Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Never thought i'd see the day where somebody said Gibson was better than an NHL drafted defense-man. Gibson is on his way out for a real OA d-man. No way he plays in the top 4 if they want to compete in the playoffs. Maybe they pick up a younger guy that can play in the top 4, but if you're competing you want 3 good OA's. Last year they had Watson, Leblanc and Mancina. This year they have Fox, Cascagnette and Gibson??? Not the best OA group. I would keep Fox 100% though.

Might be recency bias. I was at the Erie/Mississauga game and I thought Gibson looked pretty good. I'm also not high on Osmanski. In any event, they're at least similar. So if you can move one for a decent return, you do it

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Never thought i'd see the day where somebody said Gibson was better than an NHL drafted defense-man. Gibson is on his way out for a real OA d-man. No way he plays in the top 4 if they want to compete in the playoffs. Maybe they pick up a younger guy that can play in the top 4, but if you're competing you want 3 good OA's. Last year they had Watson, Leblanc and Mancina. This year they have Fox, Cascagnette and Gibson??? Not the best OA group. I would keep Fox 100% though.
That is what I thought, Gibson isn't a top 4 dman to me (for what that is worth).

Tyler8525

May 16, 2011
Are we favorites to come out of the east again with the return of Tippet and McLeod ?? They were dominant last season and now have an extra year experience plus some time with the big clubs. I expect McLeod to put up massive numbers this year. Friday will be a great test playing Sarnia!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They were rolling wins together before 74 & 9 were back. They are the favourites in my mind, and pretty exciting at that. The McLeod show is back, now they have some serious depth at forward, however a bit shallow on D.
Sarnia did wipe them out but they haven't been as dominating since, and the S'Heads have been likely the best team since their 1-8 start. Last 2 games have been noticeably chippy as well, opponent match and misconducts. They have a target now.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Steelheads are my Championship favourites at this point (although we’ll see what deals are made in January). They should just roll through the rest of the east now.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Brendan Harrogate traded to Osh, 2020 4th, 2019 7th, conditional I believe.
Wonder if something else could be brewing?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Watched the Missy and Niagara game Saturday if the Steelheads had a choice I think they would refuse Tippet coming back had a nice goal but took a dumb penalty and was lucky it was only two minutes other than his mouth there were stretches of the game I did not notice him and I heard from my Oshawa freinds last night he tooktwo penalties and a game misconduct. Plus Micheal McLeod was invisible Saturday night I was impressed by Hague the rest of the Steelheads not to much.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Watched the Missy and Niagara game Saturday if the Steelheads had a choice I think they would refuse Tippet coming back had a nice goal but took a dumb penalty and was lucky it was only two minutes other than his mouth there were stretches of the game I did not notice him and I heard from my Oshawa freinds last night he tooktwo penalties and a game misconduct. Plus Micheal McLeod was invisible Saturday night I was impressed by Hague the rest of the Steelheads not to much.
thats the way to beat missy get under their top guns skin.. they cant let it go

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
This is year 19 of major junior hockey in Mississauga. Have they ever had good crowds in their history? What was the reason for not having games broadcast on radio?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
This is year 19 of major junior hockey in Mississauga. Have they ever had good crowds in their history? What was the reason for not having games broadcast on radio?

They did quite well for the first couple of years. There was potential I think if they remained the IceDogs - I remember their first playoff game against Ottawa was very well attended.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

Mississauga isn't really a separate city, it is under the shadow of Toronto, and all the radio stations are based there. The leafs, Marlies, Raptors, and Argos have broadcasts, no real local niche for a station to have Mississauga based programming in the GTA. Missy may not be formally in the GTA and have their own council, but for all intents it is. Brampton had many of the same issues.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
This is the third team in 19 yrs, the Ice Dogs moved, Majors ceased operating and kept their records and logos, Steelheads are the third team here. Some season ticket holders will revert to their old Ice Dog jerseys when Niagra rolls in. Personally I think they should have built the rink at Square One, city hall is there and a major transit hub. The Hershey Centre is largely out of sight and mind here. Also not easy for a family to get to on a weeknight with all the urban sprawl here. My office is based by the rink, and it often takes me 40 min to drive the 16km during a weeknight.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Big observation last night is that Mississauga is relying on one line way too much. Prior to Tippett and McLeod returning they were playing hard and sharing the ice time . Players seemed to have more jump from the 1st line to the 4th. Problem now is the entire team plan is based on those two players and the younger McLeod. Fox and others who normally play Sudbury very tough were no where last night. The Mississauga power play was run by the same 5 guys almost the entire two minutes. I can see guys that were getting some of that PP early on in the season sitting the bench being a little peed off. Just something I observed between the last time these teams met to now.

WJ

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Big observation last night is that Mississauga is relying on one line way too much. Prior to Tippett and McLeod returning they were playing hard and sharing the ice time . Players seemed to have more jump from the 1st line to the 4th. Problem now is the entire team plan is based on those two players and the younger McLeod. Fox and others who normally play Sudbury very tough were no where last night. The Mississauga power play was run by the same 5 guys almost the entire two minutes. I can see guys that were getting some of that PP early on in the season sitting the bench being a little peed off. Just something I observed between the last time these teams met to now.

WJ
I noticed it too last week in Oshawa the top line is out there every other shift and all of there PP they are going to burn them selves out. I say go right ahead better for the east.

Reactions: icepups

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I
After losing 5-3 to Hamilton, Mississauga is now on an 0-6 slide.

I wonder if Mississauga has thought about acquiring Michael DiPietro from the Spitfires for maybe Jacob Ingham and a couple picks. Could be great for both sides. Mississauga gets the best goalie in the OHL, and Windsor recoup picks and a great goalie why they quickly rebuild.....

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Cant see that happening....

they dont have the picks, they have a sure thing in Ingham for the next 3 years, he's just off to a bad start...

If they are going all in this year, they will use the picks they have to sure up their defense, that is pretty weak outside of Hague and Moverare.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Cant see that happening....

they dont have the picks, they have a sure thing in Ingham for the next 3 years, he's just off to a bad start...

If they are going all in this year, they will use the picks they have to sure up their defense, that is pretty weak outside of Hague and Moverare.
Missy has five 2nds in the next nine years. Many holes in the 2nd round in the next few drafts. Doubt they would clean completely out to acquire DiPietro.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
If they continue to slide can you see the Trout parting with Hague and McLeod at the deadline?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Ingham just left the game--injury? Vella now in, Bulldogs have expanded their lead to 3-0. Just when it couldn't get worse for the Trout..

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
19th place overall, what is going on with the Trout? Getting Tippett and McLeod back was supposed to have improved them, not made them worse. I have been busy working and missed the last few games, anybody have any idea of what the problem is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad