Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Ice time is the best way to motivate young players. “Play your ass off on every shift you are given and you will be rewarded with more ice time.”
JR seems to be a good motivator.

Reactions: Tarantula

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I must be lucky to catch MM on good days; he was terrific on Sunday in Guelph. He works so hard at both ends of the ice, the speed and puck skills are exciting, he always wins 50/50 puck battles (I love the way he angles opposing players off the puck with his body) He never cheats you with effort.... one of my favourite OHL players of all time.

If Vella keeps up the strong play, I’m picking the Steelheads to go all the way again. I don’t care if they’re the 8th place team or not.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hope Vella can keep it going, he has never started this many games before in his entire OHL career. If the defense can keep his workload down, and the team keeps the offensive pressure up, he has a better chance to fare well.

They have been working hard across the board. This is the team I thought we would see this year.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Emanuel Vella of the Mississauga Steelheads is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending February 25 after posting a 4-0-0-0 record including two shutout victories with a goals-against-average of 1.50 and save percentage of .954.

Nicely done!!!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss, good spirited comeback, the Oshawa faithful were forecasting a defeat when the Trout tied it. Too bad the defense let a player slip behind them for the winner. That pass had eyes, didn't glance off a skate or stick and hìt the forward in motion for the breakaway.

Tippet has been stepping it up, he got physical and made a nice defensive play backchecking, and then was with the lead rush in the neutral zone. He is playing more along the lines of what he is capable of.

Things are really coming together, but goaltending will always be the issue. Who knows what Vella is really capable of, is he a legit starter? Didn't see much difference with Ingham to invoke confidence.

At least they fought back and had Oshawa worried. M McLeod looks like he is on a mission, he has been paying the price for the puck, and playing hard, as a lot of then have. Hauge hit 30 goals as well tonight.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Definitely a tough one to swallow after such an impressive comeback from being down by 4. Yeah, it looks like Harley was in position to intercept the pass but it deflected off of Noel to send Krastenbergs on the breakaway.

Tippett played great again, is that goals in 6 straight games? Also, Vella needs to work on playing the puck as it seems like he's coughed up a few goals that way.

That 3rd period showed the potential that the Steelheads can play up too, if the leaders can keep it up I'm hopeful that they can win their next few games at home and hopefully move up a spot or two in the standings

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Definitely a tough one to swallow after such an impressive comeback from being down by 4. Yeah, it looks like Harley was in position to intercept the pass but it deflected off of Noel to send Krastenbergs on the breakaway.

Tippett played great again, is that goals in 6 straight games? Also, Vella needs to work on playing the puck as it seems like he's coughed up a few goals that way.

That 3rd period showed the potential that the Steelheads can play up too, if the leaders can keep it up I'm hopeful that they can win their next few games at home and hopefully move up a spot or two in the standings

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
The Steelheads are certainly an enigma. Some times the look like world beaters others not so much.
The few guys JR brought in in January have been a good addition , the 8 or 9 rookies on the roster have been getting good meaningfull ice time and the veterans on the team are working their asses off.
Small lapses are killing them at times. Shooting the puck deep is a better option when the entry lanes are not there than trying to stick handle through three guys and turning the puck over.
They are very good when they cycle the puck
to find a shooting lane- there are some very good hands on the team.
Let’s hope they can find four points on the weekend.
They are a fun team to watch-fast and skilled.
Hope Mo gets back soon.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
It was a gutsy comeback, too bad the end result wasn't there for even a point, hoping they would tighten up the standings.

Enigma, exactly that, pretty hard to describe this season so far. That start was a real standings killer but they went on a tear then had another bad stretch after. Since then they have played better along the boards, in both zones, and have drastically cut down the dead giveaways with the puck. They usually steal the puck now, quite a few guys do have quick hands, good point Wolf.

Tougher competition all around as well this year. Trout were spanking the East last year as it ended and through the playoffs. I think both the East and the West for that matter, the last 2 teams im each conference is below .500. That's quite the gauntlet to go through to climb up. They are stepping it up at the time when you want to though, and if the D keeps tabs and the goaltending is steady, if, they have enough to be a serious player in the East.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
No sign of Moverare, not sure when he had surgery. If someone else goes down it will be a thin D lineup.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Based on what I've heard, he likely won't be back until maybe the last weekend of the regular season or even the playoffs. Without him I can't see them going far...especially with Wells out as well their defensive depth is pretty thin. Glad to see O'Grady really stepping up! He's looked a lot more comfortable in the team's system now. Sadly there is a limit on how much they can play Nic Hague per game haha

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Bad news, any word on Wells? I think it is his hand. Hopefully Moverare does come back before the playoffs. Very thin on D.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
The rookie D men are getting plenty of ice time. It will pay off next year as well as in the playoffs. It would certainly be helpful if Moverare is back for the the playoffs. Four points this weekend sure would help,

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nothing on Wells, I just hope he's back soon! Yes, we definitely need Moverare back but it could pay off for getting the rookie D some ice time. Hopefully one of Walker or Hardy can step into a top 4 role with Harley next season.

Tonight's game is huge with the Battalion struggling, every time this team has a chance to move up in the East they lose! Hope to see that trend come to an end tonight

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hopefully in regulation time as well, some strange games against NB this year. Hopefully the Trout bounce back and keep the puck away from their net. Even though Vella wasn't his best in Oshawa, the Trout gave up too many chances early on especially.

Last time here, NB fell behind 3-0, and rallied after a fight to win 5-3. Hopefully they remember that. McKinnon has been scratched lately, if he can go I would expect to see him dress tonight.

Reactions: Wolf2406

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Despite outshooting North Bay, it was a lacklustre effort tonight by the Steelheads.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Another tough one, NB getting 2 goals less then a minute apart, all they needed, thanks to the play of C Propp, and a couple of goal posts. Really liked how they played, they deserved better, but there had been many games like that this season.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Despite outshooting North Bay, it was a lacklustre effort tonight by the Steelheads.

They started off slow, but were mounting pressure afterwards. NB got 15 shots the last 2 periods, 14 in the first. The Trout were buzzing the net, just not putting it in. I saw them working hard and getting chances, but C Propp played well. Missy was the better team, just didn't see it on the score board

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
They started off slow, but were mounting pressure afterwards. NB got 15 shots the last 2 periods, 14 in the first. The Trout were buzzing the net, just not putting it in. I saw them working hard and getting chances, but C Propp played well. Missy was the better team, just didn't see it on the score board
They ran into a hot goal tender and despite playing well their goal tender let in a weak goal.
JR maybe should have shortened his bench earlier.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
They ran into a hot goal tender and despite playing well their goal tender let in a weak goal.
JR maybe should have shortened his bench earlier.
What JR should of shortened his bench earlier..
He only plays 1 1/2 lines all season

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
What JR should of shortened his bench earlier..
He only plays 1 1/2 lines all season

JR has three lines with scoring talent, and the fourth line is usually rookies. All get a good portion of ice time, even the rooks.

Prop has been rolling steady since going to NB. What a difference for them since the deadline. They were in the basement at New Years I think.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Imagine what Barrie's record would be had they kept Propp. I think NB benefited from the trades they made, they aren't a great team just a hard working team.
Mississauga is a scary skilled team but I think the injuries, age of blueline and some inconsistent goaltending early on hurt the team.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
One and a half, I believe, frankly with all due to respect to Naz, a frequent poster, I wasn't sure what he was referring to.

Nice win today, glad to see the Trout score a flurry there in the second.
Speaking of Naz, he did get me into some late night thinking. I would really like to see the McLeods and Michnac on the same line. I see what JR is thinking having three lines with quality players spread throughout, but Michnac and the McLeods would be and have been effective.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Imagine what Barrie's record would be had they kept Propp. I think NB benefited from the trades they made, they aren't a great team just a hard working team.
Mississauga is a scary skilled team but I think the injuries, age of blueline and some inconsistent goaltending early on hurt the team.

NB was near the basement at New Years, and the trades really turned them around.

Odd season here in Missy, while everything you suggested is a factor it just seems that bad things happen at the worst time, whether it be a penalty, give away, or a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad