Player Discussion Mitch Marner

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
You don't see the issue with this?

Instead of making a play for the puck - in the offensive zone - he bails out and doesn't even make an attempt to avoid being hit, allows McAvoy to take the puck and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way.

How can you possibly have no issue with that? You say he's "clearly trying to gain the inside edge" to try and stop the puck from getting out, but the only reason he Bruins even have possession to get the puck out is because Marner pulled up short and didn't even attempt to get the puck in the corner because he didn't want to get hit.

How can you be okay with this??
Anyone who is okay with that Marner play has either never played hockey or has played hockey and is as soft and fragile as Marner and would have done the same thing in that situation.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You don't see the issue with this?

Instead of making a play for the puck - in the offensive zone - he bails out and doesn't even make an attempt to avoid being hit, allows McAvoy to take the puck and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way.

How can you possibly have no issue with that? You say he's "clearly trying to gain the inside edge" to try and stop the puck from getting out, but the only reason he Bruins even have possession to get the puck out is because Marner pulled up short and didn't even attempt to get the puck in the corner because he didn't want to get hit.

How can you be okay with this??
He had the inside edge... "he pulled the chute".

Reactions: supermann_98

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Marner is well short of 100%. It's so obvious. His game relies so much on mobility, and when he is able to move, his mind works faster than most on the ice. Without that mobility, he really struggles. Noticed that a lot of offensive plays died on his stick last night because he just wasn't sharp.

Thought it was really telling that Keefe said what he said about Marner post-game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone who is okay with that Marner play has either never played hockey or has played hockey and is as soft and fragile as Marner and would have done the same thing in that situation.

That’s the kind of play you make playing roller hockey where it’s non contact and it’s not that serious and you don’t want to crash onto a concrete surface or fall awkwardly into anything because everyone has day jobs and whatever and you’re wearing shorts with zero protection. That’s not an NHL play, however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner is well short of 100%. It's so obvious. His game relies so much on mobility, and when he is able to move, his mind works faster than most on the ice. Without that mobility, he really struggles. Noticed that a lot of offensive plays died on his stick last night because he just wasn't sharp.

Thought it was really telling that Keefe said what he said about Marner post-game.
Tough when you rely so much on your edges and you have a bad ankle.
What did Keefe say?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
remember when ppl were making it seem like hes drawing the hardest matchups and still producing and willy was on the second line with less production its not soo easy away from matty huh?
He’s matching up against Pasta, literally the hardest defensive gig?

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Guys play at less than 100% all the time in the playoffs. You’re still required to make intelligent plays regardless of your physical discomfort. Plus if he’s not 100% he should also simplify his game and not get caught doing the frilly stuff with reduced mobility. Can’t really cover all the bases with these excuses.

That said we won the game so this isn’t the time to be hyper critical and upset with him. Just move on.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
imo, marner in the playoffs just doesnt want the puck the same way he does in the regular season. this isnt a new development with his game, when the intensity ramps up and teams apply pressure to him he wants to move the puck as soon as possible. thats not the marner that makes a difference in games.

Reactions: ER89

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Guys play at less than 100% all the time in the playoffs. You’re still required to make intelligent plays regardless of your physical discomfort. Plus if he’s not 100% he should also simplify his game and not get caught doing the frilly stuff with reduced mobility. Can’t really cover all the bases with these excuses.

That said we won the game so this isn’t the time to be hyper critical and upset with him. Just move on.

All of this is fair - just worth pointing out regarding adjusting expectations surrounding him. Feels like a lot of the criticism of him is slightly unfair at the moment; I thought he contributed well in the 3rd period, especially late, to preserve the win. Obviously he's paid to do more and hopefully that comes with the series shifting home.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All of this is fair - just worth pointing out regarding adjusting expectations surrounding him. Feels like a lot of the criticism of him is slightly unfair at the moment; I thought he contributed well in the 3rd period, especially late, to preserve the win. Obviously he's paid to do more and hopefully that comes with the series shifting home.

When the physicality slows down that will be his window to start popping offensively.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Tough when you rely so much on your edges and you have a bad ankle.
What did Keefe say?
Went out of his way to throw a ton of praise on Mitch, despite getting a question about the Matthews line.

"I thought Mitch was all over the game too. Making plays offensively for us at different times. Great defensive play. He's playing almost every shift against Pastrnak and doing a really good job helping us there and on the penalty kill".

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I thought he was worse than game 1. If you go back and watch his shifts he literally avoids any physical play, had a hand in both Boston goals by not keeping his head on a swivel. He needs to move the puck quicker with the way Boston plays making quicker passes will open up space.
I thought he was more engaged in Game 2 and actually played with more confidence.
In Game 1, he was invisible.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When the physicality slows down that will be his window to start popping offensively.
We will see if that window ever happens. Last year it only got more physical in the 2nd round. I also think its part of oppositions gameplan against him because word is out on him.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Leafs are driving and initiating the physical play right now. You can bet when we keep pounding their guys, they're going to want to give it back as much as they can.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
As long as his line keeps Pasta in-check 5v5 he can suck offensively all he wants.

45 year old marchand won't pick up the slack himself, but domi-matthews-bertuzzi can beat the rest of the bruins once pasta is taken out.

exactly, if marner line just stay even at 5v5 vs pasta line

-matthews line still continu to outplayed marchand line
-nylander line ( when he will be back) outplayed gerkie line
-leafs 4th outplayed maroon line

whats will happen? leafs dominating boston at 5v5 finishing first 2 game with 58 scoring chance vs 29 and 25 high danger chance vs 13 at 5v5.

just stop taking bad penalty and you forcing Boston to beat you with their depht ( their #1 weakness). Thats where leafs advantage is.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Went out of his way to throw a ton of praise on Mitch, despite getting a question about the Matthews line.

"I thought Mitch was all over the game too. Making plays offensively for us at different times. Great defensive play. He's playing almost every shift against Pastrnak and doing a really good job helping us there and on the penalty kill".
Everyone knows how fragile Marners confidence is. Marner never let's anyone forget it in his interviews. They also know how Marner needs to be recognized and doesn't want to be in Matthews shadow. Keefe is doing what needs to be done to get the most out of Marner.

If Marner isn't productive offensively, but plays great defensively vs the Pasta line, than I'd be satisfied with his playoffs. But you don't pay a shut down winger 13% of your cap. If you did, Jere Lehtinen would've been the richest player in the NHL.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
lol I was waiting for some to say he took the “inside route”. He did the same thing in Montreal and Columbus

He wont take a hit for the play, but he wants to make it look like he will. So he takes the “inside route” and goes around the guy, giving the puck up instead of holding the puck on the boards and having the team support him in a board battle, or poke the puck from the side he was at to knock it around mcavoy, but both would’ve given McAvoy the opportunity to hit him, which is a big no-no. Gotta play that charmin ultra soft hockey

Caspar the ghost better make an appearance in game 3

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
lol I was waiting for some to say he took the “inside route”. He did the same thing in Montreal and Columbus

He wont take a hit for the play, but he wants to make it look like he will. So he takes the “inside route” and goes around the guy, giving the puck up instead of holding the puck on the boards and having the team support him in a board battle, or poke the puck from the side he was at to knock it around mcavoy, but both would’ve given McAvoy the opportunity to hit him, which is a big no-no. Gotta play that charmin ultra soft hockey

It's kind of incredible. If I were him, and I knew that people were constantly calling me soft and not a playoff performer, I would take all sorts of hits and abuse to prove a point. I don't understand what he's thinking. Fear of pain? I mean he's played professional hockey all of his life. He's felt all sorts of pain that regular humans have not - pucks to body parts at bullet speed, sticks in face, teeth flying out, punches in face, plastered on boards - does one not get desensitized at some point? It's baffling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I look at the hell Brad Marchand is willing to go through to make a play or compete vs much larger players who actively want to hurt him vs Marner hockey. Marchand is a rat but also a decade older than Marner and probably a good few inches shorter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's kind of incredible. If I were him, and I knew that people were constantly calling me soft and not a playoff performer, I would take all sorts of hits and abuse to prove a point. I don't understand what he's thinking. Fear of pain? I mean he's played professional hockey all of his life. He's felt all sorts of pain that regular humans have not - pucks to body parts at bullet speed, sticks in face, teeth flying out, punches in face, plastered on boards - does one not get desensitized at some point? It's baffling.
More likely he's not scared and people just see what they want to see.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
More likely he's not scared and people just see what they want to see.
Or maybe he is scared and that's exactly what people are seeing... How you can say otherwise at this point is baffling. Show me a clip from this series... hell I'll even let you find clips from past series where Marner has taken a big hit or any hit for that matter to make a play... go ahead I'll wait, good luck finding one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad