Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Roster officially listed on the team's website, D Gordon not listed along with K Schwindt, and the 4th pick Valade.

Fairly deep line up considering the have 9 '06 born skaters. It'll be interesting to watch the line combos as the season goes on, not to mention the d combos.

I think the goaltending stays put this year, Leenders gets a fair bulk in his draft year while Ivankovic gets a lesser workload. I think if things go as planned Leenders gets dealt after the season for more then the second round draft pick that was spent on him( should be a NHL drafted prospect )
and they roll with Ivank next season. They can't be a tandem after this year, makes no sense for the team or each of them.

Looking forward to see this team develop, they're a year or two away from seriously contending, but they were a much more exciting team after the trade deadline and sell off, hopefully attendance picks up.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
A question for Mississauga fans. What kind of seasons do you expect from Jack Van Volsen and Justin DeZoete?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Roster officially listed on the team's website, D Gordon not listed along with K Schwindt, and the 4th pick Valade.

Fairly deep line up considering the have 9 '06 born skaters. It'll be interesting to watch the line combos as the season goes on, not to mention the d combos.

I think the goaltending stays put this year, Leenders gets a fair bulk in his draft year while Ivankovic gets a lesser workload. I think if things go as planned Leenders gets dealt after the season for more then the second round draft pick that was spent on him( should be a NHL drafted prospect )
and they roll with Ivank next season. They can't be a tandem after this year, makes no sense for the team or each of them.

Looking forward to see this team develop, they're a year or two away from seriously contending, but they were a much more exciting team after the trade deadline and sell off, hopefully attendance picks up.
Thanks for the flag on this one, looks like Kai is going pro. Valade never signed as far as I'm aware but I am sad to not see Gordon on the roster. Thought there was always some potential there. I know Hayley is a year younger but I haven't seen much there to suggest he could be an OHL regular.

Definitely surprisingly deep up front, there is going to be a ton of competition for icetime. Should be a fun team to watch.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto

I'm concerned about who the #3 goalie is, I think Leenders was the only one in camp with major junior experience. The Junior Canadians have former Q league goalie Sergei Litvinov, maybe he can fill the open OA spot for a few games in an emergency.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice start to the season at least. The top line is looking good, Leenders looked steady as well. Seems as though the team could do somewhat better on face offs though, but it may be a match up scenario since it's been 2 games against the same team. Something to keep an eye on.

Will be interesting to see how they fare against a variety of opponents now everything is in full swing.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
A question for Mississauga fans. What kind of seasons do you expect from Jack Van Volsen and Justin DeZoete?
Good question. Hard to know what to expect from Van Volsen. He was taken one pick after Martone in the draft but they appear to be worlds apart in what they deliver. Van Volsen doesn’t play a physical game, doesn’t skate better than everyone else and doesn’t seem to be either a playmaker or a goal scorer. If he puts up 60 points I will be happy but he seems to get points because he’s on the ice, not because of anything special he does. I don’t mean to be harsh, and I hope I’m wrong but I would rate him below Veccia and Karmiris talent wise.
DeZoete is even harder to figure out. When he was a Pete I noticed his play against us all the time. I thought he was one of your best players. Now that he’s a ‘head I never notice him. He didn’t make the opening night roster so it would appear the coach has the same impression.

Reactions: Tarantula

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Good question. Hard to know what to expect from Van Volsen. He was taken one pick after Martone in the draft but they appear to be worlds apart in what they deliver. Van Volsen doesn’t play a physical game, doesn’t skate better than everyone else and doesn’t seem to be either a playmaker or a goal scorer. If he puts up 60 points I will be happy but he seems to get points because he’s on the ice, not because of anything special he does. I don’t mean to be harsh, and I hope I’m wrong but I would rate him below Veccia and Karmiris talent wise.
DeZoete is even harder to figure out. When he was a Pete I noticed his play against us all the time. I thought he was one of your best players. Now that he’s a ‘head I never notice him. He didn’t make the opening night roster so it would appear the coach has the same impression.
Jack Van Volsen did not get a lot of ice time in Peterborough. He was used on the power play and was effective there. 5 on 5 it was hard to get a read on him because he did not get a lot of ice time. The Petes considered him a future star when he was here. Is he playing centre or left wing? In Peterborough he was primarily a left winger. In regards Justin DeZoete played on various lines when he as a Pete and showed promise offensively early the season but he was as primarily used in a defensive role later in the fall until he was traded. He played both left and right wing during his time in Peterborough.

Reactions: mtshapcott

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Jack Van Volsen did not get a lot of ice time in Peterborough. He was used on the power play and was effective there. 5 on 5 it was hard to get a read on him because he did not get a lot of ice time. The Petes considered him a future star when he was here. Is he playing centre or left wing? In Peterborough he was primarily a left winger. In regards Justin DeZoete played on various lines when he as a Pete and showed promise offensively early the season but he was as primarily used in a defensive role later in the fall until he was traded. He played both left and right wing during his time in Peterborough.
JVV is playing centre with Zidlicky on his left and Veccia on his right. In 2 games the Heads have scored 10 goals and I don’t think this line has a 5 on 5 goal. On paper it should be a very good line.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
JVV is playing centre with Zidlicky on his left and Veccia on his right. In 2 games the Heads have scored 10 goals and I don’t think this line has a 5 on 5 goal. On paper it should be a very good line.
As a team they're having issues winning faceoffs, though they've only played one team (twice). Could be a match up issue, hopefully they start to improve as the season rolls along.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Are Dragusica and Witkowski injured? MISS is the only team who hasn't got a single game played from a 2007 born this season, which is surprising since at the end of the day this'll be a development year to get ready for next season and the one after for them

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Are Dragusica and Witkowski injured? MISS is the only team who hasn't got a single game played from a 2007 born this season, which is surprising since at the end of the day this'll be a development year to get ready for next season and the one after for them
I don't believe they are, they both played in all 6 preseason games for the team. Definitely think they should both be drawing into the lineup.

Dragusica in for Hayley, and Witkowski in for Richmond/Eggleton if it were up to me.

I would assume Ivankovic gets the start tomorrow in net, but man has Leenders looked good so far. Still upset with that pick

JVV has a lot more to show than what we have seen so far. It has been the Porter Martone show since the two of them were traded but I think JVV will solidify himself as a solid 2nd liner this season. Unfortunately I don't see a ton of NHL upside at this time but lots of time left for him to develop.

Unfortunately DeZoete is caught in a numbers game here in Sauga, I can't see him getting much of a chance here offensively and he may find himself sitting if either of Witkowski or Chiarot break into the lineup

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't believe they are, they both played in all 6 preseason games for the team. Definitely think they should both be drawing into the lineup.

Dragusica in for Hayley, and Witkowski in for Richmond/Eggleton if it were up to me.

I would assume Ivankovic gets the start tomorrow in net, but man has Leenders looked good so far. Still upset with that pick

JVV has a lot more to show than what we have seen so far. It has been the Porter Martone show since the two of them were traded but I think JVV will solidify himself as a solid 2nd liner this season. Unfortunately I don't see a ton of NHL upside at this time but lots of time left for him to develop.

Unfortunately DeZoete is caught in a numbers game here in Sauga, I can't see him getting much of a chance here offensively and he may find himself sitting if either of Witkowski or Chiarot break into the lineup
I'm excited to see Ivankovic tmrw, loved him in minor midget. But yeah that pick looks brutal. Leenders is a stud, which seemingly everyone but Richmond saw coming lol

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'm excited to see Ivankovic tmrw, loved him in minor midget. But yeah that pick looks brutal. Leenders is a stud, which seemingly everyone but Richmond saw coming lol
I think they were trying to build a goaltending tandem like Everett with Dustin wolf and carter hart. No matter the goalie you will have a chance to win every game.

I don’t get the pick either because leenders is great but if I were a betting man I’d say that’s what they’re trying to build.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think they were trying to build a goaltending tandem like Everett with Dustin wolf and carter hart. No matter the goalie you will have a chance to win every game.

I don’t get the pick either because leenders is great but if I were a betting man I’d say that’s what they’re trying to build.
Yeah im sure they were. But Leenders is going to be a top 2/3 goalie in the league during Ivankovic’s draft year. So either Mississauga will only play a top 2 goalie in the league 50% of the time (they won’t do that) or Ivankovic will ask out so he can show what he can do and get drafted (Anson Thornton in Sarnia playing behind Gaudreau)

Reactions: frontsfan67

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thought Ivankovic was solid tonight despite the stats not looking that way

Thought so as well, didn't look like a rookie playing in his first game in the O.
Still upset with that pick

I'm not upset with the pick as such, though surprised as hell. If they handle the assets properly and get a good return for one of them, likely Leenders, and still have a solid answer in net, then there's a lot less sting. I'll be upset if it doesn't pan out with some extra draft choices for who ever gets dealt.

I don't have a crystal ball but I wonder if the plan is to trade Leenders next offseason as a NHL drafted goalie, get extra picks in the draft as adding capital for their run over the next 2 years with Ivank taking over the net. I see the tandem working for this season only, it will be a untenable situation going into next season though, especially with Ivank going into his draft year. They must have a plan, then again they did draft Jack Hughes 1rst round when it seemed obvious he wasn't going to report to the O, when they had a defected player the year before, a total waste of a 1rst rounder.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Thought so as well, didn't look like a rookie playing in his first game in the O.

I'm not upset with the pick as such, though surprised as hell. If they handle the assets properly and get a good return for one of them, likely Leenders, and still have a solid answer in net, then there's a lot less sting. I'll be upset if it doesn't pan out with some extra draft choices for who ever gets dealt.

I don't have a crystal ball but I wonder if the plan is to trade Leenders next offseason as a NHL drafted goalie, get extra picks in the draft as adding capital for their run over the next 2 years with Ivank taking over the net. I see the tandem working for this season only, it will be a untenable situation going into next season though, especially with Ivank going into his draft year. They must have a plan, then again they did draft Jack Hughes 1rst round when it seemed obvious he wasn't going to report to the O, when they had a defected player the year before, a total waste of a 1rst rounder.
Unlikely. Leenders is the guy next year for them as Missy will be the favourite to win the East they won't deal their #1 guy.

WJ

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Unlikely. Leenders is the guy next year for them as Missy will be the favourite to win the East they won't deal their #1 guy.

WJ

Makes no sense to draft a tender as high as they did with Ivank and bury him as BUG during his draft year. Makes more sense to trade Leenders next off season as he will bring in higher draft capital to add to the war chest. Also it's not next year or bust, they are probably 2 seasons away from really putting their chips in. If they keep Leenders it would be essentially a wasted first round pick on Ivank, would have been better off drafting a skater. JMO, I don't see how Leenders will be here if Ivank shows he's legitimate. Certainly one will want out.

Think about it, they used 2 high draft picks on 06 born goalie and a 07 born goalie. They obviously can't play at the same time so you are short on 06, 07 skaters. They will have to deal one of them, that's a given, makes more sense all around to deal Leenders, as long as Ivank looks like he's capable going forward. I don't see how both can be here next season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Makes no sense to draft a tender as high as they did with Ivank and bury him as BUG during his draft year. Makes more sense to trade Leenders next off season as he will bring in higher draft capital to add to the war chest. Also it's not next year or bust, they are probably 2 seasons away from really putting their chips in. If they keep Leenders it would be essentially a wasted first round pick on Ivank, would have been better off drafting a skater. JMO, I don't see how Leenders will be here if Ivank shows he's legitimate. Certainly one will want out.

Think about it, they used 2 high draft picks on 06 born goalie and a 07 born goalie. They obviously can't play at the same time so you are short on 06, 07 skaters. They will have to deal one of them, that's a given, makes more sense all around to deal Leenders, as long as Ivank looks like he's capable going forward. I don't see how both can be here next season.
Selecting Ivankovic gave Miss a lot of options.
Maybe, the Steelheads just felt Ivankovic was BPA; and, the most appealing 16 yr old available for re-tooling teams at the deadline If Leenders looks worthy of starting for a contender.
It can even be for a later picked ‘07 that Richmond liked, just not at #7 & future picks.

Last edited:

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks for sharing Tarantula, I saw that earlier and didn't even realize it was for a different week as the stats were so similar. What a start to the season for Leenders. He also looks noticeably bigger in net, I see he's now listed at 6'1"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad