I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Should we Trade or Keep Marner?

EDIT: His NMC kicks in July 1st, 2023

Scenarios:
- We keep Marner then:
A) he either walks as UFA in 2 years
B) he wants anywhere from 12 to 14 AAV for 8 years (currently at approx. 11 AAV for 6 years)

Given his play in the playoffs especially in elimination games he just doesn't have the next gear and even worse he makes the worse plays possible by giving away pucks and not fighting for the pucks. If there is no free ice mitch marner is not useful.
Do we really want to commit to that kind of AAV to this kind of player?

OR

- trade Marner get what we can for him and move on. retool/rebuild.

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
I think the only player thay needs to go is Tavares with his albatros contract and we can work things out. These guys are young, more productive and still developing. Tavares looks like a plug for 11mil he can't even throw a solid hit.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Trade but with conditions.

It has to be for another star younger than Marner. I'm not into swapping stars into multiple lower tiered guys.

You can take a loss on points for someone who you predict will mesh better with Matthews in the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This would be another trade that I'd hesitate to endorse. The points were still there even though we'd like to see more of them occur during the team's greatest time of need.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really wanted MM to turn around but it is not that he wasn’t producing but he was just losing the pucks more than I had ever seen the past 5 games. It is really a mental thing for him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think the only player thay needs to go is Tavares with his albatros contract and we can work things out. These guys are young, more productive and still developing. Tavares looks like a plug for 11mil he can't even throw a solid hit.
I can't imagine anyone wanting that contract.

Does he have a no trade?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I really wanted MM to turn around but it is not that he wasn’t producing but he was just losing the pucks more than I had ever seen the past 5 games. It is really a mental thing for him.

He was our worst player.

Your 11M winger. Was your worst.
Worse than min wage guys.

He makes more than Mcdavid/Marchand/Pasta/Drai/TKachuk.

Let that sink in. Ship him away ASAP

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Trade this player. There is no way the Leafs can sign off on that raise he will be looking for. Let another team make that mistake.

He was our worst player.

The second he signed that contract he was traded for me. Never understood it. Still don't. And none of this is really that surprising at this point.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He was our worst player.

..... He also makes top 4 or maybe higher for endorsements because he's a leaf. To think he's constantly complaining about social media fans and the media calling him out for trash play? Talk about entitlement! Later Marner. You should have signed for 8 and demanded a nmc sooner - Dubas I'm sure would have done it!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'd like to see Mitch under a new head coach. That doesn't mean you close the door on a trade, Dubas (or whoever the GM is) just has to be methodical about it, take his time and if it takes until the TDL next year for a good trade then you wait.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Mitch under a new head coach. That doesn't mean you close the door on a trade, Dubas (or whoever the GM is) just has to be methodical about it, take his time and if it takes until the TDL next year for a good trade then you wait.
We've seen him with a coach that kicked his ass, and we've seen him with a coach that coddled him like the spoiled child he is.

What else is there to see?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad