Speculation: Mission Impossible: The search for a #1

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I said it a long time ago and I believe it now more than ever, that Hronek can become a Letang-esque #1D or something like that. Won't be perennial Norris contender, won't be an elite shutdown D, but could be great offensively, great puckmover, and good enough at D often enough that he be called a #1.
I also still believe Cholowski's ceiling is sky-high, and that he might be a guy that reaches his ceiling around 30 rather than 20-25.

Beyond those two, we keep drafting. If all we manage to draft in the top 10 are forwards, at some point we will have too many good forwards. Then you can try to do things like Yzerman already has, Drouin for Sergachev for example. Or Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones as another examples. These trades are hard, but do become more viable as you stockpile assets and start having top 10 type picks that are actually expendable. We're not there yet.

It's a long process. And to top it all off; given some recent year results I don't even know if that elite #1D is as important as people think.

Letang only is Letang because he had 2 of the top 5 centers in front of him. Teams that get away without a traditional elite #1 D tend to be deep in many other positions.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Actually being from Winnipeg and seeing 5-10 Jets games every season I have seen him quite a bit, live and on tv. :)

About 80% of 150 voters on this site disagree with you:
Jacob Trouba a real 1st pair defenceman?

As does the hockey press:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-jets-rangers-jacob-trouba-june-17-1.5179273

WIEBE: Who might make Jets best offer for Trouba?

Trouba proves value with solid season on Jets' wounded blue line

There's room for debate whether he's a #1 sure, I would argue that he is. But if you think he's a 2nd pairing dman you're out to lunch.

Being from Winnipeg doesn’t mean anything lmao. I’m best friends with Chris and Connor Hellebuyck(I actually am, FWIW), that’s doesn’t mean anything either. Most of the wings fans think Trouba is good because he’s from Rochester and put up 50 points. While the 50 points is good and all, Winnys d core was decimated with injuries.

All I’m saying is, he is a #3(can play top pair but is better suited for second pair)on good teams and a number 1 on bad teams. He had HUGE brain farts that cost Winnipeg goals this past playoffs. His IQ isn’t the best.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Being from Winnipeg doesn’t mean anything lmao. I’m best friends with Chris and Connor Hellebuyck(I actually am, FWIW), that’s doesn’t mean anything either. Most of the wings fans think Trouba is good because he’s from Rochester and put up 50 points. While the 50 points is good and all, Winnys d core was decimated with injuries.

All I’m saying is, he is a #3(can play top pair but is better suited for second pair)on good teams and a number 1 on bad teams. He had HUGE brain farts that cost Winnipeg goals this past playoffs. His IQ isn’t the best.

Well one thing is correct, you knowing Hellebuyck means absolutely nothing. My good friend went to high school with Connor and he can't explain to you how the offsides rule works.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I live in Chicago, the only hockey talk here is about the Blackhawks, I watch 10-15 of their games a season. I know more about their team than most non-Hawks fans... and many actual Hawks fans.

You being friends with some Michigan boys doesn't mean know anything about the Winnepeg Jets.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

It means exactly what I said it does, that I've seen him live many times. Now I won't pretend to be a professional scout but isn't that exactly what they do when they want to evaluate a player? They don't watch on tv.

Yes the Jets were decimated by injuries, Morrissey and Byfuglien were both out for stretches. So your buddy Connor should be the perfect person to tell you just how valuable Trouba is. He held the fort by himself and did a fantastic job. He only played half the year on PP1 and got 18 PP points. He plays the full year there we're talking 55+ points on the season. Have whatever opinion you want, he's going to prove how wrong you are.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Letang only is Letang because he had 2 of the top 5 centers in front of him. Teams that get away without a traditional elite #1 D tend to be deep in many other positions.
True enough. But I still think there's a point where a #1D is 'good enough'. A strong top 4D is probably as important if not more so than just having a #1D that's elite.
I don't have much hope we're going to land a #1D that is going to rack up Norris trophies, but a strong top 4 D? Some building blocks for that are starting to materialize.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
True enough. But I still think there's a point where a #1D is 'good enough'. A strong top 4D is probably as important if not more so than just having a #1D that's elite.
I don't have much hope we're going to land a #1D that is going to rack up Norris trophies, but a strong top 4 D? Some building blocks for that are starting to materialize.
I mean, an elite #1D would be ideal but beggars can't be choosers. I'll take any #1 at this point. What's concerning to me is that we just saw one go for a late 1st and Neal Pionk and we still couldn't pony up. Forget elite #1, swinging any kind of deal for a #1 is clearly an ongoing concern for this team.

Reactions: odin1981

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean, an elite #1D would be ideal but beggars can't be choosers. I'll take any #1 at this point. What's concerning to me is that we just saw one go for a late 1st and Neal Pionk and we still couldn't pony up. Forget elite #1, swinging any kind of deal for a #1 is clearly an ongoing concern for this team.

Man, do I feel this.

We're early in Yzerman's tenure, so it's impossible to lay this frustration on him. It's been a long time between drafting Kronwall to today, in which the Wings have failed to secure a player that can confidently hold down the top pairing. Seeing a new GM not be the first in line for Trouba, for a respectable price... good gravy, we're all so tired of this storyline.

We know Yzerman isn't happy with this blueline. So we have to trust he's got a plan in place. I think the timeline is what we're not exactly sure of. As more immediate upgrades are removed from play, we may have to accept a Ken Holland-esque slow roll.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Man, do I feel this.

We're early in Yzerman's tenure, so it's impossible to lay this frustration on him. It's been a long time between drafting Kronwall to today, in which the Wings have failed to secure a player that can confidently hold down the top pairing. Seeing a new GM not be the first in line for Trouba, for a respectable price... good gravy, we're all so tired of this storyline.

We know Yzerman isn't happy with this blueline. So we have to trust he's got a plan in place. I think the timeline is what we're not exactly sure of. As more immediate upgrades are removed from play, we may have to accept a Ken Holland-esque slow roll.

My feeling..

SY and his staff think we're a long ways off AND SY got word that Trouba wasnt wanting to sign here.

While I appreciate that GMs cant talk openly to agents or players yet, their is zero chance no info ever gets out when you go looking

Reactions: Ricelund

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Reactions: The Zermanator

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
My feeling..

SY and his staff think we're a long ways off AND SY got word that Trouba wasnt wanting to sign here.

While I appreciate that GMs cant talk openly to agents or players yet, their is zero chance no info ever gets out when you go looking

Eh, I think it's more that he was equally willing to sign here or NY. And we simply didn't have a 1st and a 25-30 point defenseman we could deal.

We can rag on Pionk all we want, but even if you think Cholo is a better player (which he isn't yet), he's not better enough to bridge the gap between 20 and 35.

So while 20 + Pionk is a really really weak offer to have won the bidding, maybe our only choices were to crazy overpay (because like Hronek and something is easily better, but we also have zero want to deal him) or not get him.

Like you're dealing at a stand at a fair that will pay you no change and trying to get something that costs $5. You've got 3 $1 and a $20. You've also not eaten dinner yet. NYR comes up behind you and they've got a $5 bill. You could either pay WAY more and get the thing you want, but be out $15 on value and go hungry or you could try with your $3 and not get it, but still be able to eat dinner. I strongly think that Detroit was the other team in the 1-2 teams that he'd sign with. Being that we're talking about hockey assets and not food, I'd have been tempted to overpay so we could land a top pairing D, but if that's the case, it is just that our assets didn't line up with what was asked and bumping up the value to snake him away from NYR would have required us doing something beyond the pale.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hamilton has been on what, three teams in the last five years? If the guy is good teams usually aren’t trying to dump him.
Dude is scared of getting hit. No thanks.

He actually gave up the puck any time Ovy came near him. Literally skated away. He makes Jensen look like Scott Stevens.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Cholowski and Hronek have plenty of track to run before we rule them out as top pairing guys. They have higher ceilings than Trouba or Pionk by far.

Pionk should look great in WPGs system. NYR have a huge decision ahead of them with Trouba.

And this board in general might want to perk up a bit and enjoy how much better 21 and 17 will be in 2 months, and 2 years, etc.

They've been undervalued by our fan base as much as Trouba has been overvalued from what i've seen on here this off-season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Cholowski and Hronek have plenty of track to run before we rule them out as top pairing guys. They have higher ceilings than Trouba or Pionk by far.

8KTtscB.jpg

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
A higher ceiling than Trouba "by far" is a Norris level ceiling. And you just said we have not one, but two of those.

That's a stretch. There are perennial all-stars that dont sniff Norris trophies, and Trouba is less than a perennial all-star so far.

I think Hronek can eclipse Brian Rafalskis impact/career if all goes right. And I think Cholowski has a lower floor but higher ceiling than Hronek.

Trouba I feel has always been accurately evaluated in the Adam Foote/Brad Stuart tier, although he is still young in an ever changing league, so I wouldnt fault someone for hoping he learns how to have more of an impact from a skating and playmaking standpoint.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
What makes you think Trouba hasnt reached, or isnt nearing his ceiling?
Why do you think it's so easy and common for a dman to reach 50+ points while playing high minutes in all situations? Is that a pedestrian achievement to you? And Cholowski and Hronek's ceilings are higher than that by far, apparently. Nice to know we got a couple of Erik Karlssons in the org...

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Why do you think it's so easy and common for a dman to reach 50+ points while playing high minutes in all situations? Is that a pedestrian achievement to you? And Cholowski and Hronek's ceilings are higher than that by far, apparently. Nice to know we got a couple of Erik Karlssons in the org...

Anyways, I never said it was easy or common. Just not out of the reach of the likes of Brad Stuart and Adam Foote.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00