Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Nah, I took exception to your claim of the Leafs circumventing the cap. As for any talk of advantages I have stated "different teams, places, and individuals have their own advantages and did advantages" though admittedly not directly to you but with in the context of the tangent we are on now. There is no "everyone hates us! See?” position among leaf fans on this board. It has been made up as a thought terminating cliche on this board.

Weird since you yourself stated that I was only saying that because I don’t like Toronto and am mad they are keeping their core together. I guess I made that up to silence you.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Every team is allowed to do this. Heck this was encouraged so Toronto fans could pay the contract to help keep the lights on in columbus

Toronto is not allowed to offer tax free contracts.

Every team can’t do it though because they cannot afford to. That is advantage for you.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every team can’t do it though because they cannot afford to. That is advantage for you.

They could if they were better franchises and made more money. Nothing is preventing them from doing this. Toronto cannot have lower taxes no matter what it does.

One is a situational advantage, the other is systemic.

Reactions: Dekes For Days
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
And yet the two teams with the most favorable tax situations (TB and NSH) seem to get players to sign some of the best value contracts around.
Toronto signed a hometown player, one of the biggest FA fish of the last decade or two to a "below market" contract. I'll be sure to let you know the next time Dallas signs a player in a similar fashion.

Reactions: Pile

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

They can. They choose not too. They are all billionaires.
And If they can’t. Then they should be moved or get new owners/partners.

That’s like saying “well we can’t draft as well as Tampa. So they should get less picks”.

Every team has the right to do what the leafs do.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Toronto signed a hometown player, one of the biggest FA fish of the last decade or two to a "below market" contract. I'll be sure to let you know the next time Dallas signs a player in a similar fashion.

Tyler seguin?
Bishop?
Klingberg?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No? There shouldn’t be a cap on anything. There is no weather cap or real estate cap or good player cap or ticket price. cap.

That is the natural state of affairs. The NHL has chosen to ARTIFICIALLY limit a franchisees ability to spend money on personnel for their own product.

That’s the point. The point is that the league has artificially hamstrung some teams. And then the cap that they artificially brought in has allowed some a distinct advantage.

If a person is in favour of a Cap. They can’t be in favour of a cap that allows systemic advantage
This thing goes round and round to the same conclusions every time.

The cap was not put in place as an "equal play", "level playing field", "parity" ploy. It was put in place PRIMARILY to ensure cost certainty to the owners. That's it. All the other stuff is a byproduct. This is why the Coyotes can trade for dead contracts, the Leafs can trade for players who will never play a game in Toronto, etc. It was never meant to be a leveler. That is why the owners don't care about this "issue".

If you want to go back to the good old days pre-cap I'm all for it. Dallas was one of the top paying teams and had one of the best. We would be back there because our fanbase supports a winner big time. Let's do it.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Tyler seguin?
Bishop?
Klingberg?
Seguin is making nearly 10 a year and was able to get the 8th year from his team. He is the 7th highest paid center in the league.

Bishop had ties to Dallas from his junior hockey days. The Stars proved their interest in him by trading for his rights. I'm pretty sure he was injured at the time of signing. He signed a 6 year deal for a shade under 5 as a 30 year old. 6 years is a lot of term for a goalie with his injury history.

Klingberg. Are you f***ing serious? This is what shows that you've got no clue. He was signed to that beauty of a contract after his rookie season. The team banked on him being the real deal and he decided to sign the contract after a less than 70 game rookie season. This doesn't fit your criteria in the least.

How about Jamie Benn? They're paying him nearly 10 a year until he's 35. No discount there. It was one of the highest contracts in the league the day it was signed. 3rd highest paid LW in the game.

Esa Lindell didn't exactly get signed for peanuts. 25 year old with 3 years to his name and he got 6M a year for 6 years.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
They can. They choose not too. They are all billionaires.
And If they can’t. Then they should be moved or get new owners/partners.

That’s like saying “well we can’t draft as well as Tampa. So they should get less picks”.

Every team has the right to do what the leafs do.

Different teams have different market sizes which can only generate so much revenue. Your comment is showing your complete lack of understanding of business basics.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
You have 11 million dollars on ltir. Acquiring Clarkson allowed you to sign 7 guys to deals that you couldn’t have without that trade. That is cap circumventing. Regardless of that, even if you take that out, the Toronto Maple Leafs have tons of advantages and some fans still want more.

You clearly do not understand the meaning of “cap circumventing.” I get that you are trying to point out the financial might of the Leafs, but a rich team working within the rules of the CBA that apply to ALL TEAMS EQUALLY, does not constitute “cap circumvention” in any way.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Different teams have different market sizes which can only generate so much revenue. Your comment is showing your complete lack of understanding of business basics.

And you show your lack of business basics. If you have a team without efficient market than that team has to pay accordingly or move. It’s a poor business move.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The cap was not put in place as an "equal play", "level playing field", "parity" ploy.
While the biggest reason for the cap may have been cost certainty, that could have been accomplished in other ways. The way they implemented it and the comments and actions of the league over the last 15 or so years indicate very clear feelings regarding parity.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Weird since you yourself stated that I was only saying that because I don’t like Toronto and am mad they are keeping their core together. I guess I made that up to silence you.
No, I said the the idea of Toronto circumventing the cap is a propagated by people who are disappointed that the Leafs did not enter the cap hell and have to break up their core that some truly wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad