Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Goals above replacement weighs a lot more.
I can share the link but you need a subscription to evolving hockey so it won't do you much good. Subscription is cheap so go for it. It is in the gar/war stats
Gar/war etc etc doesn’t change the fact that the leafs PK was 25th in the league

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gar/war etc etc doesn’t change the fact that the leafs PK was 25th in the league
But Marner scored a goal at some point, which means he's one of the best, if not the best penalty killer around. Just think how good our PK would be, if only everyone else produced on the PK the way he does. :laugh::laugh:

Of course when I asked how good he is at preventing goals on the PP, crickets. I can only assume that whatever he gains on the PK, he gives right back on the PP. Oh well.

Reactions: Racer88

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
PK needs to be better whether he plays on it or not. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s the reason it’s bad though.
I could be completely off base, but to me it seems he’s been around the same as other years, maybe a tad worse than his usual self in terms of getting in passing lanes.

This year:
128 TOI 19 GA .839 SV%
Last Year:
180 TOI 22 GA .875 SV%

moreover, for some reason it seems we fail to clear the puck this year more often than past years, this isn’t saying it’s Marner, but just something I’ve noticed from the entire team. He’s on the list, but I’d have goaltending, puck clearing, defencemen boxout before him on the list in that order

However my thinking is he gets a brunt of the criticism because he also gets a lot of praise when our pk is doing well, which I think is fair. He’s a leader on the pk and so when it doesn’t do well he’s gonna take some blame, even if it’s unnecessary

Reactions: ACC1224

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dont know what we are talking about here. Is Marner important to this team. Yes. The most important player ? Debatable... Ok i get it now... thats what we are talking about.

I still say Matthews

1 Go into playoff with no Marner
2 Go into playoff with 3rd goalie
3 Go into playoff with no Matthews

Pick your poison.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
No it isn't that. There are defensive components to GAR. The stats I cited were really pk goals prevented above expectations of replacement level

It's actually better.

Rofl

It must be hard to share a link to a stat you keep misinterpreting.

His goals allowed /60 on PK are one of the worst in the league, it be interesting to see how your lies were constructed. Defensive component my ass, you talk about goals scored above replacement, clearly ignoring goals allowed above replacement. Because I don't need to fabricate bul*crap to defend Mitchy, when we need to prevent goal on PK he is our 10th best choice :D

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I was watching a dog chasing it's tail earlier and kept thinking "Gee, dogs are easily amused".

Then I realized I was watching a dog chasing it's tail.

I feel the same way reading this thread. It's moved beyond repeating the same old tired arguments on roster construction. It's now degenerated into petty bickering

Splitting hairs on a bald man.

As in the arguments don't make sense anymore. Of course the team is better with Marner than with a shittier RW'er in his place. But that's like saying I'd be better off with an electric wheelchair than a manual one.

When really I'd rather not be paralyzed at all.

It's the exact same weaknesses with the exact same unwillingness to address them. The same team with the same problems headed straight for the same results. They just keep going in circles.

Like a dumb animal chasing it's tail.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
The "Marner fan Boi" thread was closed due to an overwhelming amount of posters wanting an unbiased thread. The general rule is there only be one thread open per player and that thread used to be the "Marner appreciation thread". Certain members also demanded that thread be entirely positive and nothing critical because it was an appreciation thread. If 70% of members vote for him to be traded in the off-season, how can there just be one thread for him allowed and it also be an "appreciation" only thread? Makes about 0 sense. Glad mods allowed the unbiased thread.
well this thread has been called the Marner fan Boi thread by one of the more critical frequenters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It was 25th in the league with him on it so not far to fall with him missing from it

Seems to look that way
25th? What was?

It changes inasmuch as Marner is a top pk killing forward and he has zero control of how good other player that you favor do.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Rofl

It must be hard to share a link to a stat you keep misinterpreting.

His goals allowed /60 on PK are one of the worst in the league, it be interesting to see how your lies were constructed. Defensive component my ass, you talk about goals scored above replacement, clearly ignoring goals allowed above replacement. Because I don't need to fabricate bul*crap to defend Mitchy, when we need to prevent goal on PK he is our 10th best choice :D
I told you where the stats are. You get what you pay for and if you think you can do thinks like build a moon rocket reading Dr Seuss, that isn't my problem. Pull out your wallet and support a good cause. You might learn something about hockey.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I was watching a dog chasing it's tail earlier and kept thinking "Gee, dogs are easily amused".

Then I realized I was watching a dog chasing it's tail.

I feel the same way reading this thread. It's moved beyond repeating the same old tired arguments on roster construction. It's now degenerated into petty bickering

Splitting hairs on a bald man.

As in the arguments don't make sense anymore. Of course the team is better with Marner than with a shittier RW'er in his place. But that's like saying I'd be better off with an electric wheelchair than a manual one.

When really I'd rather not be paralyzed at all.

It's the exact same weaknesses with the exact same unwillingness to address them. The same team with the same problems headed straight for the same results. They just keep going in circles.

Like a dumb animal chasing it's tail.
Yet, you keep watching.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I told you where the stats are. You get what you pay for and if you think you can do thinks like build a moon rocket reading Dr Seuss, that isn't my problem. Pull out your wallet and support a good cause. You might learn something about hockey.

I'm sure someone pretending to work in data science (like you) might get confused easily. It's CTR+C and CTR+P to paste the link. You can't even spell the name of the stat correctly. I had no issues with math or statistics exams during my economics studies, but I'm not searching for stat you pulled out of your ass. Dr Seuss :D

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dont know what we are talking about here. Is Marner important to this team. Yes. The most important player ? Debatable... Ok i get it now... thats what we are talking about.

I still say Matthews

1 Go into playoff with no Marner
2 Go into playoff with 3rd goalie
3 Go into playoff with no Matthews

Pick your poison.
Believe it or not we're pretty much at the bottom of the shallow end now as the thinking has become that the team is actually better without him now that he's hurt, addition by subtraction.
Pretty funny stuff.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you can’t admit the PK is better with him on it, it says more about your hate on than anything worth debating. The inability of his detractors to acknowledge any positive contribution is pathetic, but also revealing.
If you can’t admit the PK isn't much better with him on it, it says more about your love in than anything worth debating. The inability of his fans to acknowledge anything less than perfection is pathetic, but also revealing.

(Just having a bit of fun with your hyperbole.)

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'm sure someone pretending to work in data science (like you) might get confused easily. It's CTR+C and CTR+P to paste the link. You can't even spell the name of the stat correctly. I had no issues with math or statistics exams during my economics studies, but I'm not searching for stat you pulled out of your ass. Dr Seuss :D
This discussion goes beyond an honest argument. I put it up for any to challenge in a far more adult way than accusing me of falsifying anything. Pretty sure given the evidence, you would move onto another strawman attack. I will now ignore you with the others who are belligerent and are somehow able to stay despite the repeditiveness and toxicity that is brought on this board daily.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
If you can’t admit the PK isn't much better with him on it, it says more about your love in than anything worth debating. The inability of his fans to acknowledge anything less than perfection is pathetic, but also revealing.

(Just having a bit of fun with your hyperbole.)
Edmundson and dewar added and brody missing a couple games has buyoed the pk a bit but the forward units have been noticably weak without marner.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Believe it or not we're pretty much at the bottom of the shallow end now as the thinking has become that the team is actually better without him now that he's hurt, addition by subtraction.
Pretty funny stuff.
We are absolutly not better without him. We can manage and still play good without him. But we are never better without.

Reactions: ACC1224

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Pretty funny stuff.
This is what you are not comprehending, no one says we are better off without him. However, what people have said is that we are still capable with him out of the lineup. Now let’s say for fun, they decide to trade him and address other needs on the team. Some people think they would still be fine as a team, maybe even more balanced. Some of us don’t hate Marner, we just don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This discussion goes beyond an honest argument. I put it up for any to challenge in a far more adult way than accusing me of falsifying anything. Pretty sure given the evidence, you would move onto another strawman attack. I will now ignore you with the others who are belligerent and are somehow able to stay despite the repeditiveness and toxicity that is brought on this board daily.
You're killing me with this "adult" stuff. Please tell us more about how number of goals scored is a key metric, in judging how good someone is on the PK, this stuff is comedy gold. :laugh::laugh:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are absolutly not better without him. We can manage and still play good without him. But we are never better without.
Kind of reminds me of when Sundin went down in the playoffs and Macaulay and Roberts played great and then when Sundin returned, they lost to the Canes in the ECF.

Same with Rielly. Without him in the line up the team is 21-2-2. Makes no sense.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

All you have to do is share the link and settle on one name for the stat you are miss representing. Too much to ask? You called me all kinds of names and I don't care, funny how how that works.

Don't pretend to be offended and just share the link .

Btw I never reported you ,no matter the insult, because I really don't care, mostly laugh, genuinely curious about the stats ;)

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You're killing me with this "adult" stuff. Please tell us more about how number of goals scored is a key metric, in judging how good someone is on the PK, this stuff is comedy gold. :laugh::laugh:

"This discussion goes beyond an honest argument."

The high horse on this one :D. One of the most biased posters talks honest argument and gets offended. Not to mention It's still unclear which stats he talks about, goals prevented or scored above replacement ?

You can't be 8th on Leafs on PK and 10th league wide. WTF

Is he for real ? :DD:DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad