Miscellaneous NHL Talk 2017/18 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Montreal maybe? Bergevin was interested in the summer and they have the space.

*Edit* I should probably read more closely since I'm about the 4th person to discuss Montreal.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we're giving up a 2nd to get them out of having a guy with a $4.5m cap hit be assigned to the AHL and not play, then they better be taking Lehtera. And Shipachyov better be OK with playing LW.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Shipachyov is a bit of an unknown in regards to how good is he for NHL’s standards. For a $4.5M price tag for not only this year but next also that’s not something I see many teams around the league knocking down doors for.

It made sense for Vegas as cap space/salary wasn’t an issue these two years but for whatever reason it’s not working there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Montreal is apparently already out.

I wonder if Hexy's old team might be looking at Lehtera with 50% retention as a center option. They love slow guys, plus they could probably send Clifford back to offset most of the cap.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Super team, super player. He's scored enough to make his talent obvious.

They're stupid. Thought everyone realized that after the expansion draft
Consider this for a second. Jori Lehtera, who is actually a few months younger, scored at pretty much the same rate as Shipachyov, on lower scoring teams, over the 4 year period they were in the KHL together. Lehtera is signed at 4.7 through 2019.

It made sense for an expansion team with no long term commitments and a need to hit the cap floor to offer Shipachyov the contract they did. I'm willing to bet no other NHL team was offering 9 million over 2 years for him which is why he ended up in Vegas and I doubt much has changed since. If Vegas eats some of the cap hit, they might be able to cook something up.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Consider this for a second. Jori Lehtera, who is actually a few months younger, scored at pretty much the same rate as Shipachyov, on lower scoring teams, over the 4 year period they were in the KHL together. Lehtera is signed at 4.7 through 2019.

It made sense for an expansion team with no long term commitments and a need to hit the cap floor to offer Shipachyov the contract they did. I'm willing to bet no other NHL team was offering 9 million over 2 years for him which is why he ended up in Vegas and I doubt much has changed since. If Vegas eats some of the cap hit, they might be able to cook something up.

Shipachyov scored at a similar rate to other legit NHL talents on his team: Panarin, Kovalchuk, Dadonov. Unlike Lehtera, Shipachyov can skate.

It's one thing to have doubts, but to appeal to authority makes absolutely no sense in this case. McPhee and Gallant are next level stupid

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s not really appealing to authority. His contract isn’t worth the gamble for many teams around the league.

He wouldn’t be the first older KHL superstar to come over & not be as good as advertised.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
It’s not really appealing to authority. His contract isn’t worth the gamble for many teams around the league.

He wouldn’t be the first older KHL superstar to come over & not be as good as advertised.

There was a question about why Vegas was trying to trade Shipachyov, a suggestion that the franchise knows best about what sort of value the player has. That's an appeal to authority.

As for the 9 MM over 2 years, we'll see. Some pretty meh players have gotten considerably worse contracts in UFA. Flyers just traded a valuable NHL player for futures and a cap dump. There are many teams that have space

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There was a question about why Vegas was trying to trade Shipachyov, a suggestion that the franchise knows best about what sort of value the player has. That's an appeal to authority.

As for the 9 MM over 2 years, we'll see. Some pretty meh players have gotten considerably worse contracts in UFA. Flyers just traded a valuable NHL player for futures and a cap dump. There are many teams that have space

But it’s not necessarily wrong. You’re acting like he’s some established player when he’s not.

Look at the guys who have come out of the KHL lately that who were subjected to UFA rules. They’ve all been on one year deals essentially. A better player in Radulov only got a 1 year deal when initially coming over. The NHL largely just doesn’t take on that type of risk.

McKenzie already reported that a trade is going to be tough because of that second year on his contract. Not many teams are lining up for a 30 year old player with three NHL games under his belt signed at $4.5M for two years. It’s not a great gamble & I don’t personally blame them. I wouldn’t want the guy here either.

If I was Vegas I’d just play the guy as you already committed that contract to him & doubt anyone is looking to bail you out of it right now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Shipachyov scored at a similar rate to other legit NHL talents on his team: Panarin, Kovalchuk, Dadonov. Unlike Lehtera, Shipachyov can skate.

It's one thing to have doubts, but to appeal to authority makes absolutely no sense in this case. McPhee and Gallant are next level stupid
Where exactly in my post did I appeal to authority? :huh:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
But it’s not necessarily wrong. You’re acting like he’s some established player when he’s not.

Look at the guys who have come out of the KHL lately that who were subjected to UFA rules. They’ve all been on one year deals essentially. A better player in Radulov only got a 1 year deal when initially coming over. The NHL largely just doesn’t take on that type of risk.

McKenzie already reported that a trade is going to be tough because of that second year on his contract. Not many teams are lining up for a 30 year old player with three NHL games under his belt signed at $4.5M for two years. It’s not a great gamble & I don’t personally blame them. I wouldn’t want the guy here either.

If I was Vegas I’d just play the guy as you already committed that contract to him & doubt anyone is looking to bail you out of it right now.
Shipachyov is legit top6 player and easily Vegas most talented player. Any team with capspace should be looking to add him.
He's just exact opposite of Gallant style player. Gallant is very much like Hakstol and Shipachyov is kinda like their version of Weal.

If we send Read at 50% other way and waive one of Lehtera or Weise we can still get under the cap. Shipyachov could take over second line and Filps would give Patrick a legit left wing to work with. Then come trade deadline we could potentially get a pretty penny for both of them, but you know it's flyers so A it won't happening and B we will get Manning extension instead. However one team I for sure don't want him to end up with is Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad