Prospect Info: Mitch Marner - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

Going to finish over 2PPG in back to back years barring a big slump.

Just incredible.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This ******** again? What is it with these dinosaurs and never letting go of the "old NHL", times have changed.

Johnny Gaudreau is 5'8". I'm guessing you wouldn't want him on your team either right? I mean who wants a PPG winger? It's all about that size, grit and truculence......:shakehead

You sound like Burke ffs and look where that got us.

I suggest you look at the 2 Stanley Cup finalists last year. Tampa Bay and Chicago. Those are not big teams.

Skill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Size every damn day of the week.

Patrice Bergeron - 6'1" 195 pounds
William Nylander - 6'0" 190 pounds

It seems like you disagree with yourself there....

Gaudreau is the exception, not the rule. Same with Kane.

Size + skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skill

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
How much of an impact can an undersized player really have, unless your Patrick Kane? Is there another that is a building block for another team that you can realistically see being the cornerstone of a Stanley Cup contender? It seems like these undersized players can be a great #2 or #3, but I don't think any team is winning anything if your best player is undersized. Just hasn't really happened, has it?

Chicago Blackhawks:

Duncan Keith : 6'1" 192
Patrick Kane : 5'11" 175

This size debate is never going to end is it? :laugh:

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
This ******** again? What is it with these dinosaurs and never letting go of the "old NHL", times have changed.

Johnny Gaudreau is 5'8". I'm guessing you wouldn't want him on your team either right? I mean who wants a PPG winger? It's all about that size, grit and truculence......:shakehead

You sound like Burke ffs and look where that got us.

I suggest you look at the 2 Stanley Cup finalists last year. Tampa Bay and Chicago. Those are not big teams.

Skill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Size every damn day of the week.

Patrice Bergeron - 6'1" 195 pounds
William Nylander - 6'0" 190 pounds

It seems like you disagree with yourself there....

Where did I say that undersized players can't succeed in the NHL? Where did I say that I wouldn't want an undersized player on my team? Nowhere did I say such a thing. Your not paying attention to my argument-- that an undersized player cannot be the best player and win a cup. Even Kane, arguably one of the best undersized player to ever play, needs Toews in order to win. These players need to be insulated by other bigger, stronger, players. A team full of smurfs isn't winning anything. That's just a fact.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Where did I say that undersized players can't succeed in the NHL? Where did I say that I wouldn't want an undersized player on my team? Nowhere did I say such a thing. Your not paying attention to my argument-- that an undersized player cannot be the best player and win a cup. Even Kane, arguably one of the best undersized player to ever play, needs Toews in order to win. These players need to be insulated by other bigger, stronger, players. A team full of smurfs isn't winning anything. That's just a fact.
Yea no **** Sherlock, the rebuild isn't over today...

Evileye

Jul 20, 2002
Visit site

Just for fun I came up with an all smurf team from the last 30 years or so...
Would this team of smurfs be any good?
Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Brad Marchand, Mike Cammaleri, Martin St.Louis, Denis Savard, Theoren Fleury, Marcel Dionne, Pat Verbeek, Brian Gionta, Steve Thomas, Steve Sullivan
Kimmo Timmonen, Brian Rafalski, Tobias Enstrom, Torey Krug, Tyson Barrie, Phil Housley

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Brad Marchand, Mike Cammaleri, Martin St.Louis, Denis Savard, Theoren Fleury, Marcel Dionne, Pat Verbeek, Brian Gionta, Steve Thomas, Steve Sullivan
Kimmo Timmonen, Brian Rafalski, Tobias Enstrom, Torey Krug, Tyson Barrie, Phil Housley

That team proves that really successful small players are not particularly common, doesn't it?

Evileye

Jul 20, 2002
Visit site
That team proves that really successful small players are not particularly common, doesn't it?

There are plenty more, that's just what I came up with thinking about it for about 5 minutes.
I'm sure one of the main boards has done a list of best players 5'10 and under.
I would only be interested in 80's onward only. A lot of players from the early 70's on back were small.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009

Are we making all star teams of the greatest players of all time right now? We can't be sure because you just put Marcel Dionne and Denis Savard with Tyson Barrie and Torey Krug.. Do you really think that team would beat a lineup of the greatest players over 6 feet tall in today's NHL game? I have no idea what your trying to argue right now but let's just agree to disagree.

Evileye

Jul 20, 2002
Visit site
Are we making all star teams of the greatest players of all time right now? We can't be sure because you just put Marcel Dionne and Denis Savard with Tyson Barrie and Torey Krug.. Do you really think that team would beat a lineup of the greatest players over 6 feet tall in today's NHL game? I have no idea what your trying to argue right now but let's just agree to disagree.

Not trying to argue anything, just made a list of small players off the top of my head for fun.
A statement was made that a team full of small players would not win, but if they had the skill of the list I came up with, they would. Yes its an extreme list from all of the place, but just having a discussion...

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
weren't Sakic(commesurate winner) and paul kariya (prolific scorer) both well under 6 feet?

Nylander is not even undersized he's 6'0 190 lbs thats actually really good for a center and he has speed skill and instincts in spades.

For what its worth I think Nylander will be a ppg center and a superstar for the leafs and I think he is our best prospect but I also think Marner has a chance to top out with higher numbers.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Not trying to argue anything, just made a list of small players off the top of my head for fun.
A statement was made that a team full of small players would not win, but if they had the skill of the list I came up with, they would. Yes its an extreme list from all of the place, but just having a discussion...

Your example is flawed, and kind of rediculous.

It was a waste of my time to read it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
weren't Sakic(commesurate winner) and paul kariya (prolific scorer) both well under 6 feet?

Nylander is not even undersized he's 6'0 190 lbs thats actually really good for a center and he has speed skill and instincts in spades.

For what its worth I think Nylander will be a ppg center and a superstar for the leafs and I think he is our best prospect but I also think Marner has a chance to top out with higher numbers.

People grossly over exaggerate the impact of 1-2 inches in terms of height.

Ie a 6'1 guy really doesn't have that much of an advantage over someone whose 5'11.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Ie a 6'1 guy really doesn't have that much of an advantage over someone whose 5'11.

none ....its albout balance and agility ,lower core strength is important now ,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Marner's current issue is his weight & strength not his height.

There are not a lot of 160ish lbs players in the NHL.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I don't think Marner has any issues that are immediate problems. This season has been great for his progression. He's still only 18 and has an entire summer to prepare himself for camp. To expect prospects to develop over night isn't realistic, we know what we drafted and there's going to be a development path. So far so good.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Except, they don't even play together, so this is pretty much moot point. You need other good players to win, not someone who is taller then 6'1 lol. Hawks core is pretty tiny outside of Toews, I'm not sure what you are going on about.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Can't we yap about something else than size?
Same old story different year. Getting pretty old at this point.

Cause it's the same vocal crowd who continuously push a narrative despite the lack of evidence or facts to even have a reasonable discussion.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Marner's current issue is his weight & strength not his height.

There are not a lot of 160ish lbs players in the NHL.

Now that is a valid point. Marner is tall enough for the NHL, just needs to fill out and get stronger which takes time. He's not going to get to 190lbs in one off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad