Value of: Mitch Marner

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Could a base of brodie for marner work?

Matthews, Nylanders, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersen are our core moving forward.

Any other player making over 2.5M is not safe. We have enough depth on the wings and defence coming in that we can start to integrate them in with our stars.

Sign all our guys, but if they make too much, they will become trade bait, specifically for a young top 4 dman.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
You have to overpay to get a good young dman.

Johansen for Jones
Hall for Larsson

Hanifin for Marner appears to be the right value. Werenski and the like are a pipe dream.

You're quoting prices from a year and a half ago in an illiquid market. It's pretty silly to imply that the relative positional value remains the same.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
What a dopey thing to say. Pittsburg is doing quite well with Schultz and a bunch of guys. Getting six competent Dman is more important than getting guys better than Reilly and Gardiner.

Washington begs to differ :sarcasm: Pittsburgh has two top-5Cs in the game andd a top-5 RW. We do have much better depth that Pittsburgh and will be in the playoffs continously sooner or later but to be true contenders you need an elite #1D.

Even if we don't get that elite #1D somehow, we need a guy better or than Rielly and Gardiner for sure imo, but that will come with time through the draft or a non-core player trade of some sort for a D-man with potential but low cost (I.e Hamilton, Leddy type). Hamilton has turned into a beast for the Flames.

The key is not to trade away of the core players (Big-3 rookies, Kadri, Andersen, Rielly, Gardiner)

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
They'll trade Kapanen, or some different combination of assets, to Vegas for Spurgeon/Vatanen/Murray/Petrovic or whichever of the young 2nd pair guys that can't be protected, and keep Marner.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Keep him. Trade Bozak, JVR for draft picks or good d prospects. Use all the draft picks you have on defensemen lol.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
And what does that have to do with this thread? After all, we're in a "Value of Mitch Marner" discussion.

Matthews, Nylanders, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersen are our core moving forward.

Any other player making over 2.5M is not safe. We have enough depth on the wings and defence coming in that we can start to integrate them in with our stars.

Sign all our guys, but if they make too much, they will become trade bait, specifically for a young top 4 dman.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Mitch Marner is one of the 10 or 15 most valuable assets in the NHL.

One-for-one, these are the only players I would trade Marner for:

Connor McDavid
Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman
Patrick Laine
Jack Eichel
Roman Josi
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

Maybe:

Jonathan Drouin
Leon Draisaitl

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Mitch Marner is one of the 10 most valuable assets in the NHL.

Mcdavid
Crosby
Karlsson
Eichel
Hedman
Matthews
Kucherov
Benn
Doughty
Draisaitl

Thats ten in random order that definitely have more value than Marner. He isnt close to top 10.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Mitch Marner should be untouchable. The guy has a sixth sense when it comes to hockey that u can't teach. He'll only get better as he gets stronger.

Hanifin will become a solid D eventually but I just don't want to trade Mitch, period, regardless of who it's for.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Mcdavid
Crosby
Karlsson
Eichel
Hedman
Matthews
Kucherov
Benn
Doughty
Draisaitl

Thats ten in random order that definitely have more value than Marner. He isnt close to top 10.
Factoring in age and contracts I'd argue he has more value than Benn, Doughty, Crosby, and Karlsson in a vacuum (ignoring a team's particular needs at the moment) 60+ points for the next two years at under a million dollars is ridiculous value. And then of course you'll have him for the next 20 years including his entire prime.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Oh c'mon now, Marner is a awesome talent but please STOP overrating our players, Matthews is not even a top 10 OVERALL player in the league (Yet) and he is better than Marner.

Oh wait a minute, you said top 10 asset, as in trade asset right? In that case you are closer but still there are more than 10 guys who have better trade value.

Mitch Marner is one of the 10 most valuable assets in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Leafs would be nuts to trade Marner. I'd keep him over Nylander, but the smart move is to keep all three top young forwards.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Oh c'mon now, Marner is a awesome talent but please STOP overrating our players, Matthews is not even a top 10 OVERALL player in the league (Yet) and he is better than Marner.

I said he's one of the top 10 or 15 valuable assets.

It doesn't mean he's better than Sidney Crosby, Ryan Getzlaf or Nicklas Backstrom right now but in terms of age + contract + injuries, he's more valuable to another team than a Getzlaf in trade. You would be hard pressed to find more than 15 assets in the NHL that are more valuable. He has superstar talent and just turned 20 years old.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Factoring in age and contracts I'd argue he has more value than Benn, Doughty, Crosby, and Karlsson in a vacuum (ignoring a team's particular needs at the moment) 60+ points for the next two years at under a million dollars is ridiculous value. And then of course you'll have him for the next 20 years including his entire prime.

Holy **** I've never laughed so hard reading a post here in my life:laugh:

You just said value wise Marner> Crosby, Karlsson, Doughty and Benn holy ****:help: Please stop while you're ahead..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

You just said value wise Marner> Crosby, Karlsson, Doughty and Benn holy ****:help: Please stop while you're ahead..

Yeah but if you look closely into it, a 60+ point teenager who's controlled for 6 years is about as valuable as it gets. Benn put up like 8 more points than him at a much bigger cap hit and is gonna make 9.5 million for the next 8 years while Marner is making 800k. Would you pay an extra 9 million for an increase of 8 points if you were a GM?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
0% chance Marner is moved unless the return is insanely insane. I wouldn't trade Marner for Provorov or Werenski even though I think they'll be really good top-pairing D-men. Marner is a franchise talent to me. We have other pieces to trade (numerous great prospects Fs(Kappy, Bracco, Grundstrom, Leipsic, Timashov, etc), many draft picks stockpiled, etc).

Stay patient with the rebuild my friend. We just finished year 2, next year will be year 3. 5 year plan remember. That stud #1D or whatever will join our Rielly/Gardiner/Zaistev group soon.

I'm just curious, as I agree that Marner won't be moved anytime soon, how you expect the Leafs to have their #1D within the next 3 years?

Do Leaf fans think they'll get him from a package of Kapanen/Bracco/Leipsic, Timashov, etc)? Basically every team has equivalent/better prospects. Are you banking on drafting one in the top ~15 and having them be #1D by the age of 21?

Just genuinely curious where Leaf fans think this #1D will come from without dealing Marner/Nylander/Matthews.

Obvious won't happen by next year as you need to see more of each of them, but seems rather necessary to me..

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

I don't wanna move either guy. Love them both. If I was forced, King Joffrey.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Crosby is one of the two best players on the planet. He's also aging and has a horrendous history of concussions. He also makes top money on the cap.

Doughty makes top money and is a UFA in 2 years.

Benn is good but he's not as talented as Marner. He also makes huge money.

Mitch Marner is a star at 20 years old and has superstar talent. He's also on his ELC for another 2 years.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Crosby is one of the two best players on the planet. He's also aging and has a horrendous history of concussions. He also makes top money on the cap.

Doughty makes top money and is a UFA in 2 years.

Benn is good but he's not as talented as Marner. He also makes huge money.

Mitch Marner is a star at 20 years old and has superstar talent. He's also on his ELC for another 2 years.

Karlsson is also a UFA in two years. I'm actually not sure how one could have such a huge lack of understanding about how contracts work. Does he know once a player's contract is up they don't play for you anymore? Does he know there's a salary cap and GMs place enormous value on producing relative to their cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad