Speculation: Mission Impossible: The search for a #1

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
McIsaac???
He did phenomenal in his d+1, playing half of the season with a hurt shoulder. He fixed his major complaint at the draft which was lack of offense. I would imagine we will see him in Detroit and Grand Rapids for a bit next season when he gets healthy. I am just as high on him as I am on Veleno.

Again, he can’t play in Grand Rapids. It’s either the wings or the Q

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
- If they don't think Trouba is all that good, well then they're just plain wrong. And that's very concerning moving forward from a talent evaluation perspective.
- Don't see why NYR would shoot themselves in the foot by heading off a bidding war by pricing out one of the potential bidders.
- Trouba is a 25 yr old top pairing D. He is an asset to stockpile.
- Teams were not allowed to speak to the agent beforehand, don't know how he would have found that out. And given the context of why Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg, I don't think the situation can necessarily be attributed to being 'hard to deal with'.
- Not all players want to play in their hometown, but you rarely hear of players who specifically don't want to play in their hometown. I can't think of a single one. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but weren't you one of the posters who didn't want to spend assets because you were so sure he'd want to come here for free as a UFA next year anyway?

No offense but you don’t watch Trouba that much if you think he is a top pairing Dman.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
No offense but you don’t watch Trouba that much if you think he is a top pairing Dman.
Actually being from Winnipeg and seeing 5-10 Jets games every season I have seen him quite a bit, live and on tv. :)

About 80% of 150 voters on this site disagree with you:
Jacob Trouba a real 1st pair defenceman?

As does the hockey press:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-jets-rangers-jacob-trouba-june-17-1.5179273
Trouba gives the rebuilding Rangers a legitimate top-pairing defenceman to speed their move toward being playoff contenders again.

WIEBE: Who might make Jets best offer for Trouba?
The ninth overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft has established himself as a bona fide top pairing defenceman who can play in all situations.

Trouba proves value with solid season on Jets' wounded blue line
Trouba has been a key to the top pairing for the Jets all season long, and recently has had to hold the fort while partner Josh Morrissey (shoulder) and Dustin Byfuglien (ankle) have been out for extended periods

There's room for debate whether he's a #1 sure, I would argue that he is. But if you think he's a 2nd pairing dman you're out to lunch.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
A couple of thoughts (utilizing our cap space):

Shattenkirk from NYR, maybe glean a draft pick or prospect as well

Take Neal or Frolik off Calgary's hands, with Kylington as the price

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
A couple of thoughts (utilizing our cap space):

Shattenkirk from NYR, maybe glean a draft pick or prospect as well

Take Neal or Frolik off Calgary's hands, with Kylington as the price
Wouldn't be a fan of taking on Neal's contract, 4 more years at $5.75 million, but Frolik with one of Kylington, Andersson or Valimaki is something i'm sure everyone could get behind. If we could do a deal revolving around a couple a picks and a lesser prospect, we could easily ship off a retained Frolik at the deadline and recoup a pick or two.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Personally, I would prefer Kylington/Valimaki to Bennett
I just think Bennett has more than he's shown so far, being a #4 pick. They don't all turn into superstars and some do bust, but more often than not they end up being more than 30 pt players. But I would consider Valimaki too honestly. Not really sold on Kylington. Although this is all moot because I'm not interested in Neal's contract at all.

Reactions: Winger98

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What about subban?

Lots of rumors he could be on the block and given his contract and Troubas actual return I can't see it being too expensive

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I just think Bennett has more than he's shown so far, being a #4 pick. They don't all turn into superstars and some do bust, but more often than not they end up being more than 30 pt players. But I would consider Valimaki too honestly. Not really sold on Kylington. Although this is all moot because I'm not interested in Neal's contract at all.
Yeah Neal's contract is a no go for me, although looking at Detroit's roster, he could be a prime candidate to be taken in the expansion draft :nod:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What about subban?

Lots of rumors he could be on the block and given his contract and Troubas actual return I can't see it being too expensive
3 x 9 for Subban left on his contract, He doesn't have a NTC. Probably could be had for cheap as it looks like the Preds want to go after Matt Duchene. For the right price i'd probably go after P K Subban 3 years isn't a long time.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
What about subban?

I would prefer to stay away from Subban personally. If our window to compete starts in 2-3 years, in three years time he'll be a 33 year old UFA.

Great player, just doesn't exactly fit our timeline.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would prefer to stay away from Subban personally. If our window to compete starts in 2-3 years, in three years time he'll be a 33 year old UFA.

Great player, just doesn't exactly fit our timeline.

You collect impact players at key positions when you can. Case in point, Jay Bouwmeester. 35-year-old Jay is well past his offensive impact days, but still managed to log 23:30 minutes a game throughout the playoffs. That was good for #3 on the Blues in total TOI and he was also their #3 in PK time.

Did acquiring Jay Bow when they did back in 2012 fit the Blues "timeline"? Not really. But he's a damn good player they were able to retain and build around him with younger defensive stars.

If PK was like 35, ok, I get that. But he's still well within the age the Wings should be looking to ice a competitive team.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
You collect impact players at key positions when you can. Case in point, Jay Bouwmeester. 35-year-old Jay is well past his offensive impact days, but still managed to log 23:30 minutes a game throughout the playoffs. That was good for #3 on the Blues in total TOI and he was also their #3 in PK time.

Did acquiring Jay Bow when they did back in 2012 fit the Blues "timeline"? Not really. But he's a damn good player they were able to retain and build around him with younger defensive stars.

If PK was like 35, ok, I get that. But he's still well within the age the Wings should be looking to ice a competitive team.
If we can get Subban for a reasonable price, it's something to explore for sure. My worry is that Subban will not be cheap, and will make us wish we'd overpayed to get Trouba. In an age when 35 yr old dmen are challenging for the Norris, Subban is a 30 yr old former Norris winner. The reason he would be a great addition is the same reason I think he will be costly. One relatively down year will not hurt his value all that much IMO.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'd be more interested if we didn't already have Gator and Helm sitting on our books. And Valimaki was the guy I was eyeing, too.

So much depends on the time frame Yzerman is looking at. With Holland, I think he saw the potential for a quick turn around - especially with how the forwards started turning it on last year. Fix the blueline, and they probably look at a decent season this year. Finish around 10th worse in the league, maybe get some lotto luck for a change, move some dead weight out next summer...I don't think it would have been a crazy thought process. I'm not sure Yzerman is looking at that at all, though. He might be looking at moving AA/Mantha for futures and building a lot more for further out. Which...eh, his priority.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Complete pipedream but I was looking at CapFriendly and noticed that the Ducks have a higher cap hit then I realized. They're an internal cap team too.

Cant stress enough how much I would love to pry Lindholm from them. Imagine the ask would be 6OA + but I'd seriously consider it depending on what the plus is.

Again pipedream, dont think Ducks are looking to move anyone really.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Complete pipedream but I was looking at CapFriendly and noticed that the Ducks have a higher cap hit then I realized. They're an internal cap team too.

Cant stress enough how much I would love to pry Lindholm from them. Imagine the ask would be 6OA + but I'd seriously consider it depending on what the plus is.

I would not trade the #6 pick + for him personally, but I'm probably in the minority that thinks he has been overrated largely due to where he was drafted. Dude has put up a ~31 pt pace over 82 games for his career.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

I understand where you're coming from, but Bouwmeester is also signed for just over 3 million and has not handcuffed the Blues.

I guess I overstated the timeline issue, I fear more for the contract situation in regards to the timeline. If we trade assets to get PK for 3 years, and he walks as a UFA, that's a bad scenario. If we re-sign him, it could be for 8 million+ on a contract that takes him into 35+ territory, also not my favourite scenario. I guess my real worry is the timeline of his next contract, in regards to where we are and the assets we could lose to watch him walk, right when we need him the most.

I guess I'm just looking at the negative side of this, but the contract dilemma is something I would like to avoid.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

Ducks also just saved 6 million on the cap this year with Perry's buyout, and I believe Kesler will be on LTIR as well.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I would not trade the #6 pick + for him personally, but I'm probably in the minority that thinks he has been overrated largely due to where he was drafted. Dude has put up a ~31 pt pace over 82 games for his career.

Fair enough, would argue that's due to team systems and results. But I can see where people might not see eye to eye with me on this.

The + is really the wildcard for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fair enough, would argue that's due to team systems and results. But I can see where people might not see eye to eye with me on this.

The + is really the wildcard for me.

Just feels costly to me for a guy that I don't know is going to give you a ton of offense. Would almost rather just take a swing on Broberg, who I think is a pretty similar player but maybe with more offensive upside.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I said it a long time ago and I believe it now more than ever, that Hronek can become a Letang-esque #1D or something like that. Won't be perennial Norris contender, won't be an elite shutdown D, but could be great offensively, great puckmover, and good enough at D often enough that he be called a #1.
I also still believe Cholowski's ceiling is sky-high, and that he might be a guy that reaches his ceiling around 30 rather than 20-25.

Beyond those two, we keep drafting. If all we manage to draft in the top 10 are forwards, at some point we will have too many good forwards. Then you can try to do things like Yzerman already has, Drouin for Sergachev for example. Or Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones as another examples. These trades are hard, but do become more viable as you stockpile assets and start having top 10 type picks that are actually expendable. We're not there yet.

It's a long process. And to top it all off; given some recent year results I don't even know if that elite #1D is as important as people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad