Mississauga Steelheads to relocate to Brampton

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
If I am not mistaken the arena was the concern in Belleville's departure. Pretty sure if either Belleville or Cornwall got their arena's up to snuff (or another city), they could pry the team away from Brampton in a heartbeat
Belleville has an AHL franchise so it can't be that bad of a venue although i've admittedly never seen it... but you can't have an OHL team and an AHL team in such a small town either.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Geography screws Thunder Bay. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

The best comparison would be the ECHL’s Newfoundland Growlers. Visiting teams are flown in and they play three game sets in three or four nights. I think the Growlers have to subsidize some of the visiting teams’ travel costs.

You can get away with that in a pro league of adults but in a league where most if not all the players are student athletes, it would be a tough haul. St.John’s found that out with their short lived QMJHL team and Thunder Bay would as well.

Talk about your “have not” team where you’d have a ton of trouble getting players to report to. Every player with leverage would have them on top of their list of teams they wouldn’t report to.

I've heard a lot of good about TB as a hockey town so, if they ever did get a junior team, I'd report if I was a player. The biggest issue would be the financial issues with the team. They would have to pull the "bring in Windsor for two-game weekends" routine, like OS/Erie do (or have done in the past). I'm not sure it's worth it for the league or for any investors up there.
Belleville has an AHL franchise so it can't be that bad.

They're averaging around 2,500-2,700 over the last two seasons when the arena capacity is 4,500ish.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
belleville sens should play in hamilton... bulldogs should stay permanently in brantford. brampton/missy should relocate to belleville.

Reactions: SSMHoundsFan

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I've heard a lot of good about TB as a hockey town so, if they ever did get a junior team, I'd report if I was a player. The biggest issue would be the financial issues with the team. They would have to pull the "bring in Windsor for two-game weekends" routine, like OS/Erie do (or have done in the past). I'm not sure it's worth it for the league or for any investors up there.
The biggest thing about Thunder Bay is they need a new arena. Just from a quick Google search their arena is 70+ years old and can only fit about 3500 people for a hockey game which would make it one of the oldest and smallest arenas in the OHL

I think the community support is there otherwise to make a team feasible, would just have to get some local businessmen on board that would happily pay the extra travel costs to make it viable

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
My stats only go back to 08/09, but from that season until the Bulls moved they never hit 3,000 average

08/09 2,970
09/10 2,746
10/11 2,645
11/12 2,494
12/13 2,551
13/14 2,304
14/15 2,545

In two of those seasons Mississauga outdrew the Bulls. No point in going back to Belleville, because I'm sure the corporate dollars in Mississauga/Brampton are better

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The biggest thing about Thunder Bay is they need a new arena. Just from a quick Google search their arena is 70+ years old and can only fit about 3500 people for a hockey game which would make it one of the oldest and smallest arenas in the OHL
oof. ya that's an old barn. it's really too bad tbay isn't a little closer to the other northern teams/michigan teams. or they'd be an ideal candidate for a franchise/new rink.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
oof. ya that's an old barn. it's really too bad tbay isn't a little closer to the other northern teams/michigan teams. or they'd be an ideal candidate for a franchise/new rink.
from a geographic standpoint it's a toss-up if they would be better suited for the OHL or WHL as they sit smack dab between the Sault and Winnipeg...at least TB has Westjet flights that operate out of their airport

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

It's as old as Sudbury and as small as OS, but smaller than Sudbury and older than OS. You'd need major renovations or an upgrade, similar to Brantford's.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would think Thunder Bay would be better geographically to join the USHL if they wanted a junior team.

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
Can this even be considered a "move", it's just an arena change. The CAA Centre and Paramount Fine Foods Centre are 7km apart, basically on the same street.

Reactions: Otto

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Can this even be considered a "move", it's just an arena change. The CAA Centre and Paramount Fine Foods Centre are 7km apart, basically on the same street
They are in two different cities....I see what you are getting at, but it is two different cities....and Brampton does have 600K people.

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
They are in two different cities....I see what you are getting at, but it is two different cities....and Brampton does have 600K people.
I understand they are different cities. To me, just seems like a whole lot of hoopla over a building change that is 7Km apart lol. It's not like they are moving from Missy to Chatham or something, some teams build new arena's within their city that are further apart then this change.

Reactions: Otto

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I understand they are different cities. To me, just seems like a whole lot of hoopla over a building change that is 7Km apart lol. It's not like they are moving from Missy to Chatham or something, some teams build new arena's within their city that are further apart then this change.

It's largely a move literally in name only, hell the new arena is a few kms closer then the PFFC and I live in Mississauga. It's all about the lease, hence no rebranding. They're hoping to keep their fan base since it's basically the same area and perhaps get a jump in attendance and a much more favourable lease. If they move again it won't be a measly 7kms, to say the least.
Last time I as was there it took me 20 minutes to get back on the 401. I think that is likely no more than 1/2 a mile!

Yep, sounds about right, add in sketchy weather and a transport skid and you have a stupid long commute. I know, trust me...

Otto

Exactly this.

Owner is getting crucified because "Brampton failed in the past" and suggesting the team be moved to places with inadequate facilities or places that had their own attendance issues.

This move has nothing to do with Brampton the city. Ownership is smart as they are not doing a wholesale rebranding. I have not heard of any Mississauga fans saying they will no longer support the team. Same Ownership, same team, same staff. They are moving up the street.

The London Ice House is further from the John Labatt Centre than these two arenas are from each other.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Exactly this.

Owner is getting crucified because "Brampton failed in the past" and suggesting the team be moved to places with inadequate facilities or places that had their own attendance issues.

This move has nothing to do with Brampton the city. Ownership is smart as they are not doing a wholesale rebranding. I have not heard of any Mississauga fans saying they will no longer support the team. Same Ownership, same team, same staff. They are moving up the street.

The London Ice House is further from the John Labatt Centre than these two arenas are from each other.

Used to go to the London Gardens back in the 70's early 80's, never knew what the drive had instore heading north out of the city back then.

The Steelheads are basically in the same neighbourhood, just a better lease and same age empty arena.

Made little sense to build two arenas that close to each other, in barren spots of each city. I know the area well, there is after basically 25 years still nothing at either rink to draw attention, no restaurants, nada. If they built the Hershey Centre at SQ 1 it would benefit from transit, large shopping centres and being in the hub of the city. Both arenas are basically in the same wasteland, just different jurisdiction for local taxes.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Actually, since the Battalion left Brampton for the 14/15 season Mississauga has only been last in average attendance twice (excluding the covid years of 19/20 & 21/22 )

14/15 & 22/23

They are currently last this season also
Conversely, using the same info this means they are last in attendance 3 of the past 10 seasons and actually 3 of 8 if we are excluding the covid years. Is there anyone worse? If so, it can only be one team so you're not really making a strong argument for Mississauga's attendance being OK.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Apparently Missy is moving to Brampton because of the cost of rent. According to Josh Brown's article in the Record they have been offered several years rent free in Brampton. Who could turn that offer down?

Reactions: Roadhog and the dog

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Apparently Missy is moving to Brampton because of the cost of rent. According to Josh Brown's article in the Record they have been offered several years rent free in Brampton. Who could turn that offer down?

Looked for it and couldn't find it, possible to send a link?

Otto

Conversely, using the same info this means they are last in attendance 3 of the past 10 seasons and actually 3 of 8 if we are excluding the covid years. Is there anyone worse? If so, it can only be one team so you're not really making a strong argument for Mississauga's attendance being OK.
I'm not saying their attendance is "ok" they still have a lot of work to do to get to pre-covid numbers. I'm saying they are not the hapless perennial bottom feeders in attendance that some are making them out to be. I've also been saying they have made great strides this season and if attendance were the be all and end all, ownership would have sold instead of moving them up the street

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00