Confirmed with Link: Mitch Marner selected to the 2023 NHL All Star Game

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

I get the idea, but I think not showcasing the best players in the league, and turning the whole event into an irrelevant joke that nobody cares about is worse for marketing than a few tanking teams sometimes not being represented. For a "marketing event", the NHL sure does a horrible job actually marketing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"Low-stakes marketing opportunity." Pure and utter B.S.

Not having the best U.S. player in Matthews there is not wise marketing. Or the best U.S. goalie in Hellebuyck.

No Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Dahlin or Rantanen either.

But hey, everyone knows Brock Nelson and Kevin Hayes will boom those ratings.

The NHL has always been a joke and lagging behind in how to market the game and its stars.

It doesn't matter who is there per say, it's about having a player there from every team for the purpose of marketing. You take the best performing player from every team (healthy) and voila, low effort marketing for kids.

It isn't overly complicated or that serious. It's just that.

"Too many folks on hockey Twitter think of the all star game as a serious contest "

Who in their right minds think it's a 'serious contest'?

If you don't know, you don't know.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't believe the NHL is aiming their Marketing at the Fans but at Sponsors.
Good way to bring Customers to one spot for a free weekend.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
At what point do we start seeing fan bases voting for their rival's players to go to the All-Star game rather than their own? The goal being to force their rival's stars to have to participate or be fined rather than rest up, and thus putting more wear/tear come playoff time. It's a small measure, but it could be an advantage none the less.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I expect fans will vote Matthews to the AS Game as the reigning Hart and Rocket holder, who is the Leafs BEST player but not having the best season.
When it was announced that the NHL would be selecting 1 player from all 32 teams, I thought Matthews would have been selected based on the fact he's the reigning winner Hart Trophy, 2x Rocket Richard, and Ted Lindsay.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't believe the NHL is aiming their Marketing at the Fans but at Sponsors.
Good way to bring Customers to one spot for a free weekend.
Using that logic you think the NHL would have selected Matthews based on the fact he signed an exclusive deal with Fanatics and their sponsorship with the NHL.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The skills competition is entertaining. The game is snoozola
I see it as a event specifically for the kids. I used to love watching the skills competition and the AllStar game was fun because you get to see the best players on each team goof around and have fun

I get it the players would rather have these days off but these are the responsibilities of getting paid millions to play hockey so suck it up and show off your skills to the kids

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs fans will stuff the ballot box and send Matthews and Murray when what they’ll really need in February is a nice break.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought fans were picking everyone
NHL Hockey Operations first selected one player from all 32 teams.

The fan vote opened up at this past Thursday at 9:00 PM on nhl.com and on Twitter with the name of the player you want, plus the #NHLAllStarVote.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"Do I have to?!"

"It's your turn!"

"But, ahhh, ummm, I have a sore foot."

"Don't worry, there is a no-hitting, no-slap shot rule in effect this year."

"I thought there always was?"

"It is official this year."

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Poor Mitch. He is stuck going to that waste of time while the rest of his teammates get to enjoy a nice break doing whatever they want.

The only positive for him is that it's in Florida, so at least he gets to enjoy some sun and golf.
He’s never done it so he’s prob happy to have one all star game experience but in the future let’s let him have the break.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s never done it so he’s prob happy to have one all star game experience but in the future let’s let him have the break.

Are you sure ?? In ST. Louis, I recall him shooting pucks from the second section trying to hit a target at centre ice in the skills competition.

This will be Marner’s second appearance at All-Star weekend. He’s been chosen once since he entered the NHL and it was back in 2020.

Reactions: ACC1224

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Are you sure ?? In ST. Louis, I recall him shooting pucks from the second section trying to hit a target at centre ice in the skills competition.

This will be Marner’s second appearance at All-Star weekend. He’s been chosen once since he entered the NHL and it was back in 2020.
Ah my mistake

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

That was such a dumb challenge. :facepalm:
Pretty sure that was the last time I tuned in for the event.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leaf Nation fan ballot voted him into the 2020 game.

This year the league picked him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leaf Nation fan ballot voted him into the 2020 game.

This year the league picked him.
Marner got voted in 2020 due to the last man in vote. Yes, it was Leafs fans who voted him in that way. However in 2019 and 2022 when Morgan Rielly and John Tavares were the Leafs players up for that same vote they didn't get selected.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Which is why I am wondering when it get to the point where fans start voting in players from their opponents in order to take that break from them. We should be voting in Tampa or Boston players.
And Matt Martin and Tom Wilson and hope for injuries?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad