Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd be pretty surprised if a team that had a 5th overall would trade it for any player let alone Marner . Teams in that position is totally wrong timing to add a guy like Marner . Think Kessel trade .
Look what Sakic got for Duchene. Gotta find the right trade partner.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Yeah I'm not the best at trade proposals. Bo Horvat netted a 9th overall pick but Mitch's AAV harms his value otherwise i do think we could get a 5th overall. Factoring in his pay makes it complicated
Not when he's only signed for 1 yr left . Possible if he'd agree to a contract before but to me only a teams that thinks Mitch Marner is the difference between being a lottery team and making the playoffs . I just don't see that myself . Think he goes to a mid pack team .

sunstersun

May 12, 2017

Does Marner know how to skate in the playoffs without falling down or tripping?

I think I had a more smooth transition from backwards to forwards at age 10.

Reactions: supermann_98

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Does Marner know how to skate in the playoffs without falling down or tripping?

I think I had a more smooth transition from backwards to forwards at age 10.

While I don’t disagree, regardless of how you feel, he’s coming off a high ankle sprain. His skating and edge work has not looked the same since the injury. He’s not 100% in terms of the ankle

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While I don’t disagree, regardless of how you feel, he’s coming off a high ankle sprain. His skating and edge work has not looked the same since the injury. He’s not 100% in terms of the ankle
That's true. However, his skating hasn't looked that bad and most of the criticism has to do with things that have nothing to do with that. It's mostly mental fragility, bad decision making etc. that can be summarized as shambles of the brain.

Maybe he can succeed in the right environment. Put him on a team like Boston that has discipline, structure etc. and maybe then he can fly. He's not a leader though and we don't have the right leaders in Toronto to create that environment for him so it's never going to happen here. JMHO.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
That's true. However, his skating hasn't looked that bad and most of the criticism has to do with things that have nothing to do with that. It's mostly mental fragility, bad decision making etc. that can be summarized as shambles of the brain.

Maybe he can succeed in the right environment. Put him on a team like Boston that has discipline, structure etc. and maybe then he can fly. He's not a leader though and we don't have the right leaders in Toronto to create that environment for him so it's never going to happen here. JMHO.
All these guys remind of Boston when Kessel didn't fit the Boston mold so traded him. Then Seguin same thing. The story line is you play in Boston you buy into their game plan. The leafs don't have that kind profesionalism in their lockerroom and if they do it's far to late after turning the team over to a bunch of children .
Marner's sucky attitude all year and always deferring blame rather than owning up to responsibilty is pretty telling . Personally i think he's heading for a nervous breakdown . For his own good he need to move on.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Its time to let him go.

Shop him this summer, try to find a partner that will sign him long-term for the contract he wants (which clearly is going to be too much) so you can maximize his value.

He's never come to the forefront during the playoffs. Matthews has, Willy has, JT has, he never did.

Its clear he isn't as good as the other 2 from a mental makeup, even if some media members who have axes to grind and will state he's better than Matthews and Nylander.

Its time

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Marner's problem is between the ears, same as always. He was whipping around the ice just fine in the 3rd after Nylander promptly told him to stfu, just needed a kick in the ass.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All these guys remind of Boston when Kessel didn't fit the Boston mold so traded him. Then Seguin same thing. The story line is you play in Boston you buy into their game plan. The leafs don't have that kind profesionalism in their lockerroom and if they do it's far to late after turning the team over to a bunch of children .
Marner's sucky attitude all year and always deferring blame rather than owning up to responsibilty is pretty telling . Personally i think he's heading for a nervous breakdown . For his own good he need to move on.
Yeah we don't seem to have a game plan. I remember Shanahan's presser where he said the plan was to find guys that are willing to play in Toronto for less money. Somehow we ended up paying everyone more money instead, the plan went out the window, there is no new plan to take the place of the old one so we're just sort of flying around without a pilot going nowhere fast.

Seems like this organization is poison. Everyone who moves on from here seems to thrive, maybe Marner will too. And us fans are stuck here waiting for things to change. What a nightmare.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@Maple Leaf

1714312371126.png

You available to GM in September ?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is it really 8 years already with this core and only 1 playoff round win? What a nightmare this has turned into, seems like only yesterday when I had such high hopes and was filled with optimism.
Babs took the Bruins to game 7 2x and failed 2x to close them out. 5 years later and we are about to be eliminated/embarrassed in 5 by a much weaker Bruins team. I get you only have so many years of Matty, but they need to take a step back and reload. What they have done since Lou left is clearly not the right approach.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Is it really 8 years already with this core and only 1 playoff round win? What a nightmare this has turned into, seems like only yesterday when I had such high hopes and was filled with optimism.
My emotions are equal where I feel bad for them as players and don't doubt their commitment, but from a business perspective, they can't meet the expectations they set for themselves. I see many blame Keefe but i guarentee he isn't telling them to be soft and give up on puck battles.

Last game they had a delayed penalty to end a period and the players went for a line change! It's an immature team and ultimately we did this to them by telling them that they will innately win because they are gifted players.

Sad to see something that seemed so special come to an end. The only sadder thing is still thinking these 4 can do it alone

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Yep it really sucks.
I remember at the start, even the non Leaf fans were using words like Dynasty or coming to grips with the fact we'd most likely finally get our cup.
It also shows just how hard it is to win a championship and you need to be hitting on all cylinders (players, coaching, front office).
The thing is, it's not fully over yet seeing we have both Matthews and Nylander locked up for awhile but this next offseason and following season are extremely crucial, because if the right moves/direction aren't made, you can basically put a fork in it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah we don't seem to have a game plan. I remember Shanahan's presser where he said the plan was to find guys that are willing to play in Toronto for less money. Somehow we ended up paying everyone more money instead, the plan went out the window, there is no new plan to take the place of the old one so we're just sort of flying around without a pilot going nowhere fast.

Seems like this organization is poison. Everyone who moves on from here seems to thrive, maybe Marner will too. And us fans are stuck here waiting for things to change. What a nightmare.

Since the day they signed JT I have repeatedly said they needed a #1 #2 defencemen to go with the core. They tried with Muzzin, and he was good, but they needed another one.

This year’s group is the worst they’ve had as they literally can’t pass the puck. The coaches are also to blame as they don’t adjust the don’t change anything and let the bruins get between the D and the winger and break everything up in the neutral zone.

Reactions: supermann_98

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
"It's a put up year for Marner. Fans won't be fooled if he disappears again these playoffs."

I posted this prior to the playoffs and it seems it's beginning to play-out exactly as I suspected. Leafs fans will only tolerate so much before the blowhorns come out and stay out. Once the media begins to toe the line, it's all over.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
The house needs to be cleaned this summer, it’s clear by now if it wasn’t years ago. Shanahan needs to go, the entire coaching staff needs to go, and at least two of the core 4.

Sit Tavares and Marner down, tell them you would like them to waive their no-trade clauses, and you’ll do your best to find them a destination that is to their liking but you can’t guarantee anything. If one or both refuse to waive, then you simply let them walk at the end. I’d also strip Tavares of the captaincy.

At which point you have Pelley (or whoever the new president ends up being, or even Treliving) hold a press conference and state simply that the culture is about winning, and finding players who want to win. When Marner and Tavares walk, or are traded, the fans and media will fill in the blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad