Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
I think based on franchise history, they will give him a large extension as one of the highest paid players in the league. They don't care about post season success. Marner gives them what they want during the regular season. Dancing around to "hall and oates" or (whatever the new song is,) flapping his arms celebrating "garbage goals" during the regular season. This is unfortunately what the majority of this fan base enjoy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
GMs leak narratives to the media all the time. Believing otherwise is idiotic.
There is nothing to be gained by it other than causing a season long distraction.
What's idiotic is thinking this is a reasonable approach.

Reactions: hullsy47

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think based on franchise history, they will give him a large extension as one of the highest paid players in the league. They don't care about post season success. Marner gives them what they want during the regular season. Dancing around to "hall and oates" or (whatever the new song is,) flapping his arms celebrating "garbage goals" during the regular season. This is unfortunately what the majority of this fan base enjoy.

I think you’re right in that MLSE values the stable and bankable young star power of the individuals that make up the core, but I don’t necessarily agree that they can trot out the same (stale) product for another 8 seasons if playoffs will continue to be an annual problem. Not that the golden goose is at risk but the heat on the current group will eventually need a pressure outlet. All circus acts need new attractions eventually.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would say Willie was a lot more like Gaudreau, Huberdeau, Kadri in that he had no history of this level of production so his return to norm was almost guaranteed and when it happened it was like hitting a wall. In terms of being repeatable, doing it at 27 is not at all the same as doing it at 22-23 and the drop off fits with a typical hot half season for a lot of players. A player getting compensated like this for a mid career 50 game spike is like a lottery win. Good for Willie but you would think since Kadri and Huberdeau actually happened to Treliving he would have had a clue.

Marner had ups and downs but players don't give discounts for an injured season, especially when he was still on a 100 pt pace. I can't disagree that Mitch has way less leverage relative to his current salary but we know these guys use internal comps and his resume is three years of a 100 point clip so he will be trying to use Willie as his starting point. I am just guessing like you, but I don't expect him to be thinking team friendly or looking at legit external comparisons when the other two just hit home runs and I don't see Tre as any better of a negotiator than KD so it could be a rough one.
Domi season stats with Matthews are much much better than Marners. In pretty much all categories, this is just one of course...but check out natural stat trick and you will see that Domi's stats with Matthews are across the board generally better, in some cases alot better.

3.5 vs 11 million:

Domi with Matthews:
Total assists per 60 1.42
First assists per 60: 1.42

Marner with Matthews:
total assist per 60: 1.24
First assists per 60: 0.83

Linemates matter! Marner is benefitting from Matthews just as 3.5 million Domi. Maybe more even.

5vs5: In 11 games last playoffs, Marner had 2 goals and 6 points.
5vs5: In 3 games this playoffs, Domi has 1 goal and 3 points.

In 11 playoff games last season, Marner had 5 high danger shots total. Marner hasn't scored a high danger shot in the past 5 post-seasons.
In 3 playoff games this season, Domi has 5 high danger shots and 1 goal.

At what point do we stop making excuses for Marner... he's been blessed his entire career with wlite liblnemates, other players certainly have the same excuses and much more to contend with.

For 11 million since 2019, we should be expecting dominance... at least intermittently.
I don't think Marner has looked dominant for one shift let alone even a period. He looks average and more often than not overwhelmed like a teenager against men.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Even if all of that might be true, you don't run a guy out of town publicly - there's a right way to go about things.
Yes. Tell him we're not extending you and let his deal expire. But it doesn't matter. Sports Media will cause a firestorm around it anyway, because clicks.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Yup. Corporate NuHockey, where Regular Season Entertainment™ trumps (oh I'm sorry does that word offend someone) the toxic masculinity of building a playoff team capable of winning.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Even if all of that might be true, you don't run a guy out of town publicly - there's a right way to go about things.

Tampa has been embarrassing their captain in public all season. He's been begging for an extension and they say they're not going to talk about it.

Turns out no one cares what you do, just whether they want to play or live in the city. Vegas is ruthless with zero loyalty yet everyone wants to sign there.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Tampa has been embarrassing their captain in public all season. He's been begging for an extension and they say they're not going to talk about it.

Turns out no one cares what you do, just whether they want to play or live in the city. Vegas is ruthless with zero loyalty yet everyone wants to sign there.
Winners win. Vegas wants players that want to win the Stanley Cup on their team, and are proverbial "sore losers". They don't want regular season soft individual stat wh0res.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The problem I have with Mitch is that he wants it all but doesn't step up and blames the media when things don't go well.

If you wants to play in Toronto and take a discount, go ahead. However, he wants to be the highest paid winger in the league, while playing for Toronto, with full signing bonuses and NMC and doesn't want any criticism.

When we separated Marner and Matthews this year, Mathews didn't miss a beat and Marner struggled.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
The problem I have with Mitch is that he wants it all but doesn't step up and blames the media when things don't go well.

If you wants to play in Toronto and take a discount, go ahead. However, he wants to be the highest paid winger in the league, while playing for Toronto, with full signing bonuses and NMC and doesn't want any criticism.
I agree, all the other high paid players are not dicks with the media. only Marner seems snarky.

This isnt the marked for you bud if you can't take the media. Even the scrubs making peanuts take criticism.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Ok Mitch.

Time to win us a game.
Bourne mentioned that distance from net stats say Mitch is shooting about 20 feet farther from the net and has taken 25% fewer shots from the slot. Pretty much lines up with the numbers @Antropovsky has posted before.
He is usually not wrong with the stats he posts.

He might hate Marner a little too much, bit to each his own

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Elite shutdown... yet Pastrnaks advanced stats are worse against Kampfs line and Matthew's line than they are vs Marners.
His xGA might be better, but I have grown tired of that stat when it comes to the Leafs.

We are at over 50 games. Long enough of a sample size to throw it out the window.

It doesn't matter that the Leafs/Marner have what is deemed a scoring chance when the puck never goes in the net.

Pasta has 3 points. Je has been shutdown pretty well but has still managed to find a way to get on the scoresheet

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
What we do have here at least is every game is more important than the next. There is still a stage for excellence to be demonstrated, hopefully by Mitch and the leafs and not Boston. I'm begging them to prove me wrong because I have a bad feeling about the series.

I very much want leafs hockey to continue and I'm going to be disappointed as hell if we lose even if I have accepted and expect it

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What we do have here at least is every game is more important than the next. There is still a stage for excellence to be demonstrated, hopefully by Mitch and the leafs and not Boston. I'm begging them to prove me wrong because I have a bad feeling about the series.

I very much want leafs hockey to continue and I'm going to be disappointed as hell if we lose even if I have accepted and expect it
If you watched them play why would you expect them to do something they’ve never done.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
His xGA might be better, but I have grown tired of that stat when it comes to the Leafs.

We are at over 50 games. Long enough of a sample size to throw it out the window.

It doesn't matter that the Leafs/Marner have what is deemed a scoring chance when the puck never goes in the net.

Pasta has 3 points. Je has been shutdown pretty well but has still managed to find a way to get on the scoresheet
Agreed, his stats basically indicate that if the game were to go on until someone scores, it most likely wouldnt be him lol. However, it might take longer for the goal against to be scored.

Also the pp didn't get exponentially worse when he was injured and I'd argue the PK actually improved as it went 5 games in a row without allowing a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad