Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just for poops and giggles...lets say Marner hits the trade block, what are some offers...there are 2 criteria:
1. Trade needs to be based on a top end D coming back.
2. Trade needs to have the value of 4 1sts minimum, or TO just waits out an offersheet.

I say this as a guy that does not want to trade Marner...but it will at least be something to talk about.

Reactions: Devonator

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Pass. I have zero desire to trade Marmer, so if a team wants him....offersheet him and put those 1sts on the table. people will say that's a stupid attitude, i don't care.
I get where you're coming from, but I think I would prefer this for my team rather than 4 first round picks, unless those 4 were coming from Buffalo/Arizona/Edmonton. Teams I wouldn't be shocked if they improve over the 4 years, or don't.

Having an immediate replacement and still getting the 2020/2021 1st is pretty big, and something I'd value over 4 consecutive years of first round picks. Obviously I would prefer to keep Marner but would rather this package over 4 first.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think rantanen has a thread . Well one even close to the first page cuz there has been zero news about him

TBH, there hasn't been much news about Marner either. Rumours and speculation for sure, but that has more to do with who he plays for than anything else. No confirmed meetings with teams, no confirmed offer sheets, nothing really. Same as Rantanen, or Point etc.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Honestly I love Marner and if I were an athlete like him and Matthews I would also try snd get as much money as possible, but at the same time like he knows the Leafs have cap issues yet hes still demanding all this cash. If you want all that money, just ask for a trade cause thats the only way hes getting what he wants.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
TBH, there hasn't been much news about Marner either. Rumours and speculation for sure, but that has more to do with who he plays for than anything else. No confirmed meetings with teams, no confirmed offer sheets, nothing really. Same as Rantanen, or Point etc.
Yeah but I don't even see rumours or speculation. I was curious to see if the people on the avs board were talking about him at all and it doesn't seem like he has a thread on their first page unless I'm just blind. I'm guessing rantanen and marner are probably waiting for the other to sign . To keep this on topic hahah

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Honestly I love Marner and if I were an athlete like him and Matthews I would also try snd get as much money as possible, but at the same time like he knows the Leafs have cap issues yet hes still demanding all this cash. If you want all that money, just ask for a trade cause thats the only way hes getting what he wants.
Why should a guy like Marner who's on a dirt cheap ELC compared to what he's delivered, have to eat less because Dubas caved in on Nylander, for example?

Smart thing to do would have been to trade Nylander's rights for help on defense and actually plan ahead for what Marner was going to cost him. He didn't and now I don't see why Marner should have to take less as a result.

That's not Monday morning quarterbacking either. While the Nylander saga was playing out the words "trade for defense?" and "Marner's contract?" were brought up fairly regularly.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Why should a guy like Marner who's on a dirt cheap ELC compared to what he's delivered, have to eat less because Dubas caved in on Nylander, for example?

Smart thing to do would have been to trade Nylander's rights for help on defense and actually plan ahead for what Marner was going to cost him. He didn't and now I don't see why Marner should have to take less as a result.

That's not Monday morning quarterbacking either. While the Nylander saga was playing out the words "trade for defense?" and "Marner's contract?" were brought up fairly regularly.

Oh I agree with what youre saying 100%, but whats done is done. But lets be honest about Nylander, hes overpaid by about 400k max. If he was getting $6M.5 would that really make a dofference here? No, they would still have cap issues. He could take a $9.5Mx6 deal ehich is what hes worth and call it a day, but instead he’d rather go for more which the Leafs obviously cant do.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Faciest stat is goals above replacement that is all encompassing.

PlayerGAR (Evolving Hockey)GAR (Corsica)GAR (Average)
Matthews (Per 60)0.6080.630.619
Matthews (Aggregate)38.842.9840.89
Marner (Per 60)0.55100.2755
Marner (Aggregate)39.11.5320.315
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Evolving Hockey says they are close enough that Marner's durability means he provides more aggregate value than Matthews. But Corsica's says Marner is basically replacement level lol. So where you stand on the respective players almost entirely comes down to how much weight you place on each model. Most people like Evolving Hockey's model, but even if you only put 25% weight on Corsica's, Matthews still comes out well ahead.

I personally don't place much faith into any of these stats but at least they are objective and all encompassing.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Oh I agree with what youre saying 100%, but whats done is done. But lets be honest about Nylander, hes overpaid by about 400k max. If he was getting $6M.5 would that really make a dofference here? No, they would still have cap issues. He could take a $9.5Mx6 deal ehich is what hes worth and call it a day, but instead he’d rather go for more which the Leafs obviously cant do.

Easy to say, but then why didn’t Matthews do that? Sure, you could say Matthews is a better player, but then why did Marner lead the team in scoring for the last 2 years? If injuries are an excuse, then why should Marner be penalized for being healthy? Hard questions to answer..

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Nylander is also a cautionary tale for the Leafs when it comes to agreeing with too much for Marner. What if his chemistry with Tavares disappears and he struggles to get it going next season? Nylander was pretty much on pace with Marner in his first two seasons. He wasn't last season.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Just for poops and giggles...lets say Marner hits the trade block, what are some offers...there are 2 criteria:
1. Trade needs to be based on a top end D coming back.
2. Trade needs to have the value of 4 1sts minimum, or TO just waits out an offersheet.

I say this as a guy that does not want to trade Marner...but it will at least be something to talk about.
I could see the Flyers and the Leafs do something around Provorov + for Marner......

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

because he got offer-sheeted. Don't let this little tidbit get in the way though :laugh:

And in Marner’s case, we’ve heard countless reports from insiders which suggest an offer sheet could be very close.

Anyway, where did you go, IPS? I could’ve used some backup on my side in the Matthews overpayment debates ;)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And in Marner’s case, we’ve heard countless reports from insiders which suggest an offer sheet could be very close.

Anyway, where did you go, IPS? I could’ve used some backup on my side in the Matthews overpayment debates ;)

If you're not familiar with the media sensationalism, there's not much to discuss.

Just the fact that Aho actually got an offer sheet and Marner still gets as much talk as him says it all. I've tried to make several bets that Marner won't be offer-sheeted with a few folks around here and they all scurry away like cowards.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If you're not familiar with the media sensationalism, there's not much to discuss.

Just the fact that Aho actually got an offer sheet and Marner still gets as much talk as him says it all. I've tried to make several bets that Marner won't be offer-sheeted with a few folks around here and they all scurry away like cowards.

Between the reports we’ve heard and the dynamics of the situation, it’s the most interesting and exciting story of the off-season. I’m aware that there’s plenty of media sensationalism, but it’s still worth noting that said sensationalism is a big reason why these threads have so much traffic.

If Patrik Laine’s dad came out and complained about Blake Wheeler’s contract, I’m sure that Laine would have a multi-page thread as well. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad