Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sched released tomorrow, but with the home openers being released today it seems that The Trout open on the road in Ottawa, Fri night and have their home opener against the former Miss team, the Ice Dogs.

Both teams should be amongst the East leaders so a tough start for a young rebuilding team.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
OHL insider has tweeted James Richmond may be taking a coaching job in LA. A little late in the off season to be looking for a new coach, any thoughts. No possible replacement was named, I would not pass too much time on this rumour, but some of them pan out.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Looks like it could be a year full of changes for the team, at least we know that they'll be staying in Mississauga for the foreseeable future but will definitely be more of a rebuilding season. Especially if they lose James Richmond which I hope won't be the case

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I sure am not qualified to surmise on JRs abilities as a coach or GM, I believe this past draft was his first in charge as Boyd was still employed for the 17 draft. I would think it would be a negative though if he leaves for LA, clearly not a move the Steelheads wanted to make, plus the timing. I can't see looking for a coach and GM now.

Rumour, guess we will see if it bears fruit. May not even happen or be a issue.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I would not be surprised, no disrespect to the source by any means, if it does not come to pass. I haven't had time to check into JR, his past resume to great deal and see if connections would exsist between him and management or coaching in LA, though there would not necessarily have to be one for him to be a candidate.

Of course it would be a major ripple to say the least if it happens, and I like him as a coach, team works hard for the puck, along the boards, the small battles. See how his draft goes and develops. Takes a while for that track record to show.

Boyd was the GM last year until the end of the season, well after the draft. Who gets last years draft on their resume? Who gets the blame for a wasted Jack Hughes pick? Not sure who would be having the biggest vote or voice that year with Boyd's imminent departure coming ahead.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Michnac traded to the Spirit for a conditional 5th rounder, Spirit using a import and OA slot.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Anyone on here wanna give a Spirit fan any scouting reports on Michnac? To be honest I didnt even recognize the name when we traded for him and we dont play you guys very often.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nifty quick hands, can skate and handle the puck. He can also finish as well, last year he had a weekend where he scored 9 goals in 8 periods.

He tends to keep the puck himself sometimes and skates out of chances, which caused him to move down the lineup, didn't really develop chemistry with some linemates. He improved noticeably as the season went on, passing more often instead of skating around the outside of the offensive zone.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
I think JR gave young Michnac plenty of chance to play top six ice time and really struggled with systems and match ups. Hope it goes well for him with the Spirit. Hope JR stays and the kids come back hungry.
Looking forward to the start of the season.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Agree with the above.
Tarantula you are a true fun of the fish without doubt. Good to see you back at it.
JR was did something in the player development department when he was with the Kings. He has done a good job in developing the kids he has with the Steelheads.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I think that is one of his strong points, but I sure am not qualified, just a opinion. I didn't like all his descions, especially the forward lines, but he is behind the bench not me. The players were putting in effort in on puck battles consistently, which is a good sign on the coach.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Surprised R McLeod is still on the draft board, I believe he was a first rounder. You can't teach the skills he has, especially hockey sense.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Surprised R McLeod is still on the draft board, I believe he was a first rounder. You can't teach the skills he has, especially hockey sense.
I thought he would go higher than 40th. It should bring some motivation for him because I am sure he felt he would go higher. Playing with Forget part of last year really worked well for both of them. He will be playing with some good wingers this season without doubt.
Go Fish!!!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking forward to seeing both of these guys this season. Hopefully Jacob can rebound off a disappointing season. He has a lot of skill and potential, makes some incredible saves. He should be better as he works on base skills, positioning and skating.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking over a depth chart I had made for this team, the biggest question has to be Tippet. I know Florida kept him for 9 games last year, but I don't think he is ready for a steady NHL job yet. If they do return him back, I think he should be moved for as much as possible. Sure, I would like to see him this year, but frankly wasn't impressed with some of what I saw last year. The draft grid is a bit light as well, JR could stock up by dealing him and give the team some real flexability in the upcoming years.

A: Think he will be returned to the O?
B: If so, what do you think should happen?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Definitely it is a big question mark for the team. I don't think he is ready either for the NHL.

It will be a decision made as the season goes on. Who knows, they could surprise and make a decent run in the first half if Ingham can reach the potential he flashes. But if things quickly turn south I think they will sell as it could really help them contend 2 years down the road

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Definitely it is a big question mark for the team. I don't think he is ready either for the NHL.

It will be a decision made as the season goes on. Who knows, they could surprise and make a decent run in the first half if Ingham can reach the potential he flashes. But if things quickly turn south I think they will sell as it could really help them contend 2 years down the road
Another guy who benefited from playing with Forget. IMO with a NHL Center and winger Tippett will be a productive player now. Of the elite players they had last year he was far and away most promising. If he is sent back he will be motivated to prove the Florida made a mistake- no need to rush into moving him IMO.
Looking forward to the season. Still hoping JR stays.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Another guy who benefited from playing with Forget. IMO with a NHL Center and winger Tippett will be a productive player now. Of the elite players they had last year he was far and away most promising. If he is sent back he will be motivated to prove the Florida made a mistake- no need to rush into moving him IMO.
Looking forward to the season. Still hoping JR stays.

While Tippet will never be the energy player M McLeod was he would run cold at times, on the other hand he seemed to step up at times when MM was out, he had quite the game against the Soo. Hopefully he has matured over the year, keeps his focus. He probably wants a shot at Team Canada as well.

No inside knowledge but I'm guessing JR stays at this time. I could see how he may not finish his deal here if he gets a promotion to the NHL. I'm not sure how exactly that works, but I couldn't see a owner insisting a coach/gm stay for the term and not be able to take a NHL job.

Yes, they could make some noise if things go well at the start, some good signs work wise from last years rooks and it isn't unreasonable at all to expect a better year for Ingham. His dmen won't be quite as young at the bottom pairings. Likely a long year ahead especially later in the year when everyone is back from WJ and the trade deadline is done. The OHL, even the experts really don't know. Still there's lots to watch this year.

Reactions: Scooter44

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I keep forgeting about Foget, he was slick on his feet, fun to watch when he got the puck.

I wonder where he is going to play next year, maybe school? I will have to look him up.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
I keep forgeting about Foget, he was slick on his feet, fun to watch when he got the puck.

I wonder where he is going to play next year, maybe school? I will have to look him up.
He played in the Eastern hockey League after the fish were knocked out of the Playoffs. He is back in Ottawa for the summer and still training.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
The import draft will be held tomorrow, any ideas of what types of players they will be targeting? I think they could really use a RD, and preferably one of the two players selected will be here for a couple years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad