2

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner had a good game

Best game of his series

Was the 2nd best leaf after Domi tonight. Domi if he had more IQ/less prone to passing would have helped us blow out the bruins

The entire team had a good game. It's been 8 years and we are still waiting for him to make a difference offensively in just one elimination game. Thank god for Tavares.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The entire team had a good game. It's been 8 years and we are still waiting for him to make a difference offensively in just one elimination game. Thank god for Tavares.
Tavares had a piss poor game before a lucky bounce ended to the front of the net which knies cleaned up

If your going to have a hate boner for Marner on a game where he was good, than Tavares should not be excused for being crap through 5 games so far.

Tavares needs a good game 6 and 7 still as does marner.

Woll played hero as our line of defense and tavares + knies the heros offensively today. Hopefully game 6 and 7 we dont need these type of plays and can get some goals to give us an eaay win

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM was much much much better than the past 4 games. Hopefully, it was his usual slow start and not just a blip in the radar today.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner had a good game

Best game of his series

Tavares line actually had a better xgf and better xga than Marners
Tavares line: xgf 0.64 xga 0.19
Marner line: xgf 0.62 xga 0.31

Marner 1 shot
Tavares 2 shots

Marners zone starts: 12x Ozone, x1neutral and 1x dzone
Tavares line zone starts: 4x in Ozone, 5x neutral and 5x dzone

Tavares cf% 64
Marner cf%: 60

Tavares ff% 65
Marner ff% 53

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Marners line started primarily offensive zone, while Tavares line primarily was sent out for defensive zone?

Also, according to the Athletic Tavares drew the harder matchup:

No Matthews, no problem for Toronto
The Bruins got a gift. Auston Matthews was unavailable for Game 5. It allowed the Bruins to optimize their defensive matchups against Toronto’s new top line of Knies, Tavares and William Nylander.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
the issue isnt the interaction between marner/nylander/matthews. the issue is how this type of frustration for marner doesnt raise his game, it seems to make it worse, kid just cant handle the heat here. that being said ive enjoyed marner in the regular season and wish him the best, hes just not made for the pressure in toronto, caring too much can be equally as bad as not caring enough which i think is really his issue, he needs a team that he can just focus on playing, that isnt this city.
Actually I think the 4+ periods he's played since Nylander yelled at him have been his best in the playoffs, and arguably all season.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares line actually had a better xgf and better xga than Marners
Tavares line: xgf 0.64 xga 0.19
Marner line: xgf 0.62 xga 0.31

Marner 1 shot
Tavares 2 shots

Marners zone starts: 12x Ozone, x1neutral and 1x dzone
Tavares line zone starts: 4x in Ozone, 5x neutral and 5x dzone

Tavares cf% 64
Marner cf%: 60

Tavares ff% 65
Marner ff% 53

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Marners line started primarily offensive zone, while Tavares line primarily was sent out for defensive zone?

Also, according to the Athletic Tavares drew the harder matchup:

No Matthews, no problem for Toronto
The Bruins got a gift. Auston Matthews was unavailable for Game 5. It allowed the Bruins to optimize their defensive matchups against Toronto’s new top line of Knies, Tavares and William Nylander.
There is someone at The Athletic who still thinks a line with JT can be a 'top line'?

That's so cute.

Reactions: bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad