Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Mcdavid does it huh? Interesting... here are 60 goals by Mcdavid last season. You won't find any goal that remotely resembles the Marner play. Wow 60 goals and none similar.
- Mcdavid never skates into the offensive zone, does a 180 and goes towards the blueline.
- he also never turns his back on the goalies net while in the offensive zone. If he receives the puck with his back to the net he quickly faces and attacks the net.
- he never shoots a weak wrister from above the hashmarks either.
- he never fades away from the net and sends a shot towards the goal

Nothing in all 60 goals looks like what we see Marner do on the regular. In fact Marner only scored goals from 40 feet in last years playoffs, which are low percentage shots. None of Mcdavids 60 goals were from that region. Mcdavid is always facing the net and he's always attacking forward.

you know it was not a shot but a pass by Marner?!?! so i dont know what the hell here, youre comparing a player creating himself a shooting lane vs a passing lane?!?! Mcdavid doing it a lot especially with hyman in front of the net

but yeah for sure marner was trying to score by passing it right on jt stick wide of the net!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner being referred to as a 100 point winger without having accomplished the feat kind of reminds me of the 40 goal scorer Phil Kessel references despite also not accomplishing that feat.

I'd bet on Marner doing it in the next 1-2 years though, he's been *RIGHT THERE* so many times.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner being referred to as a 100 point winger without having accomplished the feat kind of reminds me of the 40 goal scorer Phil Kessel references despite also not accomplishing that feat.

I'd bet on Marner doing it in the next 1-2 years though, he's been *RIGHT THERE* so many times.
I think it's different if you pace out to over 100 as opposed to playing 82 games and coming close, like Phil.
Anyone looking at Marner play and being objective knows that had he played 82 games he'd easily hit 100.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think it's different if you pace out to over 100 as opposed to playing 82 games and coming close, like Phil.
Anyone looking at Marner play and being objective knows that had he played 82 games he'd easily hit 100.
He's paced at over 100 points each of the past four seasons (which is remarkable). In the past four years he averaged a 104 point pace. For me, anyone who quibbles with the technicality of it is just being obtuse. Nobody is saying he had a 100 point year, but don't try to spin it like he isn't that type production player, because the math over a long long period says shhhh. Such a boring "debate" to me, but what else is new with all things Mitch.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

He probably would have hit 100 the 2 covid years if not for covid.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
you know it was not a shot but a pass by Marner?!?! so i dont know what the hell here, youre comparing a player creating himself a shooting lane vs a passing lane?!?! Mcdavid doing it a lot especially with hyman in front of the net

but yeah for sure marner was trying to score by passing it right on jt stick wide of the net!!!!
Here are all Leon Draisaitls goals, 52 from the same year as the Mcdavid ones. Again none like the Marner play. 116 goals we've watched from Edmonton last year, and none like the Marner play. Doesn't seem like anyone does this play, or maybe it's just a low percentage play that rarely scores? In this highlight package, there are many powerplays, with similar type scenerios with players wide open that result in goals, however, the players with the puck actually pass it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really think one of the reason why MM is the most controversial/discussed player here is mainly bc there seems to be no middle ground between the two sides.
Unlike other players where, when and if he had a good or bad game, even their diehard haters or fans will still admit he had a good or bad game but not MM.
He is either Great all the time or sucks all the time.
He will have great game or bad game, great shift or horrible shift, make a great play or make a mistake. That’s just part of being a hockey player.
Also MM never had 100pts, that’s a fact but sure as hell he should had by now if it not for injuries, that’s also fact.
We all know what MM is by now. He is at his best when he is buzzing and controlling play with puck on his stick. Let’s just hope he delivers in the playoffs, where his performances will match his level, esp in MUST WIN elimination game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I really think one of the reason why MM is the most controversial/discussed player here is mainly bc there seems to be no middle ground between the two sides.
Unlike other players where, when and if he had a good or bad game, even their diehard haters or fans will still admit he had a good or bad game but not MM.
He is either Great all the time or sucks all the time.
He will have great game or bad game, great shift or horrible shift, make a great play or make a mistake. That’s just part of being a hockey player.
Also MM never had 100pts, that’s a fact but sure as hell he should had by now if it not for injuries, that’s also fact.
We all know what MM is by now. He is at his best when he is buzzing and controlling play with puck on his stick. Let’s just hope he delivers in the playoffs, where his performances will match his level, esp in MUST WIN elimination game.
I think all players have their ups and downs, but the up/down swing of playoff Marner have been pretty crazy. Even one of Marner's biggest fans in these parts posted recently that Marner has let him down in the playoffs, and I think anyone who can't see that either doesn't understand hockey, or is simply in denial.

Regular season Marner is as I've said before, money in the bank. That's nice and everything but the real goal is the cup, the real games start in a few days and I'm sure we all hope to see the best version of Mitch Marner we've ever seen. I thought he was at his best way back when against Boston when Matt Martin was still here as a big brother figure, I know that was a long time ago but hopefully he can play like that again. The 1st round's going to be tough and it's hard to see us having success without big contributions from all our top players.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think all players have their ups and downs, but the up/down swing of playoff Marner have been pretty crazy. Even one of Marner's biggest fans in these parts posted recently that Marner has let him down in the playoffs, and I think anyone who can't see that either doesn't understand hockey, or is simply in denial.

Regular season Marner is as I've said before, money in the bank. That's nice and everything but the real goal is the cup, the real games start in a few days and I'm sure we all hope to see the best version of Mitch Marner we've ever seen. I thought he was at his best way back when against Boston when Matt Martin was still here as a big brother figure, I know that was a long time ago but hopefully he can play like that again. The 1st round's going to be tough and it's hard to see us having success without big contributions from all our top players.
Exactly that.
He earns his paycheque in the regular season. In playoffs is where MM needs to do better. Now, to be fair, same goes for AM, Willie, JT and even Reilly. They all need to do better. Depth can help a game or two but if the big 5 not playing to their standards(which is to be the best players in the series) even if Sammy and Woll plays like Roy and Hasek, the Leafs won’t advance.
To me AM, MM and Willie are all capable of being the best player on both team in any given games. In theory, if each one of them can do that each series, that should put the Leafs to 3 wins, and they along with the others just need to grind out another W in a series then the Leafs will win and eventually win the Cup.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Exactly that.
He earns his paycheque in the regular season. In playoffs is where MM needs to do better. Now, to be fair, same goes for AM, Willie, JT and even Reilly. They all need to do better. Depth can help a game or two but if the big 5 not playing to their standards(which is to be the best players in the series) even if Sammy and Woll plays like Roy and Hasek, the Leafs won’t advance.
To me AM, MM and Willie are all capable of being the best player on both team in any given games. In theory, if each one of them can do that each series, that should put the Leafs to 3 wins, and they along with the others just need to grind out another W in a series then the Leafs will win and eventually win the Cup.

You lost me at Rielly, he is the only one that has consistently shown up in the playoffs.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

That's why the best ability is availability.

If you can't stay healthy, it doesn't really matter what you'd do if you could.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You lost me at Rielly, he is the only one that has consistently shown up in the playoffs.
Doing better doesnt mean he didn't show up.
Reilly is only Leafs that actually raised his game in the playoffs. If he can reach another level, which I think he can, that would be even better.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Doing better doesnt mean he didn't show up.
Reilly is only Leafs that actually raised his game in the playoffs. If he can reach another level, which I think he can, that would be even better.
My point being is he hits another level. What "next" level is the guy suppose to hit? PPG Defense at 25mins a night going +24? Be realistic.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Be interesting to see if the added snot can drag the 3 amigos into the fight.
I think if the Matthews line stays you’ll see a different 34. 16 needs to engage and not sit and wait for pucks to come to him. Get in the battle. Dont be the first guy in for a puck and look over your shoulder and bail. To successful it’s time to get outside your comfort zone.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Wendel Clark paced for 60.4 goals in the 1993-94 season and I've never heard him even regarded as a 50 goal scorer let alone 60 goal scorer. That doesn't even account for the games he did play that he was at less than 100%. Do or do not. There is no try.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wendel Clark paced for 60.4 goals in the 1993-94 season and I've never heard him even regarded as a 50 goal scorer let alone 60 goal scorer. That doesn't even account for the games he did play that he was at less than 100%. Do or do not. There is no try.
Critical thought is hard.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Here are all Leon Draisaitls goals, 52 from the same year as the Mcdavid ones. Again none like the Marner play. 116 goals we've watched from Edmonton last year, and none like the Marner play. Doesn't seem like anyone does this play, or maybe it's just a low percentage play that rarely scores? In this highlight package, there are many powerplays, with similar type scenerios with players wide open that result in goals, however, the players with the puck actually pass it.

1-you're better to find player who playing at jt spot and this guy is hyman not drasaitl whos playing at matthews spot

2- the only thing marner did is using the fact detroit put absolutly 0 pressure, attacking the middle and forcing detroit to react tocreate a passing lane to get a scoring chance. Exactly whats happened and that lane came from the slot in and he pass it to the guy in the slot. Skate on open space with the puck to create a passing lane, Its a pretty basic in hockey

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think most consider him a consistent 100 point player on pace.
His consistency is pretty remarkable, just needs to be a little more durable.

What he probably needs to shake more than anything is the usual slow start to the season, which has been a trend since his days in junior.

He always finishes strong, but takes a few weeks to warm up it seems

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad