Confirmed with Link: Mitch Marner Discussion Thread II - First Team All-Star

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I didn't misinterpret anything. The original analogy did not work. My analogy does work, and I very specifically explained to you how it applies.

"X point player" is generally considered to be the amount of points one can reasonably be expected to put up in an 82 game season. Marner is a 100+ point player. To say otherwise would be incorrectly representing his offensive capabilities.

You quite literally can. People do it all the time. It's in fact more accurate in a situation like this.
Well people that do it are simply wrong.
70% of Russians think Putin is right in murdering the Ukraine……does that make it right?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Many called Kessel a 40 goal scorer but he has never scored 40 once in his career. Is he a 40 goal scorer ?
Kessel never had a season where he even paced for 40 goals so obviously no. Marner played at a 110 point pace this season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kessel never had a season where he even paced for 40 goals so obviously no. Marner played at a 110 point pace this season.

Scored 36 in 70 games in 2nd year as a Bruin. That is 42 goal pace. Scored 37 goals twice in his career.

I'd say he was pretty close to being a 40 goal man, but he never hit 40.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Did he actually get 110……no so it never existed.
on pace for is meaningless at the end of the day. It’s what actually happens that is real

I am a 200 point poster.
200 point poser? Lol

Wendel had 46 goals in 64 games. That's 59 goals in an 82 game season. And why not just give him that 1 extra goal am I right?
Hell if you are giving him 1 extra why not make it 6 or 7 extra

Reactions: socko

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
97 in 71 is 100 point winger

He's in the range of wingers who can put a 100 pts in a year

Panarin, Pasta, Kaprizov, Huberdeau, Gaudreau, Kuch, Kane, rantanen, Marchand are the others who I expect to be capable of getting 100 pts if they're healthy in a year

No one is a 100 point Winger until they actually score 100 points.

He's actually a 110 point winger, and even that is undervaluing his offensive impact due to his low PP time, and not even mentioning his defensive and PK impact.

Nah.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I was pretty down on Mitch after the Montreal series but he proved this year he has another level. He had a great season. His second half was ridiculous and he pretty much stopped making forced plays. His D was awesome.

I really think he could win an Art Ross.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
It goes without saying that we also have a large faction of folks who live solely in the past. Witness talk about a Dave Gagner trade at a time when the league still used wooden sticks and some players played without helmets, in a thread that is supposed to be celebrating the accomplishments of our 1st team all-star winger, who probably wasn't even born when that trade was completed.

Sheesh
I brought up that trade as a counter to people who want to trade Marner for a "player more likely to produce in the playoffs", because the excuse for that terrible trade was "Gagner is an experienced veteran who will produce for us in the playoffs!", and he never did.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I brought up that trade as a counter to people who want to trade Marner for a "player more likely to produce in the playoffs", because the excuse for that terrible trade was "Gagner is an experienced veteran who will produce for us in the playoffs!", and he never did.
Wasn't a knock against you or the point you were making. My point was that every discussion somehow always seems to devolve down to ridiculous and unrelated depths, eventually landing squarely on the crossroads of Recrimination and Regret with only negativity as a traveling companion.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Did he actually get 110……no so it never existed.
on pace for is meaningless at the end of the day. It’s what actually happens that is real

200 point poser? Lol

Hell if you are giving him 1 extra why not make it 6 or 7 extra
Meaningless? Which player would you rather have the guy that got 110 points or the guy that was pacing for 200 but got injured after game 41 and only ended up with 100?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Meaningless? Which player would you rather have the guy that got 110 points or the guy that was pacing for 200 but got injured after game 41 and only ended up with 100?
Which player got 100 points in 41 games?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The debate wasn’t really about Mitch Marner.

Discussions about what the Maple Leafs should do with the No. 4 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft were more philosophical in nature, according to Mark Hunter, who oversaw the draft then as the team’s director of player personnel.

Namely, should the Leafs, in the earliest stages of a rebuild, pick another forward, or try to land a potential stud on defence?

“It was more debate about position,” Hunter told The Athletic. “Everybody liked Mitch.”

It’s been seven years since the Leafs ultimately went with Marner from the London Knights. Now 25, Marner was recently named the NHL’s top right winger for the second year in a row, becoming the first Maple Leaf since Tim Horton in the late 1960s to earn a first-team All-Star nod in back-to-back seasons.

The Leafs would look a lot different right now had Hunter not gotten his way and gone with Marner. At least one very powerful voice in the organization believed they needed to at least consider a foundational piece on the back end with the pick.

“I don’t want to throw (Mike) Babcock under the bus. I have no beef with him at all,” Hunter says of Babcock, who had signed an eight-year contract to become the Leafs head coach five weeks before the 2015 draft. “But he was just saying, if there was a star defenceman there (at No. 4), we really gotta consider taking that star defenceman instead of a forward.”

It wasn’t an unreasonable thought.

The Leafs discussed Noah Hanifin and Ivan Provorov, Babcock recalled in an email to The Athletic. But in the end, Hunter knew best, Babcock said. He’d seen everyone, knew Marner’s “drive train” and skill set and ultimately made a “great call.”

Hunter knew Marner better than just about anyone else. He was the Knights’ general manager – and part of the ownership group – when the club selected Marner with the 19th pick at the 2013 OHL draft. He witnessed Marner’s impressive rookie year in London (59 points in 64 games) not long before he joined the Leafs’ management team in 2014. Everyone could see the skill. Hunter knew better than most how Marner was built. He knew his makeup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Busher

Busher

May 17, 2021

The debate wasn’t really about Mitch Marner.

Discussions about what the Maple Leafs should do with the No. 4 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft were more philosophical in nature, according to Mark Hunter, who oversaw the draft then as the team’s director of player personnel.

Namely, should the Leafs, in the earliest stages of a rebuild, pick another forward, or try to land a potential stud on defence?

“It was more debate about position,” Hunter told The Athletic. “Everybody liked Mitch.”

It’s been seven years since the Leafs ultimately went with Marner from the London Knights. Now 25, Marner was recently named the NHL’s top right winger for the second year in a row, becoming the first Maple Leaf since Tim Horton in the late 1960s to earn a first-team All-Star nod in back-to-back seasons.

The Leafs would look a lot different right now had Hunter not gotten his way and gone with Marner. At least one very powerful voice in the organization believed they needed to at least consider a foundational piece on the back end with the pick.

“I don’t want to throw (Mike) Babcock under the bus. I have no beef with him at all,” Hunter says of Babcock, who had signed an eight-year contract to become the Leafs head coach five weeks before the 2015 draft. “But he was just saying, if there was a star defenceman there (at No. 4), we really gotta consider taking that star defenceman instead of a forward.”

It wasn’t an unreasonable thought.

The Leafs discussed Noah Hanifin and Ivan Provorov, Babcock recalled in an email to The Athletic. But in the end, Hunter knew best, Babcock said. He’d seen everyone, knew Marner’s “drive train” and skill set and ultimately made a “great call.”

Hunter knew Marner better than just about anyone else. He was the Knights’ general manager – and part of the ownership group – when the club selected Marner with the 19th pick at the 2013 OHL draft. He witnessed Marner’s impressive rookie year in London (59 points in 64 games) not long before he joined the Leafs’ management team in 2014. Everyone could see the skill. Hunter knew better than most how Marner was built. He knew his makeup.

One of the greatest strokes of luck (and good drafting) that we ended up with Marner when he could just as easily have gone to Arizona at #3, or we could have decided on Hanifin or Provorov outright over Marner. Marner is trending to be the 2nd greatest Leaf draft pick of all time.

This was by no means a gimme the way Matthews was a year later, so credit to Hunter for making what today seems the obvious right choice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One of the greatest strokes of luck (and good drafting) that we ended up with Marner when he could just as easily have gone to Arizona at #3, or we could have decided on Hanifin or Provorov outright over Marner. Marner is trending to be the 2nd greatest Leaf draft pick of all time.

This was by no means a gimme the way Matthews was a year later, so credit to Hunter for making what today seems the obvious right choice.
Believe it or not but Hunter had Marner ranked 2nd over Eichel. He had Provorov as the highest rated defense man.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The 2022 NHL Draft didn't go as planned for Shane Wright, who fell to the Seattle Kraken at fourth overall after being considered a consensus first pick for the past several years. The Montreal Canadiens opted to go for Juraj Slafkovsky with the top selection, then the New Jersey Devils and Arizona Coyotes decided to pass on Wright, too.

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mitch Marner knows a thing or two about being drafted with the fourth pick, so he reached out to Wright on draft night to offer some words of encouragement.

"I think everyone could see there was a little bit of frustration in him," Marner told reporters this week at the Zach Hyman Celebrity Classic golf tournament in Toronto. "I just wanted to text him saying fourth is a nice pick and there's nothing wrong with going fourth."

There certainly isn't anything wrong with being drafted in that spot, as Hall of Famers Ron Francis (1981), Steve Yzerman (1983), Paul Kariya (1993) and Roberto Luongo (1997) all went fourth overall. More recent stars to hold the distinction include Seth Jones (2013), Marner (2015), Cale Makar (2017) and Brady Tkachuk (2018).

Wright will surely be pleased if he can follow in those footsteps. Each of Jones, Marner, Makar and Tkachuk have enjoyed tremendous success and have already cashed in with massive contracts that pay at least $8 million per season.

Marner doesn't know Wright very well, but says he has been impressed by his work ethic and attitude both on and off the ice. The Leafs star thinks Seattle's new franchise cornerstone can make the most of his draft snub by using it as motivation.

"Now it's an exciting opportunity for him to be able to prove himself in the NHL," Marner said. "He's going to be working hard to try and prove that some teams made the wrong move. That's how it goes sometimes."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad