Proposal: Mitch Marner for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I could see a day when the CBJ really want to upgrade their scoring (like if Panarin leaves) and I could see the Leafs talking to them to balance out their roster and core, and I would expect something in the realm of Jones, Werenski, Nylander, Marner and other things in some combination. But that's not for a little while yet.
I think it's far more likely that the Leafs will let Liljegren develop and the Jackets will let Abramov and Foudy develop. (Also, since you mentioned Jones, you forgot to mention Matthews - he's in similar "no way no how don't bother asking" territory, even with JT.)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I'm a HUGE Leafs fan. This is so lopsided in Toronto's favor it isn't even funny.

Jones is much more valuable than Mitch.
Looked up Jones' contract. That was a steal by the Jackets.

Maybe the Leafs could bundle a secondary player with Marner, but that is pretty much the limit for a trade for Jones. Even with that great contract, he isn't worth near Matthews so that wouldn't happen.

Is there a feasible package that could fetch Jones? One would think Marner would be the core of any such deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Looked up Jones' contract. That was a steal by the Jackets.

Maybe the Leafs could bundle a secondary player with Marner, but that is pretty much the limit for a trade for Jones. Even with that great contract, he isn't worth near Matthews so that wouldn't happen.
Makes sense for the Leafs that way, but for the Jackets, the limit for any Jones trade is still "no interest, have a nice day". :)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Doesn't Werenski plays LHD? So not ideal. Leafs are pitiful on the right and actually pretty solid on the left.
True. Jones for Kadri & Liljegren would make more sense, but i was particularly interested in seeing if there was any chance that Werenski was more expendable, seeing as Jones is borderline untouchable.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Makes sense for the Leafs that way, but for the Jackets, the limit for any Jones trade is still "no interest, have a nice day". :)
C'mon, we both know that isn't true. Theoretically, if Edmonton offered you McDavid 1 for 1 or Toronto offered Matthews you really think the Jackets would turn that down? They would be beyond foolish to do so.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd say this is an easy yes from the Leafs perspective. Jones is a beast on D and exactly the player the Leafs need to get to the cup final. However CBJ would be dumb to do it.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs found out they are deep at LD moving forward (Rielly Dermott Rosen Borgman Sandin) because they gave Rielly tough minutes/situations and played the prospects in the NHL last year.

Why shouldn't they do the same thing on RD. Continue to play Zaitsev in tough situations/minutes and let a couple of kids play the right side this year (Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren). It is the best way to get a good cap friendly d-core.

This is the best year to shelter/develop some RD with their stacked forwards and stacked LD.

Reactions: Viqsi

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
True. Jones for Kadri & Liljegren would make more sense, but i was particularly interested in seeing if there was any chance that Werenski was more expendable, seeing as Jones is borderline untouchable.
If the Jackets weren't going to bite for Marner, I don't think they would for Kadri+Liljegren. Honestly, it might even take Marner +Liljegren... which would hurt a lot (particularly if Liljegren turns into a solid top-4 D and Marner turns into the ppg powerhouse he looks primed to be), but would be an all-in move.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Marner is my favorite player like ever, and I'm really excited to see what he could do with JT next year.... but I would do this.

One of the few D I'd trade Marner for 1f1.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
C'mon, we both know that isn't true. Theoretically, if Edmonton offered you McDavid 1 for 1 or Toronto offered Matthews you really think the Jackets would turn that down?
Yes. Absolutely, 100%, no question. Because McDavid is (and Matthews shortly will be) paid something kind of like a fair market wage and Jones is on one of the best value contracts in the League. And PLD right now is good enough that we don't have that pressing of a need for a #1C (he just might be one himself, albeit not as good as those guys), but we have nothing behind Jones in terms of good enough RHDs that provide what he does.

Reactions: Fro

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Once Matthews starts making +10M there is certainly an argument to be made that Jones is worth more at 5.4M
Honestly, I still don't think so. I think Matthews could very likely win a Hart trophy in his career, I can't see that for Jones. There is a clear quality difference there, even though Jones is really good.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Talk about a block-buster. It immediately upgrades Columbus’ offence and Toronto’s defence. It would be a painful trade for both teams but one where they are ultimately trading from an area of strength to cover an area of weakness.

What are your guys thoughts? Is this fair value going each way?

Nope. Marner is too valuable.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yes. Absolutely, 100%, no question. Because McDavid is (and Matthews shortly will be) paid something kind of like a fair market wage and Jones is on one of the best value contracts in the League. And PLD right now is good enough that we don't have that pressing of a need for a #1C (he just might be one himself, albeit not as good as those guys), but we have nothing behind Jones in terms of good enough RHDs that provide what he does.
Seriously, McDavid is the best player of this generation, by a substantial margin and he is coming off back-to-back Art Ross trophies and he is still just 21. That seems nuts not to trade anyone for him 1 for 1, to hell with the cap hit.

I think you falling into the trap of really overvaluing a guy on your team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Seriously, McDavid is the best player of this generation, by a substantial margin and he is coming off back-to-back Art Ross trophies and he is still just 21. That seems nuts not to trade anyone for him, to hell with the cap hit.
And yet his team missed the playoffs. Hockey is very much a team sport. We can approximate something kinda sorta like McDavid's role with PLD. We can't approximate a Jones replacement. And we've built our team strategies around having guys like Jones and Werenski and Nutivaara.

If we had someone like, say, a McAvoy on the way up, then it'd be just as easily a "hell yes, where do we sign". But we don't.

Reactions: Fro

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Honestly, I still don't think so. I think Matthews could very likely win a Hart trophy in his career, I can't see that for Jones. There is a clear quality difference there, even though Jones is really good.

The argument is value though. Jones will be a Norris candidate very soon and at 5.4M I see him more valuable than Matthews at 10M.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jones was I think 4th? In norris voting this year. He is already in the top level D catagory on both the offensive and defensive side and is very young and on an amazing contract. Theres maybe 5ish players in the league he would be moved for. Not a knock on Marner just not close in value. Marner is Closer to Werenski and I still dont do those straight up because Werenski is going to be elite offense soon. Look at his totals last year and then add in the fact more then half the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder. As someone who has had that injury and went monthes without having the surgery and if you lift your arm too high or the wrong way it will dislocate because the labrum is what keeps that in place.

These 2 teams are bad trade partners because you have the C depth but arent trading your top 2 and we have D depth but arent moving our top 2. So unless its Kadri and something like a murray+ or something it just doesnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad