Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The NHL is a "What have you done for me lately" run league.

That's the exact reason why Zaitsev can't be traded cause he's been awful for at least a full year.

Nylander was good last year, and he's been mediocre this year.

Why would a GM give you a good top3D on a good contract that's been performing very well the last couple of years for a winger that has been underperforming ever since the beginning of the season / when he signed AND who's paif 7M$ a year.

Until Nylander proves he can pick the pace up, he's not worth Pesce.
Was and is worth more than Pesce.

Reactions: TML1990

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Nylander doesn't get you Pesche w/out a significant add...

7M$ for that kind of offensive produciton is NOT good

AND, BTW, Gardiner isn't a Leaf next year. They won't be able to sign him. He'll get easily 6/7 on the open market, why sign for 4-5 @ Toronto?

On July 2, Nylander's remaining money out is ~$4.5m a year for 5 years, as compared to Pesce at ~$4.0m a year for 5 years.

That's an absolute no brainer for the Hurricanes who are desperate for somebody with the immediate upside to be effective at the top of their lineup, and have a plethora of depth on the blueline. They don't sniff a player like Nylander with Pesce if not for Toronto's cap issues, and certainly not with so little money left over a 5 year term -- it has realistic potential to be Hall-Larsson all over again.

As for his down year, most GMs can see that starting the year 2 months late did him absolutely no favours. Maybe the deal ends up being a little less added on top of Pesce, but this is still the obvious basis for a trade; especially with the emergence of Kapanen and Johnsson.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This is literally the exact same argument that a lot of fans had as to why Matthews would make less on an 8 year deal than Tavares.
I'd say this season has shown that Matthew's is better than Tavares. He has been a goal scoring bandit with linemates that are sub par (geriatric Marleau, and 1st year guys like Kapannen/Johnson) vs Tavares having Marner.

I'd say Marner is arguably around the same overal value (better playmaker, not as good a scorer, and not as good a defensive asset vs Stone) but he has more 'game breaking' ability. So I see them being close in value contract wise. Some of Stone contract is buying some traditionally less productive years (32-34 are not bad, but usually after peak) but he was a UFA.

I dunno, we can speculate all day (day HFBoards!) BUT imo this contract leads me to believe Marner is closer to a sub 10m guy than being a 10+m guy on his next deal.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'd say this season has shown that Matthew's is better than Tavares. He has been a goal scoring bandit with linemates that are sub par (geriatric Marleau, and 1st year guys like Kapannen/Johnson) vs Tavares having Marner.

I'd say Marner is arguably around the same overal value (better playmaker, not as good a scorer, and not as good a defensive asset vs Stone) but he has more 'game breaking' ability. So I see them being close in value contract wise. Some of Stone contract is buying some traditionally less productive years (32-34 are not bad, but usually after peak) but he was a UFA.

I dunno, we can speculate all day (day HFBoards!) BUT imo this contract leads me to believe Marner is closer to a sub 10m guy than being a 10+m guy on his next deal.

You could be right, though I’m not holding my breathe, and those comments a lot of fans made about Matthews getting less or equal to Tavares on a long term deal were also made this year with the production he’s having, so that’s a bit of a moot point. Stone is a reasonable comparable, one the leafs will be using 100% it’ll be an interesting one for sure

Jul 10, 2003
KW

That's the exact reason why Zaitsev can't be traded cause he's been awful for at least a full year.

Why would a GM give you a good top3D on a good contract that's been performing very well the last couple of years for a winger that has been underperforming ever since the beginning of the season / when he signed AND who's paif 7M$ a year.

The Zaitsev situation isn't the same at all.

Have you watched a Leaf game lately? Because Nylander has looked like his old self the last several weeks. GM's wont be too concerned about his play coming off a long layoff, they will be focused on how he performs moving forward, and based on how he's looked lately your assessment couldn't be more far off.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Pick up the pace as in 13 Pts in his last 16 GP while playing 15 minutes per game or less most nights?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Watch a game, Nylander has been excellent for more than a few weeks now.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Marner for some reason reminds me of mr fantastic, so smart on the ice and he can pass and shoot in weird positons and make it look so easy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So, Eichel $10m, therefore Marner $10.5? Maybe.

Honestly, I see him near 11 somewhere.
10.75, 10.9.

You can't blame the kid for cashing out; his two teammates, who's he's been consistently better than, will be making over 11 for the next half decade +.

Honestly this is the year for GM's to take that RFA offer-sheet to market. There's a tonne of young talent available all over the market, with teams that are unable to really afford paying all of them... along with a number of teams that have cap space to burn (under 55M with no major RFA's requiring huge contracts), along with not being truly in a 'rebuild', and able to afford some picks for a quality piece.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Haha! Your player is playing well enough to earn a large cap hit! Suck on it, losers! - Hf
It means less cap flexibility. It does create a headache making the numbers work.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Based on what Ferris said about Marner already has given the Leafs a team discount, and no one else is on the Nylander and Matthews contracts. I would say speculation on 10-11M per is realistic based on how Dubas has negotiated if it is a 5-6 year deal.

But he hasn't.

/end

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Marner isn't the only RFA having an amazing season.. Rantanen, Aho, Point just to name a few. Marner will sign for around 10 m anything more is an overpayment for a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad