Player Discussion Mitch Marner

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There was a time I would defend marner over anyone

Was my favourite player

His poor playoffs + piss poor body language + contract negotiations hurt his image

His current playoffs are killing him. Why is he scared to shoot the puck from besides the point? He isnt taking the puck to slot or making good passes. He better have a wrist, ankle and head injury to be playing this crap

Most disapointing player so far

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’m not a big Tavares guy but I thought he’s been fine. He’s in the battle.
hanging out in the crease while blocking our shots isn't accomplishing much

it's great how the commentators are told to fluff JT him endlessly especially the beauty set up for a goal by Marner which they said was all created by JT who couldn't get past the center line before he was caught and angled to the boards

i despise tavares play generally but hes been above average as a grinder and made some good passes

Still horrific with puck on his stick and trying to pass/gain zone

Marner has been worse than him thos series.
he basically looks like a limited skill bottom six 12/13 min a night grinding winger , problem is he's killing the 2nd line

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed.. JT has been playing hard and making plays. He's skating hard as well.

That goal doesn't happen if JT doesn't show some neutral zone poise and make a beautiful cross ie backhand feed to Edmunson to get the zone. Won't get an assist but that was a critical play.

Yeah I’m very vocal about my JT criticism but he’s shown me a lot of fire, giving and taking a lot of punishment to be in the games and stay in the games. The penalty on him was nonsense. Yeah maybe my expectations aren’t that high but he’s shown me better work in progress than Mitch.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agreed. But what is the market for him? If that's the best offer it is what it is
If that's the best offer, pass.

Marner is a tough decision. So much talent. So invisible in BIG games. So GREEDY.

What do you do?

We'll never get full value in a trade. But I want him off this roster more than I want Keefe gone. Enough is enough.
Then he wins a Cup somewhere else.

I agree, he is insanely frustrating.

Reactions: wingman75

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
hanging out in the crease while blocking our shots isn't accomplishing much

it's great how the commentators are told to fluff JT him endlessly especially the beauty set up for a goal by Marner which they said was all created by JT who couldn't get past the center line before he was caught and angled to the boards

he basically looks like a limited skill bottom six 12/13 min a night grinding winger , problem is he's killing the 2nd line
I think marner has killed L2 as well

Bad puck decisions, constantly playing uo high at the point and having his shots blocked, careless passes, along with little support on the boards/lack of shooting threat is hurting L2

Tavares is shooting more but is generally a shit shooter. He has no speed si his passes are easily readable. He is grinding though and won more board battles last 2 games then the last 10 in reg season. Has had some good looks but issue os hes a decoy mostly and isnt able to carry/create anything for his wingers from a skilled passing perspective

Knies had a nice goal today but hes mostly just the pack mule for L2. He takes hits and tries to retrieve pucks. He is doing alright at the role but isnt the fastest or most skilled guy either so he cant do much with time and space and when pressured usually is forced to make a poession ending play

L2 seems misfit

IF nylander is back game 4 run

Robertson - Nylander - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Jarnkrok

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Was my favourite player

His poor playoffs + piss poor body language + contract negotiations hurt his image

His current playoffs are killing him. Why is he scared to shoot the puck from besides the point? He isnt taking the puck to slot or making good passes. He better have a wrist, ankle and head injury to be playing this crap

Nice pass but he still has 1 point in 3 games.

Matthews took over last game and it was Marner's turn tonight, he didn't even come close.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Was my favourite player

tbh his play is only justifiable if he has all three

Reactions: hamzarocks

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I would love to see Mitch traded this summer, but I don't see it happening due to his large cap hit and the NMC he possesses. Most likely scenario is the Leafs extend him fairly early into next season retaining the asset and see if they can make something happen after Tavares 11M comes off the books.

I really think they need to pick up a goaltender if they ever want to take the next step. Out of all the series the Leafs have been in I don't think they've had the goaltending advantage in any series outside of perhaps the play-in series VS Columbus.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Only way we're getting rid of Marner is by letting him walk next summer. I doubt he'll play ball with the leafs this summer to allow a deal somewhere else.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see all the physical play David Pastrnak initiates and endures to be in the game and that stuff seems automatically off the table for Mitch to have to get involved in. But they’re both skill guys, similar size and they’re competing for the same thing. And it annoys me that there’s a built in hall pass for our guy while other star players do the dirty work night after night.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Only way we're getting rid of Marner is by letting him walk next summer. I doubt he'll play ball with the leafs this summer to allow a deal somewhere else.

just give him two options: either agree to go where we want to trade you or sit in the press box for the season

leafs win either way

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Bad puck decisions, constantly playing uo high at the point and having his shots blocked, careless passes, along with little support on the boards/lack of shooting threat is hurting L2

Tavares is shooting more but is generally a shit shooter. He has no speed si his passes are easily readable. He is grinding though and won more board battles last 2 games then the last 10 in reg season. Has had some good looks but issue os hes a decoy mostly and isnt able to carry/create anything for his wingers from a skilled passing perspective

Knies had a nice goal today but hes mostly just the pack mule for L2. He takes hits and tries to retrieve pucks. He is doing alright at the role but isnt the fastest or most skilled guy either so he cant do much with time and space and when pressured usually is forced to make a poession ending play

L2 seems misfit

i like those lines but i'd much prefer McMann if he's healthy instead of Robbie who's looked overmatched

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

You don't think Money Marner wants an 8 year contract?

Teams aren't going to be lining up to pay him when he's 35 years old. No one other than the Leafs throws more than 10.9M at their RFA's.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Agreed.. JT has been playing hard and making plays. He's skating hard as well.

That goal doesn't happen if JT doesn't show some neutral zone poise and make a beautiful cross ie backhand feed to Edmunson to get the zone. Won't get an assist but that was a critical play.
That Marner assist... is what Marner tries 100 times in a game. Eventually one will work but it's still a low percentage playoff play. Call it wizard like, but that is a prayer of a pass that 9/10 doesn't make it through, especially in playoffs.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
That Marner assist... is what Marner tries 100 times in a game. Eventually one will work but it's still a low percentage playoff play. Call it wizard like, but that is a prayer of a pass that 9/10 doesn't make it through, especially in playoffs.
Exactly yes he made the space and delayed that little bit to make that pass doable, but that was a lucky pass. If you see the replay it was very close to hitting a stick.

Reactions: saffronleaf

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
1714019119201.png

The more negative about Marner you are, the earlier you are negative, the more accurate judgement you have displayed.

• Wow
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

L2 seems misfit

I think Nylander makes sense for Marner. Nylander creates room and Marner can't do anything without room. We would just need Marner to let Nylander carry the puck and have Marner focus on getting to open areas where he has time to shoot or make a quick secondary play. The minute the puck is on Marners stick too long, bad sh$% happens.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Mcmann Tavares Knies
Nylander Kampf Marner

These are the lines I'd like to see, if healthy. I don't think the Stanley Cup playoffs are the time to experiment with Nylander at C. I always like playoff Kampf more than season Kampf.

I also want Brodie playing and Woll in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad