Mitch Marner vs William Nylander

Mitch Marner vs William Nylander

• Total voters

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Marner has a much better compete level when the going gets physical. So him.
He only scores on the PP (hyperbole), so much physical play on the PP.

This is a silly post, Marner plays sheltered minutes and relies on the PP that's is the definition of a soft player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner has always had the edge here. Gap widen last season and no reason to believe that trend won't continue.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
He only scores on the PP (hyperbole), so much physical play on the PP.

This is a silly post, Marner plays sheltered minutes and relies on the PP that's is the definition of a soft player.

Except his numbers went up when playing on a shutdown line with Naz and Marleau and was the best player in the playoffs.

Marner has a higher potentiel IMO and JT will certainly help him get close to it. I think Willy still has a lot of room to grow and will probably top off as a 65-70 pts player where as Marner has 90 pts potentiel.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This isn't even close, Marner is closer to Matthews than he is to Nylander.

Are you sure about that?

upload_2018-9-10_10-11-40.png

upload_2018-9-10_10-15-25.png

The only reason people believe Marner is better today is because of a well-timed hot streak to end the season, plus being one of the best PP players in hockey. If you want to look unintelligent you can also talk about "effort" and "heart", but that's on you.

Nylander > Marner even strength (and it's not really that close).

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Are you sure about that?

View attachment 138729

View attachment 138731

The only reason people believe Marner is better today is because of a well-timed hot streak to end the season, plus being one of the best PP players in hockey. If you want to look unintelligent you can also talk about "effort" and "heart", but that's on you.

Nylander > Marner even strength (and it's not really that close).

I've watched enough of both, Marner is a line driver and Nylander is a very good complimentary player. Marner also played with lesser line mates and outperformed Nylander both years.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've watched enough of both, Marner is a line driver and Nylander is a very good complimentary player. Marner also played with lesser line mates and outperformed Nylander both years.

Nylander drives his line better than Marner does, and calling him a "complimentary player" is not true in the least.

Marner has the ability to raise his linemates sh% better than Nylander does due to his insane vision and better passing ability, but he does not drive possession nearly as well as Nylander does - Nylander creates shot attempts far better.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Nylander drives his line better than Marner does, and calling him a "complimentary player" is not true in the least.

Marner has the ability to raise his linemates sh% better than Nylander does due to his insane vision and better passing ability, but he does not drive possession nearly as well as Nylander does - Nylander creates shot attempts far better.

Nylander is not the line driver on his line, Matthews is. When Matthews wasn't going in the playoffs Nylander was completely invisible. Marner on the other hand looked very very good in the playoffs and actually produced, because he is the line driver on his line.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nylander is not the line driver on his line, Matthews is. When Matthews wasn't going in the playoffs Nylander was completely invisible. Marner on the other hand looked very very good in the playoffs and actually produced, because he is the line driver on his line.

But none of that is even remotely true though? Mostly playing against the Bergeron line, Nylander put up:

rel.CF%: +5.98
rel.xGF%: +4.26

Nylander was also driving that line's possession even though Matthews was mostly playing like trash.

Marner on the other hand "who actually produced" was getting flattened in the playoffs:

rel.CF%: -2.8
rel.xGF%: +0.11

He "actually produced" because of his ability to raise his teammates sh% like he's always been able to do, not because of his ability to drive a line. Also, he's one of the best PP players in hockey.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
But none of that is even remotely true though? Mostly playing against the Bergeron line, Nylander put up:

rel.CF%: +5.98
rel.xGF%: +4.26

Nylander was also driving that line's possession even though Matthews was mostly playing like trash.

Marner on the other hand "who actually produced" was getting flattened in the playoffs:

rel.CF%: -3.43
rel.xGF%: -1.59

He actually produced because of his ability to raise his teammates sh% like he's always been able to do, not because of his ability to drive a line.

It's great that he had good expected numbers but we already went through that round of the playoffs. Only reason the Leafs made it to game 7 was because of Marner. No need to tell me how many points he was expected to get, I already know how many he already got.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's great that he had good expected numbers but we already went through that round of the playoffs. Only reason the Leafs made it to game 7 was because of Marner. No need to tell me how many points he was expected to get, I already know how many he already got.

But you're talking about line driving, not points? You're talking about complimentary players?

Come on man.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Had Marner been allowed to play with Matthews instead the difference between the two would be immense.

Reactions: Cotton

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Had Marner been allowed to play with Matthews instead the difference between the two would be immense.

You don't know this, and I feel like this is spewed far too often as a sort of "chirp" towards Nylander.

Nylander creates more shooting attempts/chances which equates to better chances for his linemates. This is something that Matthews needs, as we've seen what happens when Nylander is taken away from him and how ineffective he becomes.

Although Marner has the ability to raise his teammates sh% and make good players great (JVR), he does not have the same ability to drive possession that Nylander does.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
But you're talking about line driving, not points? You're talking about complimentary players?

Come on man.

Shouldn't the guy you are claiming is a line driver, who also plays with a much better line mate, not be out producing the guy who he crushed in advanced stats? Shouldn't this poll be much closer if that was the case? But it's not, it's a landslide for Marner.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Shouldn't the guy you are claiming is a line driver, who also plays with a much better line mate, not be out producing the guy who he crushed in advanced stats? Shouldn't this poll be much closer if that was the case? But it's not, it's a landslide for Marner.

It's a landslide because of how the season ended and peoples inability to look beyond points or perceived potential.

Sure, if you truly believe Marner will be better that's fine in my eyes. If you think he's better today, that's fine too.

If you believe it's "not close" in either direction, you're completely out to lunch.

Looking at it completely objectively, Nylander had the better 2nd season by almost every measure except points/PPP.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You don't know this, and I feel like this is spewed far too often as a sort of "chirp" towards Nylander.

Nylander creates more shooting attempts/chances which equates to better chances for his linemates. This is something that Matthews needs, as we've seen what happens when Nylander is taken away from him and how ineffective he becomes.

Although Marner has the ability to raise his teammates sh% and make good players great (JVR), he does not have the same ability to drive possession that Nylander does.
I'm just going on common sense. He outscores him playing with lessor players, stands to reason he would put up more with Matthews.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm just going on common sense. He outscores him playing with lessor players, stands to reason he would put up more with Matthews.

Meh. JVR is an elite scorer and they played a heavy sheltered role designed for them to have no comp and put up crazy amounts of points. Also, Kadri is really not a slouch in any regard. He's arguably (very easy argument) a top-20 C in the entire league, and I mean:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Meh. JVR is an elite scorer and they played a heavy sheltered role designed for them to have no comp and put up crazy amounts of points. Also, Kadri is really not a slouch in any regard. He's arguably (very easy argument) a top-20 C in the entire league, and I mean:

Kadri is a very good player, no doubt.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Except Marner/Matthews has terrible numbers when playing together and Babcock refused to further that failed experiment despite fans and media whining for them to play together.

But Marner is clearly a 90 point player just because and stuff

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Love the too close to call option. They’re just both so damn good!

It’s Marner, and Marner in the future.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Except Marner/Matthews has terrible numbers when playing together and Babcock refused to further that failed experiment despite fans and media whining for them to play together.

But Marner is clearly a 90 point player just because and stuff

Marner and Matthews never really got a good enough look together to adequately judge.

As for the poll, I go back and forth quite a bit. Both are terrific young players. We may see some clarity this coming season as they should both be paired with an elite C.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00