Confirmed with Link: Mitch Marner Discussion Thread II - First Team All-Star

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Best vision I've seen in a Leafs jersey, he is Gretzkyesque in his ability to find teammates (if only he could find Waynes competitiveness on the ice). His recent conscious decision to shoot the puck more and hang on less can probably add 10-15 points a year. Very dangerous Penalty Killer that other teams have to plan for that in and of itself, can hamper their approach.

Lacks focus at times on the defensive end and dangles too much at the opposition blue line when the simple play is more prudent than an East/West play. When room on the ice disappears, does he?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Best vision I've seen in a Leafs jersey, he is Gretzkyesque in his ability to find teammates (if only he could find Waynes competitiveness on the ice). His recent conscious decision to shoot the puck more and hang on less can probably add 10-15 points a year. Very dangerous Penalty Killer that other teams have to plan for that in and of itself, can hamper their approach.

Lacks focus at times on the defensive end and dangles too much at the opposition blue line when the simple play is more prudent than an East/West play. When room on the ice disappears, does he?

Seems like a good summary. The only knock on him is lack of production in the last 3 playoffs, other than that the kid is gold.

Shooting more is definitely a good development. His shot has been made fun of a lot but it's really not that bad and he's scored enough recently that there shouldn't be any more questions about his ability to score IMO. Good that you mentioned penalty killing, I think that's my favourite time to watch him, he's maybe the best penalty killer I've ever seen on the Leafs, just a joy to watch.

My favourite player used to be Kadri, then soon after Marner arrived he became my favourite. I soured on him a bit at some point and I guess I'm at the point where I don't have a favourite player any more. We have a number of players I like, if I had to pick one it would probably be Rielly but Marner's still right up there as well.

Shine in the playoffs Mitch and everyone will love you again, I guarantee it!

Reactions: Gabriel426

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Excellent player and excellent draft choice but the contract eliminated our chances to win a cup with this group. We gave him a contract that teams offersheeting him weren't even gonna give him. In fact had he actually had an offer for more, we definitely would have been told of it by him and his agent and that never happened. It's unfortunate... but you have a choice to make, do you want to see your team win a cup or so you want to watch an exciting offensive player? I choose cup.

It isn't gonna happen unless the cap goes up significantly and at that time Tavares' contract will hang us.... we are just in a bad state unfortunately. We needed excess money at the beginning of Tavares contract, not the end.

I don't blame the player, but i dont see a stanley cup team with the way we have managed the cap.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The media have been discussing Jason Robertson’s contract and apparently his agent is gonna push to use Marner’s contract as a comparable but they likely won’t be able to because Marner’s contract is viewed as an “outlier”. I remember Bob McKenzie saying the same thing about Marner’s contract a few years ago. Can someone help me out here and explain to me why our GM is giving our players outlier contracts?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The media have been discussing Jason Robertson’s contract and apparently his agent is gonna push to use Marner’s contract as a comparable but they likely won’t be able to because Marner’s contract is viewed as an “outlier”. I remember Bob McKenzie saying the same thing about Marner’s contract a few years ago. Can someone help me out here and explain to me why our GM is giving our players outlier contracts?
That should go in the Dubas complaint thread.
This thread is reserved to whine about Marners past playoff failure.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Can someone help me out here and explain to me why our GM is giving our players outlier contracts?
He's not. Hockey media is just largely pretty stupid, and either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're pretending to not know what they're talking about to generate views.

Reactions: Auston 316

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He's not. Hockey media is just largely pretty stupid, and either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're pretending to not know what they're talking about to generate views.
I respect Bob McKenzie and think he’s pretty reliable.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I respect Bob McKenzie and think he’s pretty reliable.
That's nice. I like Bob McKenzie too. That doesn't change the fact that he's wrong sometimes. If he's saying Marner's an outlier, he's factually wrong.

I haven't actually seen Bob McKenzie talk about Robertson's impending contract anywhere, but regardless, let's wait to see what Robertson actually gets. Or better yet, just enjoy the amazing player we have.

Reactions: authentic

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He's grown into his contract.

He could have saved himself some grief and got here sooner if he took a little less.

We'll see what happens on his next deal.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
That's nice. I like Bob McKenzie too. That doesn't change the fact that he's wrong sometimes. If he's saying Marner's an outlier, he's factually wrong.

I haven't actually seen Bob McKenzie talk about Robertson's impending contract anywhere, but regardless, let's wait to see what Robertson actually gets. Or better yet, just enjoy the amazing player we have.
Maybe your right and Bob McKenzie and those other media members are lying about their inside information. Maybe Robertson will be the first guy to finally get that Mitch Marner money that has eluded all the other superstars in the league.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's grown into his contract.

He could have saved himself some grief and got here sooner if he took a little less.

We'll see what happens on his next deal.

Depends on your POV. If producing during the regular season is enough to make you happy, then sure. If you're looking for someone who can produce in the playoffs, then not yet he hasn't.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Maybe your right and Bob McKenzie and those other media members are lying about their inside information. Maybe Robertson will be the first guy to finally get that Mitch Marner money that has eluded all the other superstars in the league.

I would imagine Robertson gets signed at covid flat cap comparables, not comparables from a league that was raising the cap by 3-5 million a year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Maybe your right and Bob McKenzie and those other media members are lying about their inside information.
"Bob McKenzie and other media members" haven't brought "inside information" that says what you're suggesting, and one doesn't necessarily need to be lying to be wrong anyway.
Maybe Robertson will be the first guy to finally get that Mitch Marner money that has eluded all the other superstars in the league.
The only "superstars" who were unable to get a Marner-level contract were players that were worse than Marner. If Robertson does get a Marner-level post-ELC contract, he wouldn't be the first. 9 forwards (including 5 wingers) have received even higher value post-ELC contracts than Marner.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Super complete player and one of the bargains in the 10 million+ club.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-08-at-10.42.14-AM.png

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Excellent player and excellent draft choice but the contract eliminated our chances to win a cup with this group. We gave him a contract that teams offersheeting him weren't even gonna give him. In fact had he actually had an offer for more, we definitely would have been told of it by him and his agent and that never happened. It's unfortunate... but you have a choice to make, do you want to see your team win a cup or so you want to watch an exciting offensive player? I choose cup.

It isn't gonna happen unless the cap goes up significantly and at that time Tavares' contract will hang us.... we are just in a bad state unfortunately. We needed excess money at the beginning of Tavares contract, not the end.

I don't blame the player, but i dont see a stanley cup team with the way we have managed the cap.

Both is not an option? Strange.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, both seems to be the obvious answer. It's actually more of a both or neither question than it is a one or the other question, since having Marner increases our cup chances.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How has that been going so far? Two upsets in the first round since his contract was signed. No cap space to shore up holes like our goaltending. Easy to say why can't we have both without sticking your neck out and making a prediction because generally people don't go back in time and recover these old threads.

No team has won a cup with an 11 million dollar player on the roster, we have three.

Also Chicago won 2 Stanley Cups after Kane and Toews signed their first post ELC contracts, both were under 11% of the cap percentage. When they signed their second ELC contracts and their percentages shot up, Chicago have won 2 (or 3) playoff games since. They had to try to get creative with their cap and moved quality players for less expensive players and eventually their team was not good. We have seen a similar process here. We essentially skipped that important first post elc contract and went straight to UFA contracts. Dubas is just as much to blame as Marner but Marner also went above and beyond other player holdout methods. Scary part is Marner came down from his contract expectations to come to this deal. As Marner stated, he called Dubas up and said let's compromise and get this done. HE WANTED AN EVEN better deal!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Depends on your POV. If producing during the regular season is enough to make you happy, then sure. If you're looking for someone who can produce in the playoffs, then not yet he hasn't.

No offense but does repeating this over and over help you sleep at night?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad