Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Surprised they didn’t take the opportunity to rebrand the name with the move. Steelhead has no tie in with Brampton. Would be an opportunity to choose a name that is more reflective of the new local demographic.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Sooooo no need for the big arena in Missy now. Keep the community rinks and bulldoze the big rink to build a hotel or condo building? Surely a better use of the real estate than an empty 5,000 seat arena not being used.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sooooo no need for the big arena in Missy now. Keep the community rinks and bulldoze the big rink to build a hotel or condo building? Surely a better use of the real estate than an empty 5,000 seat arena not being used.

The 905 Raptors have been the main tenant there for some time, besides why start developing the area now after all these years of it being a empty barren waste land. :naughty:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Surprised they didn’t take the opportunity to rebrand the name with the move. Steelhead has no tie in with Brampton. Would be an opportunity to choose a name that is more reflective of the new local demographic.

The arena is 7 kms away from the old one, there are steelhead trout beyond the town borders FWIW. I think it's better to keep the name, logo and team colours (that they got permission from the leafs to use) then rebranding again, for my humble two cents worth, but I understand a different opinion.

Reactions: Roadhog and OMG67

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
The arena is 7 kms away from the old one, there are steelhead trout beyond the town borders FWIW. I think it's better to keep the name, logo and team colours (that they got permission from the leafs to use) then rebranding again, for my humble two cents worth, but I understand a different opinion.
They needed permission from the Leafs to have blue and white uniforms?

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I don't disagree....but there are plenty of lakes and rivers in the area where people do fish for steelhead. I believe the Mississauga name was based on the Steelhead pulled out of the credit river, which is kinda sorta on the border with Brampton. Plus I believe there is trout stocked in Heart Lake ... so while it's probably a lost opportunity to rebrand it still sorta works. Maybe they know they are only there for a couple of years anyway so why waste the money on hiring brand design people.

Reactions: Roadhog and OMG67

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
How about the Brampton St Michaels Majors? ;)

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm not surprised at all. Keeping the brand will encourage the current fan base to stay with the team. Rebranding could be a disaster

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The shoulder logo will need to go in any event considering it’s an M with the Credit River tower.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The shoulder logo will need to go in any event considering it’s an M with the Credit River tower.

I'd assume they have another idea and trademarked it when they trademarked Brampton on their logo. It's a secondary logo any how.

Reactions: Roadhog

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
I'm not surprised at all. Keeping the brand will encourage the current fan base to stay with the team. Rebranding could be a disaster
Hard to believe that returning to Brampton will improve attendance.

Reactions: OSA

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Hard to believe that returning to Brampton will improve attendance.
If attendance were the sole issue then they would have either sold the team or relocated to another centre... although I still don't believe there is another OHL suitable arena in Ontario ready to go, perhaps New York state.

But I don't know how many times this needs to be said... Mississauga is showing the highest year over year attendance in the OHL. up 41% all the reports are saying they were getting gouged on rent and Brampton offered a sweet deal. The arenas are close enough together that they shouldn't see a decrease in season ticket holders. Profitability is automatically increased with this new deal, which will allow them to spend more on marketing. Relocation to a different centre would mean hiring mostly new staff and starting from scratch.

This is a great business move

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Probably won't but lease way better than missassuaga

You're bang on but pls spell the city name correct, the only ass in Mississauga are on city council.
If attendance were the sole issue then they would have either sold the team or relocated to another centre... although I still don't believe there is another OHL suitable arena in Ontario ready to go, perhaps New York state.

But I don't know how many times this needs to be said... Mississauga is showing the highest year over year attendance in the OHL. up 41% all the reports are saying they were getting gouged on rent and Brampton offered a sweet deal. The arenas are close enough together that they shouldn't see a decrease in season ticket holders. Profitability is automatically increased with this new deal, which will allow them to spend more on marketing. Relocation to a different centre would mean hiring mostly new staff and starting from scratch.

This is a great business move

The distance is 7 km, and yes the staff doesn't have to change. There isn't a viable ohl market with an empty arena and looking for a team right now other then the Brampton CAA arena, so they move there cut their expenses through rent and see what does develop in a few years. I'm glad to see the team remaining for now, and seeing this team develop, should be a fun few years around here. Maybe the minds that be are looking for a tenant in Hamilton, sounds like their envisioning another ahl franchise, but it will take a couple of years meanwhile, Meanwhile having a rent reduction makes all the business sense.

Reactions: Roadhog and Otto

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good to see the two points last night after getting shutout in NB, though of the three games this one wasn't in the conference. Should be a tough one in Sudbury coming up, tempted to go, like that old barn, but they never win when I do.

JVV has 8 of his 14 goals since the calendar flipped, good to see him net a couple last night.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Good to see the two points last night after getting shutout in NB, though of the three games this one wasn't in the conference. Should be a tough one in Sudbury coming up, tempted to go, like that old barn, but they never win when I do.

JVV has 8 of his 14 goals since the calendar flipped, good to see him net a couple last night.
not only did JVV notch 2, his line mates each had 4 points. That has to feel good for Karmiris…he has struggled to put up points this year despite playing reasonably well.

And what gives with calling Misa and Martone the third line? Is that JR sending a message?

Reactions: Roadhog

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
not only did JVV notch 2, his line mates each had 4 points. That has to feel good for Karmiris…he has struggled to put up points this year despite playing reasonably well.

And what gives with calling Misa and Martone the third line? Is that JR sending a message?

They were listed third line last night with Eggleton on wing. Could be a message, or giving opportunities, shaking some things up after being shutout the night before.

Speaking of line ups, where is Leskovar? Hope he is back soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad