Prospect Info: Mitch Marner - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
All I can say is Marner is lucky to have potentially two other guys to share the Toronto spotlight with him so there won't be the same kind of pressure as Vincent Damphousse or Wendel Clark experienced. Those two had the entire spotlight on them.. That is how bad our drafting was.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Cause it's the same vocal crowd who continuously push a narrative despite the lack of evidence or facts to even have a reasonable discussion.

just like the greenies and religious fanatics.......

Let's put it this way, you can't have an entire team of smurfs or they'll be physically beaten up but you need some speed and skill in the lineup to generate offense. Generally speaking the smaller players who make the NHL are usually highly skilled. The fact of the matter is that you need both to be successful with a blend of size and skill in your D and bottom 6 with emphasis on speed and skill in your top 6.

One of the reasons why smaller players historically fell in the draft was because of the common belief that they lacked the durability to handle the rigors of playing an 82 game schedule against men. Given the lengthy careers of players like Joe Sakic and Pat Verbeek I'm not sure that argument holds any water. Durability is more reflected in their injury history than in size. Joffrey Lupul is a good example of a 200lb guy who just can't stay healthy.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The average height and weight of the top 30 scorers in the NHL as of today is 6'0 and 199 lbs and I bet that has been trending down the past couple of years.

If Marner ends up anywhere between 180-190 lbs in a couple years, he'll be quite fine.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner's current issue is his weight & strength not his height.

There are not a lot of 160ish lbs players in the NHL.

6 players less than 170 have played in the NHL this year.

3 would be considered NHLers, they other 3 have combined for 12 games (3 by Leipsic).

Marner will likely put on weight, and can get stronger.

There should be little worry about Marner getting to the NHL, the only question is when, and that may be impacted on his physical maturity.

There is no rush, he's a kid.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Anyone know where I can reach a Legal stream of the game today? It's on some obscure rogers channel that I'm not subscribed to

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Marner is 18, who cares how heavy he is.

if he is still 160 lbs at age 23, then maybe we have a problem. maybe.

if he was as physically developed as McDavid or Eichel he would have been in the debate for #1 overall. Because he probably just as skilled (in an overall sense) as either of those players.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Marner is 18, who cares how heavy he is.

if he is still 160 lbs at age 23, then maybe we have a problem. maybe.

if he was as physically developed as McDavid or Eichel he would have been in the debate for #1 overall. Because he probably just as skilled (in an overall sense) as either of those players.

No debate here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
6 players less than 170 have played in the NHL this year.

3 would be considered NHLers, they other 3 have combined for 12 games (3 by Leipsic).

Marner will likely put on weight, and can get stronger.

There should be little worry about Marner getting to the NHL, the only question is when, and that may be impacted on his physical maturity.

There is no rush, he's a kid.

There are 3 main aspects to determine if a player is ready to play in the NHL.

Is he ready Mentally, Physically and does he have the Talent and Skills to compete.

Nobody questions Marner's talent/skill level as those are apparent and obvious to all that have seen him play. You don't put up 2pp average without skills.

So that leaves the other 2 components and one is also easier to determine if you step on a scale and weigh in at 160ish and you know only 3 of 800 current regular NHLers compete at that level. Marner is in complete control of this as to how much work he puts in off the ice in the gym and how focused he is on good nutrition and eating habits.

The last one is totally intangible in trying to determine if Mitch is emotionally and mentally ready for the NHL stage. Last year during the rookie training camp and exhibition games he look nervous and unsure of himself and so Marner failed 2 of the 3 requirements and was send back to junior.

How much time it will take Marner to get ready physically and mentally is the question that remains unanswered.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
There are 3 main aspects to determine if a player is ready to play in the NHL.

Is he ready Mentally, Physically and does he have the Talent and Skills to compete.

Nobody questions Marner's talent/skill level as those are apparent and obvious to all that have seen him play. You don't put up 2pp average without skills.

So that leaves the other 2 components and one is also easier to determine if you step on a scale and weigh in at 160ish and you know only 3 of 800 current regular NHLers compete at that level. Marner is in complete control of this as to how much work he puts in off the ice in the gym and how focused he is on good nutrition and eating habits.

The last one is totally intangible in trying to determine if Mitch is emotionally and mentally ready for the NHL stage. Last year during the rookie training camp and exhibition games he look nervous and unsure of himself and so Marner failed 2 of the 3 requirements and was send back to junior.

How much time it will take Marner to get ready physically and mentally is the question that remains unanswered.

He was lacing up for the first time ever for his hometown team he cheered for growing up, definitely going to be some nervousness in there.

I honestly think with that out of the way he will come to camp with a much more clear head and know what needs to be done.

I'm excited as hell to see how Marner does in the playoffs, he was absolutely spectacular in last year's playoffs before he got gooned out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Even if Marner doesn't make the Leafs next year, who cares. The key is Marner making the Leafs down the line and becoming one of the greats in the game. Having said that, I can see a lot of people will be calling him bust if he doesn't make the Leafs next yr.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He was lacing up for the first time ever for his hometown team he cheered for growing up, definitely going to be some nervousness in there.

I honestly think with that out of the way he will come to camp with a much more clear head and know what needs to be done.

I'm excited as hell to see how Marner does in the playoffs, he was absolutely spectacular in last year's playoffs before he got gooned out.

Yep, he'll be more mature mentally and that should help.

Getting gooned out won't end when he's in the NHL, but he'll be better prepared for it after experiencing it in junior.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
What's the over under on him playing for the leafs next year?
Since he can't be sent to the ahl and he is already toying with the ohl what option is left? Europe?

Doubt it.
If we have one of the best coaches in the world how wouldn't a year of sheltered minutes help him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What's the over under on him playing for the leafs next year?
Since he can't be sent to the ahl and he is already toying with the ohl what option is left? Europe?

Doubt it.
If we have one of the best coaches in the world how wouldn't a year of sheltered minutes help him.

I assume he gets the 9 games next year and then a decision is made, whether he is physically strong enough to stay.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Not that it matters but fairly certain Mitch will get that assist in Peterborough. On London's 2nd goal Dvo picked up the pick and there's no other conceivable milestone other than Mitch's 100th point the puck would have been picked up for.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Not that it matters but fairly certain Mitch will get that assist in Peterborough. On London's 2nd goal Dvo picked up the pick and there's no other conceivable milestone other than Mitch's 100th point the puck would have been picked up for.

You mean Ottawa?

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
No, the goal in Peterborough.

London's 2nd goal this game is Mitch's 99th point per the OHL website. However including the one in Peterborough, it would be his 100th. The puck was picked up for the 2nd goal in today's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad