Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This 11M stuff is pretty hilarious.

Why is it hilarious ? Matthews got more than 11M per season for 5 years. That's huge when you consider even JT got less as a UFA.
Sure Matthews is exceptional, but when it comes to contract negotiations, its far from being the biggest part of the total pie.

Marner isn't the only RFA having an amazing season.. Rantanen, Aho, Point just to name a few. Marner will sign for around 10 m anything more is an overpayment for a winger.

Sure there are other RFA's with amazing seasons. And yes, every agent and player will look at what their pairs got. But there is 30 GM's out there who can say their name isn't Kyle Dubas. Marner on the other hand, will just point fingers at JT and Matthews and heck even Nylander and will say, on the score-sheet I'm better than any of them.

I would be very surprised if he signs them, he wants to be a Leaf.

The point of OS a player isn't to give him $10,01M while his current team has a $10M offer on the table. When offer sheeting, you do overpay but that's what makes it attractive for the player signing it. If someone offers him 12M, pretty sure he thinks hard about it.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Don't love some of Marchand's antics on the ice but nice to see some personality every now and then. Was all in good fun

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marchand sticking his nose in other peoples business!? Maybe he will lick and seal the envelope for Marners contract too!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The point of OS a player isn't to give him $10,01M while his current team has a $10M offer on the table. When offer sheeting, you do overpay but that's what makes it attractive for the player signing it. If someone offers him 12M, pretty sure he thinks hard about it.

Yes but I don't think he will sign it, out of all of Toronto's young core he's the one the most attached to the team and city. I don't think he'll sign a steal of a contract but I highly doubt he signs an offer sheet hoping for the Leafs to match.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
At this point I think it’s a foregone conclusion he’s going to get at least $10 million on a new deal. Yeah he’s a winger, but he’s going to hit 100 points and he’s a primary offensive driver.

I don’t think he’ll get $11 million but who knows.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
11 mill per atleast. The kid is a ridiculous talent and with JT and AM making that cash, he will too no doubt about it.

He will be leading the Leafs in scoring from this point on and will get paid for it

Im gonna say matching contract to AM.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
11 mill per atleast. The kid is a ridiculous talent and with JT and AM making that cash, he will too no doubt about it.

He will be leading the Leafs in scoring from this point on and will get paid for it

Im gonna say matching contract to AM.

This is the danger of negotiating with a player playing on an offensively deep team. Marner's agent Ferris and inner circle were smart to bet on Marner having a good year. He's going to get paid. 10M+++. Where ever it stops no one knows?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This is the danger of negotiating with a player playing on an offensively deep team. Marner's agent Ferris and inner circle were smart to bet on Marner having a good year. He's going to get paid. 10+++. Where ever it stops no one knows?

Plus when hes on a team where they pay their #1 center and #2 center 11 mill each, you can count on them having to pay their best winger/player and leading scorer that much too.... Easily

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Plus when hes on a team where they pay their #1 center and #2 center 11 mill each, you can count on them having to pay their best winger/player and leading scorer that much too.... Easily

The Tavares signing just added to Marner's tab. Every point added, you can hear the cash register ringing. You can bet the Leafs would like a redo from last summer when it was reported they had the chance to sign him at 9M per.

It's the danger of negotiating with players on high scoring teams.
$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Anything over 8 would be overpayment. Even accounting for the extra 1 million Toronto tax, 9 million AAV sounds about right. Marner's agent deserves standing ovation if he manages to swindle >10 million for 8 years.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Anything over 8 would be overpayment. Even accounting for the extra 1 million Toronto tax, 9 million AAV sounds about right. Marner's agent deserves standing ovation if he manages to swindle >10 million for 8 years.

Anyone who thinks he’s getting 8 or less million per year on a long term deal is dreaming.......the kid will get paid big time.

Reactions: skyo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone who thinks he’s getting 8 or less million per year on a long term deal is dreaming.......the kid will get paid big time.

I agree. No chance. The Leafs for some reason didn't work harder as reported on a 9M x 8 year contract before the season opened. Now that genie has left the bottle. 10-11 or even more for Marner most likely.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Do you really believe this? When Mark Stone just got 8 x 9.5 and Toronto just gave a much older player 7 x 11, that over 8 million is an "overpayment?"

Sorry but unless he REALLY wants to remain with the Leafs, which is possible given that they seem to be set up to be a contender for the enxt while, he will likely make the max possible contract in the "2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd" bracket of offer sheet compensation at the very minimum, and 10.5-11.5 million as a mazimum. And that would be fair for, in my possibly wrong opinion considering I've seen at most a dozen Leafs games this year, their best player.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree. No chance. The Leafs for some reason didn't work harder as reported on a 9M x 8 year contract before the season opened. Now that genie has left the bottle. 10-11 or even more for Marner most likely.

Not sure his final number......but it’s going to be a lot closer to 10 million then it is to 8 million.

Reactions: skyo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stone's deal would've been north of 10 anywhere in Canada.

9.5 is the price for Vegas because of the no state tax.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Tavares signing just added to Marner's tab. Every point added, you can hear the cash register ringing. You can bet the Leafs would like a redo from last summer when it was reported they had the chance to sign him at 9M per.

It's the danger of negotiating with players on high scoring teams.
$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

There's no way his ask isn't going be $10+ then now, now we know the cap is going up again and his stock has boomed considerably and he has a higher PPG than Matthews who just got 11.6 for only five years. There's so much more in favor of the Marner camp now.

My guess is the Leafs will have a choice of $10.6 for 5 years (agent will not accept too much of a gap between Marner and Matthews) or 12x8.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Do you really believe this? When Mark Stone just got 8 x 9.5 and Toronto just gave a much older player 7 x 11, that over 8 million is an "overpayment?"

There's no precedent giving scoring wingers that kind of money coming off their ELC. Even if we take the ole' percentage of the cap comparison, Patty Kane got 11% after scoring 88 points. Today's comparable deal would be 9 million for 5 years. That is, if we think he's as good as Kane is.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I've only seen 5 or so leaf games this year, but in every one of them Marner was their best player.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
An honest question: why would Marner take a penny less than Matthews?

Beats me. Loyalty, maybe?

He's already scored more points than Matthews ever has, in any season, and will most likely be the first between the two of them to crack 100 points if he keeps up his pace this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad