Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner had 26 goals this season, shot% from these areas of the ice:
- 15 high danger areas, 28% goal rate
- 10 in medium danger areas, 15.6% goals rate
- 1 in long range area, 4.2%

Marner has 0 high danger shots in 3 games vs Boston.
Marner has 0 high danger goals in his past 5 postseasons

4 of his past 5 playoff goals were from long range. Last postseason all three of his goals were long range and his shot% from there was 42%. Which is ridiculously high. League average was <3%, his own average from this season from there was 4.2%. So, he scored 3 but shot% was an anomaly.

5 Goals in past 33 and 4 of them from long range lol. 12 goal pace over 82.

Has any "elite player" been worse in the playoffs?

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup
Sep 18, 2009
Better game but did he have the impact of Marchand? Brad Marchand's salary is $5,000,000 and his cap hit is $6,125,000 for the 2023-24 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antropovsky

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It is not Mitch's fault that Leafs overpaid him .. get over da BS .. Shanny/Dubie screwed that up not Mitch .. now lets get back to hockey .. Mitch is in pain still and likely taking injections before da game to play .. as I told you guys in Boston it will come out likely after playoffs .. Mitch never ever ever had da flat out speed to play this type of playoff game .. he is good at both ends of ice once game slows down in each end of ice .. right now his edgework is not his best due to injury .. do you pull him out of lineup???????????????????? .. no you can't as we can use his defense now .. as i stated insert him on 3rd line and let him help out on D .. all da BS on here is truly irritating of folks complaining about $$$ to results .. folks you don't understand playoff hokey is 10% faster than regular season hockey and Mitch does not have another gear to his short length stride (but it helps him in his edgework game which is best in class normally but impacted now due to injury)
Cool story Bro.

He has a rare condition.

The injury actually happened in 2017 and flares up in the spring. Possibly seasonal.
It's an annual flare up of Anal Glaucoma. He just can't see his ass playing hockey during prime golf season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yeah I did, and you took it v personally, but I don't think it changes the meaning at all! game 2 was a feast for the people who hate this guy, search his name on twitter for a taste, and I said that the way he played backed up what these people have been saying for years.

this would apply to almost every NA player in the league right now
You were responding to my post, what do you expect?

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll continue ignoring twitter all the same. I do think it's funny that you use the term "hater", then pretend you actually said something else and at the same time, have an issue with the term "fanboy".

How about this - I will agree to not call you a fanboy if you agree to not call me a hater. Deal?

this would apply to almost every NA player in the league right now
Yes of course it would, what's your point?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is not Mitch's fault that Leafs overpaid him .. get over da BS .. Shanny/Dubie screwed that up not Mitch .. now lets get back to hockey .. Mitch is in pain still and likely taking injections before da game to play .. as I told you guys in Boston it will come out likely after playoffs .. Mitch never ever ever had da flat out speed to play this type of playoff game .. he is good at both ends of ice once game slows down in each end of ice .. right now his edgework is not his best due to injury .. do you pull him out of lineup???????????????????? .. no you can't as we can use his defense now .. as i stated insert him on 3rd line and let him help out on D .. all da BS on here is truly irritating of folks complaining about $$$ to results .. folks you don't understand playoff hokey is 10% faster than regular season hockey and Mitch does not have another gear to his short length stride (but it helps him in his edgework game which is best in class normally but impacted now due to injury)
I guess we can't blame Willie for asking for and not budging from 11.5mx8. Ultimately it is the Lesfs fault for overpaying but these guys share the blame for demanding to be overpaid instead of taking market value or heaven forbid, give a discount.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess we can't blame Willie for asking for and not budging from 11.5mx8. Ultimately it is the Lesfs fault for overpaying but these guys share the blame for demanding to be overpaid instead of taking market value or heaven forbid, give a discount.

Stranger things have happened but I just find it hard to visualize a guy like Marner being able to command the moon and the stars on his next deal in Toronto.

If we gave him the exact same deal as now, it would be a not great deal for the team, continuity of a relationship and terms a lot of Leaf Land is not happy with, but hey, cap going up.

If we gave him Nylander Pasta money, it’s an undeserved but modest raise.

When he starts creeping into the $12 million neighborhood towards Mackinnon money you’re just scratching your head like why do we even need to call back?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stranger things have happened but I just find it hard to visualize a guy like Marner being able to command the moon and the stars on his next deal in Toronto.

If we gave him the exact same deal as now, it would be a not great deal for the team. If we gave him Nylander Pasta money, it’s bad but a modest raise. When he starts creeping into the $12 million range towards Mackinnon money you’re just scratching your head like why do we even need to call back?
^^ That sums it up nicely. ^^

The problem : You KNOW Marner's gonna want a raise when, if I was the Leafs GM, I'd cut his pay. That's why the Leafs need to trade him in the off season and get whatever they can - this should have been done LAST year.

Unlike his playoff performance, Marner's ego is huge and he's in for a rude awakening because I can't see any team giving him what he makes with the Leafs. Why would anyone? Yes, he can help a middle team make the playoffs but he can't help you once you are in the playoffs - and $10M+ is reserved for players like that.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Can we be certain that Marner wants to be here on his next deal? Obviously he loves the City of Toronto and all his friends and family are here but as for being a Maple Leaf I'm not convinced that he is loving his life and time here

Maybe I'm misreading his facial expressions and body language and misunderstanding the things he tells the press. Kessel was bad with the media and he liked Toronto. I wouldn't be absolutely positive that him re-signing a contract is 100% what he wants. He appears upset or frustrated fairly often

Reactions: studebaker17

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why do the Leafs OVERPAY for players when other teams find a way to keep their players without killing the Cap?

Can we be certain that Marner wants to be here on his next deal? Obviously he loves the City of Toronto and all his friends and family are here but as for being a Maple Leaf I'm not convinced that he is loving his life and time here

Maybe I'm misreading his facial expressions and body language and misunderstanding the things he tells the press. Kessel was bad with the media and he liked Toronto. I wouldn't be absolutely positive that him re-signing a contract is 100% what he wants. He appears upset or frustrated fairly often
My guess : He'll go to whomever pays him the most.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Big money and endorsements? Why not? The real question is should the Leafs want him for another 8 years? Do you want to watch playoff Marner for another 8 years? The answer is quite obvious.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Phil signed here. Nobody is paying marner what the Leafs will. He could do himself a favor by taking a discount. Rumour was he'll ask for 12+ which Tre should laugh at. Either way he's not taking less than 88 so we should move on.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
You make him one offer which will be a final offer. If he is unwanted at a higher salary, you staple him to the 4th line with no PP minutes until he realizes how that will affect his next contract, until he agrees to a trade. On the 4th line switch him to his off-wing. Marner-Kampf-Reaves.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

From what I gather the Toronto-Mitch relationship can be pretty rocky at times but also seems like for 2 weeks in the spring when things go to crap Marner still has a pretty good set up here in Toronto.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner didn't come from money.

if you have to make stupid shit up it means you have nothing of value to add.
Most of these folks are good people but they dont understand .. they dony know that pauls sole job was to take mitch to hockey every night and tape his games and practices to help him get better .. bonnie wears da pants and is a hard avg wage earner .. they dont know mitch only played because of sponsorships of infividuald and teams.. mitch only wanted to help his family out of poverty and he succeeded .. good on him .. how many people on here can look at themsleves on mirror and say same

Reactions: ACC1224

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Seems more and more like a regular season luxury the Leafs cant afford. Hope he'll turn it around still.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Phil signed here. Nobody is paying marner what the Leafs will. He could do himself a favor by taking a discount. Rumour was he'll ask for 12+ which Tre should laugh at. Either way he's not taking less than 88 so we should move on.

The incremental raise from $10.916 million whatever to $12 million is only about a million bucks, but seems to cover the full range of symbolic importance here.

First of all he shouldn’t be at $11 million to begin with. And $11.5 million is where Pastrnak and Nylander sit. At $12 million, the percentage raise isn’t that much in real money from what he makes, so it’s technically very doable, but symbolically feels like the straw that breaks the camels back.

Like why would you be entitled to an overpay on an historical overpay while giving us 8 years of playoff underachievement, and you’re not particularly popular to begin with?

Mitch could win so many hearts and minds if he just stayed at his current cap hit. (Even though it’s extremely generous already).

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Unfortunately, the regular season and the playoffs have nothing to do with each other. Dubas was useless in terms of building a Stanley Cup contender. He was enamored with speed, skating ability, goals, style and probably guys he could hang with.. He had no interest in finding guys with heart and determination. He got players that checked all his boxes and this is what we are left with. Treliving is trying to undo that situation which, unfortunately, takes time. Nothing will happen until that corp(se) is buried and gone. Until then, enjoy a Maurice Ricahrd winner and a 100 + point regular season. After that, we got nothing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another playoff game, another stinker, hurt or not.

He's the 3rd best player on his own line, never mind the team. Outplayed by a guy who is "washed up" and another one is a rookie.

I would make the excuse of an injury, but he's only been good in one playoff round in his whole career.

It makes no sense to bring him back.

Marner can’t play the injury card because his playoff game tape more or less looks like this. Fancy footwork instead of hard north south skating, fancy dekes to the perimeter instead of making quick hard, decisive plays with the puck to the inside. Fade away low percentage shots from safety.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

He seems to be completely over the media and even some of the fanbase who are critical of him. I can honestly see him working with the Leafs at potential trade destinations knowing the 8th year comes into play.

He certainly doesn't appear to be happy playing here anymore.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Most of these folks are good people but they dont understand .. they dony know that pauls sole job was to take mitch to hockey every night and tape his games and practices to help him get better .. bonnie wears da pants and is a hard avg wage earner .. they dont know mitch only played because of sponsorships of infividuald and teams.. mitch only wanted to help his family out of poverty and he succeeded .. good on him .. how many people on here can look at themsleves on mirror and say same

Most people don’t care about those personal details because Marner has $52 million in career earnings to date which puts him above people like Eric Lindros, Alexander Mogilny, Al MacInnis, Scott Stevens, Curtis Joseph and other fabulously wealthy legends of the game. He’s already living his happily ever after and will continue to do so on his next deal.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner can’t play the injury card because his playoff game tape more or less looks like this. Fancy footwork instead of hard north south skating, fancy dekes to the perimeter instead of making quick hard, decisive plays with the puck to the inside. Fade away low percentage shots from safety.
Yeah I'd really like to think that the injury is the problem but he looked pretty agile when jumping out of McAvoy's way to avoid contact. Also some of his decisions have just been bad which has nothing to do with anything physical. But still, I say wait until the playoffs are over before making any decisions, there's still time to turn this thing around both for him and the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad