Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even though he was out for a while it looks like Marner is going to lead the team in assists again.
He's tied now with Nylander in 13 less games.

Not sure how many years in a row this makes, 5/6?

Well he is currently almost making as much as Matthews to lead the team in assists. I sure hope he wins it or else it's quite embarrassing really. I doubt Nylander is going to offer our team any added value when his new contract kicks in. I am dreading what the damage is for Marner as well. Last thing we need to win a cup is 3 Forwards @ 40m and a D core and depth of made of bargain bin spare parts.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
His next contract negotiation is going to be fairly straight forward. Over the course of their careers Marner has been proven to be better than Nylander while worse than Matthews. $12-$12.75m is his window.

Time to make big changes to the core was last summer with Nylander not having a full-NTC. Seeing as we're committed to this group, Mitch's new deal should be done before next season starts.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
His next contract negotiation is going to be fairly straight forward. Over the course of their careers Marner has been proven to be better than Nylander while worse than Matthews. $12-$12.75m is his window.

Time to make big changes to the core was last summer with Nylander not having a full-NTC. Seeing as we're committed to this group, Mitch's new deal should be done before next season starts.
All very true.

It's a hard pill to swallow looking at the top paid players in the league.
McDavid - 12.5M
Mackinnon - 12.6M

I'm having such a tough time reconciling paying Mitch an equal or greater value. Our past mistakes shouldn't compound into future ones.

It's like the Leafs own cap eco-system is the new comparable rather than the reality of the 31 other teams.

I'll try not to get into it but looking at Hanifin's deal I'm feeling continued despair at our lack on investment and talent on D.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's not even making 2M right now, he's making 3M lol. No way he's taking less after this season.
He may not take less but he won't be making a great more here or elsewhere. Leafs can't overpay market value for term anymore, the Core ensured this.

It's why I begged for changes last season when they had a chance to trade either Nylander, Marner or both.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Let's hope Mitchy recovers from his high ankle sprain before da playoff starts .. we all need a healthy Mitchy who has his edgework working perfect .. you can see he is struggling right now

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A few months ago, a few board members said Marner was the better player between Marner and Panarin.

Panarin is 4th in points in the league

81 gp 48 goals 78 assists and 118 points

Panarin has 41 points more than the next Ranger and certainly doesn't have a linemate near the caliber of Matthews. And Panarin is doing it at the age of 32.

Kinda curious if those members still think Marner is better.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I'm not sure I see that. Marner is the same player he was 6 years ago. Completely stagnant. Nylander has been improving every year. I'm not paying a guy more because he was the better player 6 years ago. One of these guys is a 40 goal scorer without playing on the top line. Not to mention Matthews looks pretty good playing with Domi.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
All very true.

It's a hard pill to swallow looking at the top paid players in the league.
McDavid - 12.5M
Mackinnon - 12.6M

I'm having such a tough time reconciling paying Mitch an equal or greater value. Our past mistakes shouldn't compound into future ones.

It's like the Leafs own cap eco-system is the new comparable rather than the reality of the 31 other teams.

I'll try not to get into it but looking at Hanifin's deal I'm feeling continued despair at our lack on investment and talent on D.

I absolutely get what you're saying but context matters. McDavid signed his deal when the cap was under 80 mil and.was predicted for a rapid rise before the covid seasons changed things. His next deal is going to be considerably higher than a 12.5 aav

That said, the absolute limit on any Marners aav raise has to be what Matthews got - 1.61 mil,.and ideally less.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I absolutely get what you're saying but context matters. McDavid signed his deal when the cap was under 80 mil and.was predicted for a rapid rise before the covid seasons changed things. His next deal is going to be considerably higher than a 12.5 aav

That said, the absolute limit on any Marners aav raise has to be what Matthews got - 1.61 mil,.and ideally less.
That's a strong argument for the McDavid contract and well done

What about the more recent MacKinnon contract? Perennial hart candidate if not hart favorite, cup winner, unanimous top 3 player in the game. How could we not consider league wide context and ask ourselves if we're truly not making a mistake? We'd be price matching with a champion of the highest calibre and it's not fair for us to pay for the results we've seen

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another goal allowed on the PK since Marner came back. His fans have some explaining to do.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Another goal allowed on the PK since Marner came back. His fans have some explaining to do.
Mark Hunter left the Leafs six years ago.

To be fair, Marner did yell from the bench on the PK for Nylander to cover the weak side forward when they scored. Your comment says it all about your contributions here, thanks.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Mark Hunter left the Leafs six years ago.

To be fair, Marner did yell from the bench on the PK for Nylander to cover the weak side forward when they scored. Your comment says it all about your contributions here, thanks.
home-run.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know I know, but he's on a 103 point pace for the season, which would be the third time per game scoring at that rate. 8 points in 5 games without Matthews "carrying" him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad