Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nice to see the team locking up their high picks early. I wonder if they'll sign a 4th player from this draft before the season or wait to see how they progress in their various leagues

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking forward to seeing them in the fall. Hopefully they can get to OHL speed quickly.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I hope so too. They're going to need this draft class to be strong as they don't have a great group of 00's. Glad to hear that Ranger looked good in the scrimmage

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hope Ranger is the real deal, but he won't likely be a big factor next year as goalies seem a bit behind the curve. Ingham had a solid rookie year and he won some playoff games and was considered a strength going into the last season, as the Trout were regarded highly before the season began. I expect more from Ingham this year, but goaltending can be a toss up proposition. O Sound was highly regarded as well and likely would have a chance to advance if they had better goaltending throughout the year. So some good news is a good thing even if it may not transpire next year. The poster also seems to be boosting Ranger on another team site as well where a snaggle broke out, so just a word of caution, may, or may not be a valid observation, with all due respects.

The rookie class last year was under whelming, especially after trading away Rippon after spending to get him. Harley may develop into a first rate dman but he hasn't shown enough to bank on yet, which is hardly surprising, dmen can take a while in this league, and most of his faults seemed to be mental mistakes, which expirience and coaching could improve greatly. I immediately liked Canade, the kid doesn't back away from anyone and you need some of that. Washuruk really seemed to improve as the season went along and he has some speed and gumption as well. C Schwindt led the rooks in scoring, see if he continues to develop.

Plenty of changes this year, but they need to have better draft results. Jack Hughes pick last year will hurt this team moving forward, as they don't have a bank account of picks and need to hit on the first rounds. Glad the first 3 are sown up.

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
Goalie situation is going to be interesting this season. Ingham will be the starter of course but O/A Vella is up in the air. He has some CIS offers and it’s unlikely any OHL team will sign a O/A backup that will cost them another year of education. That said he is related to ownership so who knows. So we then have Dunsmoor and Ranger both signed. As far as size they are both on the small side but hey, Leo is small and made us look pretty bad this year. Both goalies were great in the rookie scrimmage neither letting anything by. Dunsmoor seems a little more polished but that is to be expected being a year older. Watson would be a serious contender as well and had a good year in the OJ. He has grown a lot as well but it looks like the NCAA is his focus.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good news, I figured they would strike a deal, I was thinking 4 yrs. Just reading between the lines of articles and a interview EK gave on the fan prior to last years season opener. Just a gut feeling, I have no inside track or as you all would know not particularly bright! Who knows how they will be doing when this lease wraps or if EK has options to sell or move remains to be seen.

Will always be a uphill battle here for exposure, the biggest hurdle they face. Hopefully Humber will keep with the TV broadcasting, everything helps.

I believe JR has 4 left on his deal, so see as he builds this team and where that leads to. I know that many fans of the Ice Dogs, then a wave of Major fans never came back, and Brampton fans did not suddenly take to the Steelheads, so now they have 5 more years to try and build.

Going to be odd calling the rink the Paramount. Not thrilled at the irony of the home rink being named after a reaturaunt chain considering the team nickname, too many poor headlines after a loss, many will be in poor taste!

Best thing about being a hockey fan is actually having something to look forward to to offset the disappointment at the end of summer.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I believe JR has 4 left on his deal, so see as he builds this team and where that leads to. I know that many fans of the Ice Dogs, then a wave of Major fans never came back, and Brampton fans did not suddenly take to the Steelheads, so now they have 5 more years to try and build.

In my opinion it was terrible of Melnyk to not allow the new owner to keep the Majors name, especially after the league gifted him the Memorial Cup. There was starting to be a feeling of nostalgia with the old Majors players murals (Kelly, Keon, Horton, Mahovolich etc) . It was a shame that wasn't left to build upon and they had to start over.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Such exciting news for all fans! Let's hope we can continue to build the fan base to a point where the next lease won't be in question!
After this year's attendance stats, I was actually expecting a sale announcement rather than a five year lease. Mississauga has steadily improved as a team but suffers the second worst attendance numbers in the league.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
After this year's attendance stats, I was actually expecting a sale announcement rather than a five year lease. Mississauga has steadily improved as a team but suffers the second worst attendance numbers in the league.

I understand why the attendance looks terrible on the outside but their numbers from 2 years ago were inflated heavily by the number of free tickets given out by the team. However their paid attendance has been improving and they were able to secure some corporate sponsorships for this past season. So I'm not planning on counting this franchise out yet

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Its a shame that the on ice product will be somewhat diluted next season with the losses of Hague, MacLeod, Tippet, Fox etc. Its hard to see the attendance numbers getting much better in the near future. I guess no-one signed the DNR order. This looks like a short term reprieve.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
I understand why the attendance looks terrible on the outside but their numbers from 2 years ago were inflated heavily by the number of free tickets given out by the team. However their paid attendance has been improving and they were able to secure some corporate sponsorships for this past season. So I'm not planning on counting this franchise out yet

I have seen franchises sold when attendance numbers were in the low 3,000s. I hope they figure it out!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Been watching this league since the 70's and many teams have moved for many reasons, and as a fan it is beyond ones' control. At least now the fans and ticket holders can at least go into next season knowing they will see this team grow as they will be rebuilding after the last 2 years. This draft was critical and they have their first 3 rounds signed.

Looking forward to what lies ahead, expecting a rough year coming up but that's life in the O!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Cheers to Nic Hague and his winning The Max Kaminsky. Had a great year and his play was certainly a highlight last season, won't be seeing that kind of a performance in a long time. Hope to see him in the Big Show soon.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Congrats to Nic Hague! I am glad to see him win as he was such a workhorse for this team the entire season!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Have been looking over the possible roster, looks thinner then last year.
I believe we have 2 over age skaters at the moment, Carter and O'Grady, assuming Vella moves on for now to CIS. Two of the many questions to be answered involve Tippet and Michnac returning. If Tippy returns I would hope for a selloff. What options does Michnac have open to him? I don't know the ins and outs of the import draft rules.

Defense was a issue last year, and looks thinner this year with Moverare and Hague moving on.

Hoping the sophomore class can step it up this year. Three of them will be Dmen. I don't see anybody in the class that led their D the past two years. Could be a difficult year for the Goalers.

Any opinions on Tippet or Michnac?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
It looks like it will likely be a bit of a rebuilding year based on the returning players. That said it is a fantastic opportunity for this years rookie crop to make a greater impact versus the last 2 draft classes.

I hope that Tippett returns as he would bring back a lot in a trade and would kickstart the rebuild. I can't see Ryan McLeod going anywhere as this is where him and his brother wanted to play.

Michnac can return as an OA import, however it is yet to be seen if the team would want to use 2 slots on one player Or if Michnac would want to return as he might have options to play pro in Europe.

We need a big year from Harley next year, and if Walker and Hardy can solidify 3rd pairing roles that would be about what we can expect from them next year. I am interested to see how their new signing Jake Cella does, can never have too many right shot defenceman

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
That's right Michnac is a OA as well. Nifty hands and was passing the puck at the end of the season. Tough to see the Trout using 2 slots.

I would like to see Tippet dealt for picks, I still don't think he is ready for the NHL fulltime. He sure put a show on for the home game against the Soo, but I am for anything to kick start a rebuild.

Maybe McLeod takes a deal later to a close team geo wise that has a chance at the deadline for a buffet of picks.

Lots of spots open and still the import D to go, will be interesting to see the roster shape up on paper before they hit the ice for camp in the fall.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Exhibition sched out:
Aug 31 Osh @ Miss
Hersh#2 (Paramount #2?)
Sep 3 Mon Miss @ Guelph
Sept 14 Fri Guelph @ Miss
No venue listed, this game was played in Rexdale last year
Sept 15 Sat Miss @ Osh
Ajax

No info yet for the second home game that I could find for the host arena. Last year the game was held in Rexdale.

No word that I have heard on the blue white game.

I think the name on the arena changes at the end of the month to Paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad