NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
FB_IMG_1714913527403.jpg

(Of course the goalie bit at the bottom hasn't aged tremendously either)

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
While I can’t stand Boston, watching the Leafs flame out and enter what should be an insanely funny offseason is always prime entertainment.

Now please give me the entertaining final of Edmonton vs Carolina. However, since we can’t have nice things, we’ll probably get Vancouver vs the f***ing Rags and it will be 1994 all over again.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Everyone is so quick to blame the top 4 but imo it’s defense. Reilly is a 1d but aside from him they are lacking. Adding Lyubushkin and Edmunson didn’t solidly the D core in any way. It would be foolish to trade away Marner and every GM can smell blood in the water. A savvy GM would be low balling on Marner asap.
there will be many gm's calling on marner. there is no low balling

Reactions: BernieParent

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Wonder if the leafs would look at a konecny for Marner straight swap.
Toronto would jump all over that. Getting Marner w/o an extension would be silly since he's not re-signing for less than the $11 per that he's getting in Toronto right now. He's going to be a tough commodity to move for a lot of reasons.
TK is probably able to be re-signed here at a "reasonable" level. 8X8ish. Briere probably has that contract signed and in his drawer waiting to be pulled out on July 1.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I absolutely agree a good GM is calling.

Whether or not we have one of those, I don't yet know. If we do, I hope he at least waits long enough to confirm that we don't somehow jump up to #2 or #3 in the lottery. (Did my first postseason Tankathon sim just now; Anaheim #1, Philly #2. Good job, me, now we can get the possibility of that happening out of our system.)

My main issue is with the assumption that Toronto is definitely going to be able to blow it up (not just here, that's all I was hearing on hockey Twitter, too.) Sure, it's possible, but I just don't believe it's as much of a done deal that these NMCs will be waived as people think it is. If I'm Marner, frex, I think I'm looking at serving my time and being the biggest prize on next year's FA market, where I can go wherever I damn please for whatever reason pleases me, rather than to whatever specific location piqued Treliving's interest enough to ask me to waive.

The Flyers should absolutely be inquiring, though, even if I don't think Marner's enough to turn this roster around by himself, because we're not going to stumble ass-backwards into talent like Michkov again, so we need to make our own luck.
less being paid one of the highest in the leagie why would Marner even consinder for 1 iota coming to the flyers? they have pretty much zero to offer any top level player.
Toronto would jump all over that. Getting Marner w/o an extension would be silly since he's not re-signing for less than the $11 per that he's getting in Toronto right now. He's going to be a tough commodity to move for a lot of reasons.
TK is probably able to be re-signed here at a "reasonable" level. 8X8ish. Briere probably has that contract signed and in his drawer waiting to be pulled out on July 1.
there is no way the leafs consider that deal. none imo. They can do better either for picks/prospects/cap dump or NHL level players.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What a dogshit effort by Reilly on the OT winner. Leafs need to move on from Marner and Reilly and look for a true 1D.

I think the issue is more so their defense is so bad that a guy like Reilly is far & away their best player on the backend. He’s not great defensively & never has been but he can do some higher end things offensively. I would count him, McCabe, & Liljegren as really the only quality defensemen they have.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
less being paid one of the highest in the leagie why would Marner even consinder for 1 iota coming to the flyers? they have pretty much zero to offer any top level player.

Did I say he would? I'm pretty sure all I said was that Brière should do his due diligence, because that's what he's being paid to do. That said, whoever does convince Marner to waive his NMC will likely get him to do so because they're going to back up the Brinks truck; in his shoes, I wouldn't waive if that wasn't part of the deal, I'd simply play out the year and play a dozen suitors off against each other in free agency until someone paid me stupid money.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think the issue is more so their defense is so bad that a guy like Reilly is far & away their best player on the backend. He’s not great defensively & never has been but he can do some higher end things offensively. I would count him, McCabe, & Liljegren as really the only quality defensemen they have.
How's Brodie?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Marner would've been my perfect Giroux replacement. But that was years ago. He's 27 now and hasn't exactly proven to be a player that can carry a team to glory.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maybe Marner could be considered to have had a weak series? Of the top group. But it's not like he was actively bad. Sure you'd want more, but moving him is hardly assured to improve the team. Especially if they think they need to get tougher or more cultural or something.

Quick glance of stats seems to confirm what I thought I was watching; their depth was dookie.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They won’t but I think it would actually be beneficial for those guys to get out of Toronto at this point & start off fresh elsewhere. I wouldn’t have interest in Tavares at this point given his age/caphit but the rest I would definitely if I was any other team in the league.

People dogged Eichel coming out of Buffalo too & he’s been one of Vegas’ best players the last two years not just in the regular season but post season as well. So narratives can change on a dime when you’re talking talented players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad