Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
you know matthews/ marner are both in top 5 of player producing the most at 5v5 since 2019-2020? they are producing at higher rate than kucherov/point...

the difference is the pp, nothing else.
So what if it’s 5V5 or PP they are still being out produced by those other players who make less then our guys do

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Likely because he figured out what I wish the other Leafs had also figured out; if EVERYONE'S trying to get Matthews the puck, the other teams are going to key in on him. The most effective way to get Matthews good scoring chances is to get the puck to people who aren't Matthews, so the opponents can't key in on him specifically.

It's also why I argue that it's not Marner who changes how he plays with Matthews; it's Matthews who changes how HE plays. Marner looks to Matthews more when he's on the same line, but that's because Matthews is more dangerous, but he'll set up other guys if they're open. Matthews, OTOH, has a really annoying tendency when playing with Marner to stop trying to handle the puck himself and simply try to get himself into situations where he can shoot, which sucks because Matthews is a good passer when he wants to be. And the two were most dangerous a couple of years ago when they were trying to set each other and Bunting up rather than going to the same Marner-carries,Matthews-shoots gameplan they tried way too often this year.

I see the same thing and agree. I think Matthews has a chameleon like ability to play the game any way you want but he converges stylistically with Marner and defers a lot of the classic center stuff to Marner. Puck carrying, facilitating and stops taking charge like the dominant center he is when he’s at his best.

The more he mirrors Marner and becomes the sniper on that pair the worse he gets because he stops controlling the game the way he can and he stops playing the power-ish game he’s capable of.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Was that a flip or a flop that time and how long did it last? Oh yeah, right up until game 3 of the Florida series so about two weeks.

Let's get something clear, nothing that Marner or Matthews does these playoffs will change anything. Nothing good or bad.

When these playoff are over, win or lose, Marner will be the same player then as he is today. A superstar, and will be re-signed. Period.
Marner is a good player that has never reached 100 points and that is far from a super star

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So what if it’s 5V5 or PP they are still being out produced by those other players who make less then our guys do

when your trying to trash talk about a guy about how hes playing on his line ( at 5v5) to try to make look his main partner worst. Thats just doesn't make any sense at all if he producing less because they got less pp time and pp didn't producing at the same rate. Thats it

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Marner is a good player that has never reached 100 points and that is far from a super star
Marner has been a superstar since he was in London… and he’s been an NHL superstar since entering the league.

You just don’t know your superstars.

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was that a flip or a flop that time and how long did it last? Oh yeah, right up until game 3 of the Florida series so about two weeks.

Let's get something clear, nothing that Marner or Matthews does these playoffs will change anything. Nothing good or bad.

When these playoff are over, win or lose, Marner will be the same player then as he is today. A superstar, and will be re-signed. Period.
I was praising Marner's play for months, not two weeks so once again, you're wrong, period.

Maybe nothing ever changes for you but for some of us time doesn't stop and players evolve over time. When Marner plays well I will say so, when he stinks I will also say so and the same goes for every player. If you want to refer to ongoing player evaluations as flip flopping, that's your right but it also sounds somewhat childish and petulant. Marner's just a hockey player, not some sort of god and if you get so upset at people who dare to point out his flaws that's your problem. Nobody's above criticism, not even Marner.

Superstar is a subjective term that means different things to different people so if to you he's a superstar, that's great. Let's hope he plays like one in these playoffs, and not just for the first 4 games either as has been his MO. We have a tough opponent, we're slight underdogs, Marner takes up a huge chunk of our cap space so we need him to play like he's worth every penny of it.

I see the same thing and agree. I think Matthews has a chameleon like ability to play the game any way you want but he converges stylistically with Marner and defers a lot of the classic center stuff to Marner. Puck carrying, facilitating and stops taking charge like the dominant center he is when he’s at his best.

The more he mirrors Marner and becomes the sniper on that pair the worse he gets because he stops controlling the game the way he can and he stops playing the power-ish game he’s capable of.
Yup, agree 100%.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

The annoying thing is, he didn't do this a few years ago; this seems to be a more recent thing. I honestly wonder if it's because those years the two had a consistent LW (Hyman for a while, and then Bunting), but now their LW is whoever Keefe decides is playing there today...
Then again, Matthews did play like this against Montreal in the playoffs, too...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Agreed. There are many great articles where authors break down Marner and Tavares and Marner and Matthew's. The one thing that is consistent... Marner likely was the guy riding coat tails.

I admit, Marner has a phenomenal work ethic. He doesn't take a shift off mentally. Physicality he wants no part of. However, once playoff games start, he loses his main edge, because everyone is working their butts off now, physicality and speed increases, easy steals disappear and so do passing lanes and sleeping defenders. Which, paired with Marners lack of top level acceleration makes him look downright bad. He tries to do the things that worked in the season and it no longer works... he gets caught from behind and stripped of the puck, or he can't get his cute pass through the wall of defense. To compound this, he continues to try to dance around physical hockey. Like he's trying to find a recipe where he can outsmart physical play because he's desperate to avoid it.

I hold some hope for Marner... but he needs to grow a pair and play everyday in the dirty areas. Players typically don't change their spots though.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I suggest taking a break from bitching about Marner, or anyone else that plays for the Maple Leafs. The playoffs start Saturday, let's send some positive energy out at all our players and hope they can pull off a miracle and bring the cup back to where it belongs. Once the playoffs are done, there will plenty of time to bitch about anyone and everyone.

Here's hoping Marner exorcises his demons and plays the best hockey of his career over the next 2 months. GLG!!
Positive energy?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Marner has been a superstar since he was in London… and he’s been an NHL superstar since entering the league.

I watched Marner in London and yes he was a super star in junior but in the NHL not so much. He might be a star but the term super star is thrown around loosely. He has not won a single personal award in the NHL and has not lifted his team to playoff success in the NHL. That is what super stars do…….he has not

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I disagree with the more damning assessments of his playoff performances but I have thought that one part of his game that seems to go missing in the playoffs is the ability to turn pucks over deep in the offensive zone leading to chances. and I wonder if this is because dmen and deep forwards are more willing to just heave it off the glass and out in in the playoffs. also teams that aren't the Leafs tend to get away with setting picks off the puck.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I disagree with the more damning assessments of his playoff performances but I have thought that one part of his game that seems to go missing in the playoffs is the ability to turn pucks over deep in the offensive zone leading to chances. and I wonder if this is because dmen and deep forwards are more willing to just heave it off the glass and out in in the playoffs. also teams that aren't the Leafs tend to get away with setting picks off the puck.

That’s part of it. Most players change their habits when games matter more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Positive energy?
We're a long shot to win the cup, that's just reality. But then again, so is every other team so it's not out of the question either. We do need a lot of things to fall into place though starting with our goaltending holding up.

Whatever, you can pick away at what I said and that's fine. I'm a realist and I know that whatever anyone posts here isn't going to have any effect on the outcome. I just thought that since we're all fans of the same team, perhaps we could put our differences aside for the playoffs and support the team. It was just a thought.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Positive energy?
I predicted this early in the year. The non fans spend a lot of time in their narcisism slamming guys like Marner. There are some who then get caught later with their tongue up his poop hole. They have to lead the riots and the parades. It's unseemly. I respect the critics who skulk away a lot more.
It isn't even about a player. It's about the team. Nobody likes the guy who slams the Leafs all year (everyone knows one) and then acts like a buffoon talking about how good the team is and how long they have been a loyal fan.
Maybe I love a team that has set the standard at sucking. I still cheer them on and will continue to do so because hope is what is being sold here.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jun 27, 2005
I was praising Marner's play for months, not two weeks so once again, you're wrong, period.

Maybe nothing ever changes for you but for some of us time doesn't stop and players evolve over time. When Marner plays well I will say so, when he stinks I will also say so and the same goes for every player. If you want to refer to ongoing player evaluations as flip flopping, that's your right
How many months was it before you flipped and how many times since have you flopped? I doubt you even know.

Players don't sign two month contracts because most people know that they aren't robots.

At least you have to give some credit to the guys who really don't like Marner. They at least have integrity for sticking to their guns even if they are wrong.

Again, when these playoffs are over Marner (and the other core players), will be the same players that they are today. Either you comprehend that or you don't. Think.

It's a team sport. It won't be up to Marner (or any other individual) to win it or lose it. No matter what happens, Conn Smythe or four and out, he's getting re-signed at somewhere between Nylander and Matthews because that's his value. Constantly flip-flopping and whining about it wont change a thing.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I watched Marner in London and yes he was a super star in junior but in the NHL not so much. He might be a star but the term super star is thrown around loosely. He has not won a single personal award in the NHL and has not lifted his team to playoff success in the NHL. That is what super stars do…….he has not
Marner has totally lived up to being a 4th overall draft pick… some even say he would go #2 to McDavid on a draft redo.

Everyone’s opinion of superstar varies… 100 point seasons are not the benchmark.

IMO, Mitch would even be labeled a superstar by the majority of NHL players.

He didn’t earn the nickname Magic Mitch by being average.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This playoff run is gonna say a lot about Mitch as a player and as a man. He's historically disappeared when games mattered most and needs to bring his best every night...enough with the kiddie bullshit.
Hope he sleeps well tonight and is not getting too anxious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hope he sleeps well tonight and is not getting too anxious.
Big playoff year for Marner heading into a contract year this next season as it enters its final year.

1713535131538.png

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

He's paced 100 points each of the last four seasons, 104 average. Pretty superstar esque. Then factor in one of the best defensive forwards, pretty compelling for any fair minded person. And for an added bonus, end of season first line and second line all star, voted on by people who actually get paid to offer their opinion, not butt hurt haters who dislike his dad.

This is a BIG BIG series for Marner, I want to see him confront adversity and find a new level offensively. Hopefully JT can rise to the challenge as well, ditto Nylander if he's on that line...could be a fun spring if this second line can be productive. Lots of pressure on Mitch, but that's pro sports.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Big playoff year for Marner heading into a contract year this next season as it enters its final year.

View attachment 855122
Why? He will be negotiating against the Leafs and will demand Matty money and settle for something between the overpaid floater and the unicorn goal scorer. #Puke.

If the Leafs protect Marner and don’t let anyone intimidate him he should be fine in this series.
Just in case, he should wear some depends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad