Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough one to watch, especially since they came out skating and took a early lead. Hard to see this team winning four on anyone in the playoffs with the goaltending as of late. Other then that small stretch where Vella was hot, it has been as spotty as dripped paint. Ottawa lost as well, missed oppoutunity, a microcosm of the season.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tough one to watch, especially since they came out skating and took a early lead. Hard to see this team winning four on anyone in the playoffs with the goaltending as of late. Other then that small stretch where Vella was hot, it has been as spotty as dripped paint. Ottawa lost as well, missed oppoutunity, a microcosm of the season.
Not a promising effort tonight. Not even fun to watch. It doesn’t cost anything to be optimistic but.....

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Standings aside, one of the more unfortunate aspects of the game last night was the building actually had a bit of a buzz and a good crowd.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Standings aside, one of the more unfortunate aspects of the game last night was the building actually had a bit of a buzz and a good crowd.
Run and gun hockey is fun to watch when it is working for your team not so much when it doesn’t. Against a well coached disciplined team it is pretty easy to defend against. Friday night was a good example.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
So who does JR go with today??

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Good bounce back by Vella and the entire team. It makes Friday's rematch with the 67's that much more interesting.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The 67s have a game in between in Barrie on Thursday, so they will be into the second game of a roadtrip when they meet next. Hopefully their bus runs into some of the same hwy 400 traffic that always seems to be the bane of my existence.:laugh:

Nice effort, Ottawa was on the third game in three, back to back against Kingston prior, both losses, though one as a OT. They seemed to get tired after the third goal. Good to see Missy take advantage of the circumstances, and tie Ott in the standings!

Glad Boomer is still suspended, game got chippy at times. Hague is not liked around there since their last playoff game and his subsequent suspension after a fight with Barron.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nice win as the Steelheads are now in control of their own destiny for the 7th seed! I assume they'll go back to Vella on Friday, his performance this weekend will likely determine whether he'll get the start in the 1st round

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ottawa has a two game roadie, Barrie on thurs, Missy Fri. They finish at home against NB.

Missy has Ott, Fri, roadie to Niagara, Sat, finish at home Sun against Kingston.

Barrie should handle Ott at home, they are still trying to get first seed, and hopefully the Trout take care of OTT on Fri. Who knows if NB has anything to play for by Sun.

If Missy beats OTT, they still have a tough roadie ahead of them and the final game against KG could be a nothing game for them. Tough to call! Tie breaker is still to be decided as well!

I think Vella has the start now until he coughs up a poor game.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ottawa leads season series against Missy, 2-1. gm 1: 4-3 Ott, Gm 2:6-2 Ott, Gm 3: 5-1 Missy. I am assuming that head to head would be the first tie breaker, is head to head goals against each other second? If so a one goal victory would give Missy the edge.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Ottawa leads season series against Missy, 2-1. gm 1: 4-3 Ott, Gm 2:6-2 Ott, Gm 3: 5-1 Missy. I am assuming that head to head would be the first tie breaker, is head to head goals against each other second? If so a one goal victory would give Missy the edge.
I am pretty sure it is most total wins that is the first tie breaker. Was it the same Steelhead team we watched yesterday that we watched last Sunday?
Blocking shots and getting the puck deep and using their speed to search out and hound out pucks worked well. Hope JR can keep them doing it. Nice to see the two new kids from Ottawa have good games against their home town team. Go fish!!!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, just saw the most wins on another board, hence Steel Fishbowl's point about the Trout being in control now computes with me. See what ups and downs this weekend has in store!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Which would the Steelheads be better against in the playoffs, the Hamilton Bulldogs or the Barrie Colts? At this point, they might be better off drawing Hamilton, as Barrie is the better team..

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Which would the Steelheads be better against in the playoffs, the Hamilton Bulldogs or the Barrie Colts? At this point, they might be better off drawing Hamilton, as Barrie is the better team..

You think Barrie is better than Hamilton? That's a hot take

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Missy has fared much better against Barrie this year, lost all the games against Hamilton. Most Trout fans that I have talked to would rather Barrie for that reason alone, however one could present a case for either. Missy could upset either one, or be out quickly, depending on defense (thin at the moment, prone to lapses) or if their goaltending goes cold. I think how the Steelheads play has more to do with how they do then their opposition does at this point, IMO.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Missy has fared much better against Barrie this year, lost all the games against Hamilton. Most Trout fans that I have talked to would rather Barrie for that reason alone, however one could present a case for either. Missy could upset either one, or be out quickly, depending on defense (thin at the moment, prone to lapses) or if their goaltending goes cold. I think how the Steelheads play has more to do with how they do then their opposition does at this point, IMO.
Hope JR can keep them disciplined. Their power play has played a huge roll in their success against Barrie (I think they are still the most penalized team in the league- I could be wrong but...)
Barrie is a good match up IMO.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hamilton did shut them down offensively, and two of the three in Hamilton were unconvincing to say the least. Missy did play them more often when they were playing the poorest earlier this year though. Hopefully the discipline is there, especially when the playoffs start. This weekend should be a big one for a few teams.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
See how the last weekend plays out and how the season finishes before making too many playoff plans. Any team in the mix could go cold or worse, have a injury that could change things. Interesting weekend ahead, teams are playing for position all along the East, so it should a full weekend of scoreboarding for alot of people.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I agree that I hope they would have a chance against either team but yeah Hamilton is definitely the better team in my eyes and they've also owned the Trout this season. Combined with more stable goaltending and I'd much rather see them face Barrie in the 1st round

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Unfortunately since the standings are so tight we might not see any schedule released until the end of the season but the 1st round series will generally be a Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday configuration for games 1 & 2

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks, makes sense. I will have to keep a eye out for single ticket release dates for the road games, both places are close enough to catch a game, even on a week night, barring accidents.

Hopefully we see Wells soon, haven't heard anything, just musing a weekend of games would be good for a playoff warm up and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad