Proposal: Mitch Marner for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Didn't realize Jackets fans were so passionate. Guess your team needs nothing then! What was the problem last year? How can you improve?I mean all your players are just great.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
**** No...

Would be extremely difficult to decline this from the Leafs POV but I wouldn’t let go of Marner, forget his skill, his relationship with the players in the room (especially Matthews) should be considered

Last edited by a moderator:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
And yet his team missed the playoffs. Hockey is very much a team sport. We can approximate something kinda sorta like McDavid's role with PLD. We can't approximate a Jones replacement. And we've built our team strategies around having guys like Jones and Werenski and Nutivaara.

If we had someone like, say, a McAvoy on the way up, then it'd be just as easily a "hell yes, where do we sign". But we don't.
And if Washington's Cup this year and Pittsburgh's back to back have shown anything it is that a game-breaking 1C is what wins championships in today's NHL. Look at the past 3 Stanley cup finals: Pens vs Sharks, Pens vs Preds and Caps vs Golden Knights. In all three the team with the better top centre won, even when the other team had a far superior blue-line. Indeed, aside from arguably the 2016 Sharks (an old but still productive Joe Thornton) none of the losing finalists even had a true 1C, just like Columbus.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
WTF are you even going with with this? leafs lost in the first round as well. Are you just a passionate loser then?
To be fair, the Leafs did decide they needed something after that loss. They went out and got another franchise 1C.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And if Washington's Cup this year and Pittsburgh's back to back have shown anything it is that a game-breaking 1C is what wins championships in today's NHL. Look at the past 3 Stanley cup finals: Pens vs Sharks, Pens vs Preds and Caps vs Golden Knights. In all three the team with the better top centre won, even when the other team had a far superior blue-line.
Cool. That speaks well for Toronto's chances. We're willing to go with the theory that when you've got blueliners who can outscore the opposition's forwards and still defend that one doesn't need the #1C to break the game open - it's being handled by the rest of the team. :)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Didn't realize Jackets fans were so passionate. Guess your team needs nothing then! What was the problem last year? How can you improve?I mean all your players are just great.
#1 we lost to the cup champs #2 We need a elite 1C and thats it really. sure we could upgrade a few people here and there but not worth core pieces. Best goalie in the league, top young D pair in the league, and a great top line. Had the youngest team in the league 2 years in a row. We are not really needing much right now...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
#1 we lost to the cup champs #2 We need a elite 1C and thats it really. sure we could upgrade a few people here and there but not worth core pieces. Best goalie in the league, top young D pair in the league, and a great top line. Had the youngest team in the league 2 years in a row. We are not really needing much right now...
Bet if you had Marner an elite 1c would suddenly appear!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
And if Washington's Cup this year and Pittsburgh's back to back have shown anything it is that a game-breaking 1C is what wins championships in today's NHL. Look at the past 3 Stanley cup finals: Pens vs Sharks, Pens vs Preds and Caps vs Golden Knights. In all three the team with the better top centre won, even when the other team had a far superior blue-line. Indeed, aside from arguably the 2016 Sharks (an old but still productive Joe Thornton) none of the losing finalists even had a true 1C, just like Columbus.
Its not the fact they had better Cs more like 1 team had a 1/2 punch of the 2 best centers of their generation and the Caps had Ovi who is arguably one of the best players ever and top 1 or 2 goal scorers ever...

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Cool. That speaks well for Toronto's chances. We're willing to go with the theory that when you've got blueliners who can outscore the opposition's forwards and still defend that one doesn't need the #1C to break the game open - it's being handled by the rest of the team. :)
Maybe Columbus will be the first team in many years to win a Cup without a getting a true #1C. Not to try and sound mean, but I don't see the odds of that being high however, I don't think it has happened since the Devils of 2000. That is a lot of history to fight against.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I’m as high on Marner as they come. I believe he’s got Art Ross potential in his future. He still doesn’t get Jones though.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I love Marner, but you don't get a 1D on a great contract for a winger. Columbus passes IMO.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe Columbus will be the first team in many years to win a Cup without a getting a true #1C. Not to try and sound mean, but I don't see the odds of that being high however, I don't think it has happened since the Devils of 2000. That is a lot of history to fight against.
Maybe. Or maybe PLD will get there and we won't have to worry; he sure as heck looked like one in the latter half of the season. Hard to say. The point is that we've got possibilities at C that can work out, but not at RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad