NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
You almost have to feel bad for the Leafs at this point. Coming back from 3-1 down in the series. Taking the lead late in game 7, only to lose it again in OT.

But then again, you just know how unbearable that entitled fanbase will be if they actually win the Cup.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Would have been smoked by the Panthers, but a gutsy performance.

Obvious Matthews, and Marner weren’t healthy especially Auston.

It’s crazy, but I would roll it back. Improve the defense core, but that Tavares contract is murder. Legs are shot.

As always, the team will be held to the fire by the media for failure. The Flyers are being gushed over for “culture” after a decade of dogshit.

I’d be the Leafs any day.

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wish we had a front office who would abuse Toronto this off-season.

I’m not sure why people think anyone’s abusing that FO this off-season. Literally goddamn everyone on that team next year making $2M+ has some form of trade protection. They’re going to have to run these players out of town at gunpoint if they want them to assent to a deal.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The Leafs core is aging as well. Matthews and Marner will both be 27 next season. Nylander 28. Rielly 30. Not to mention Tavares who already looks like he's well past his prime.

I'd probably trade Marner tbh. He only has one more year on his contract and he's proven to be a pain in the ass in contract negotiations without anything to show for it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m not sure why people think anyone’s abusing that FO this off-season. Literally goddamn everyone on that team next year making $2M+ has some form of trade protection. They’re going to have to run these players out of town at gunpoint if they want them to assent to a deal.

Why? Because desperate teams with mediocre GMs do desperate things. I don’t know what’s happening with Marner, although I expect there will be teams calling. But contracts can go in as well as out.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Everyone is so quick to blame the top 4 but imo it’s defense. Reilly is a 1d but aside from him they are lacking. Adding Lyubushkin and Edmunson didn’t solidly the D core in any way. It would be foolish to trade away Marner and every GM can smell blood in the water. A savvy GM would be low balling on Marner asap.

Reactions: TheKingPin

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why? Because desperate teams with mediocre GMs do desperate things. I don’t know what’s happening with Marner, although I expect there will be teams calling. But contracts can go in as well as out.

That still doesn't resolve the point I was making, which is that they can't do those desperate things without the players' assent. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, and Rielly have full NMCs, Kampf and Jarnkrok have 10 team NTCs, McCabe has a 7 team NTC, nobody else they'd be willing to move is worth a damn thing, they're on the hook for about $69M for 16 players, and have 4 RFAs and 11 UFAs, counting the players on LTIR. They can, just barely, field a team with players under contract if they resign all their RFAs and don't attempt to replace anyone (well, presuming they're OK with a 12th string minor league goalie as their backup; Woll's the only NHL goalie under contract for next year, so they almost have to sign someone there.)

It's certainly possible that the players get sick of the situation and agree to be shipped out of town, and if that happens, they're probably driving the bus in terms of where they go, so yeah, the value will be wretched. But absent that, they don't have the flexibility to actually blow up their core; they can potentially wait another year for Tavares (and Marner, if they don't extend him) to hit UFA, but for now, they are severely limited unless their players are just done with them.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Everyone is so quick to blame the top 4 but imo it’s defense. Reilly is a 1d but aside from him they are lacking. Adding Lyubushkin and Edmunson didn’t solidly the D core in any way. It would be foolish to trade away Marner and every GM can smell blood in the water. A savvy GM would be low balling on Marner asap.

Jesus Christ, imagine if the Flyers completely sweep him away. I know Briere isn't that smart but f*** me, I'd go for it.

Reactions: Angry Hockey Dad

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That still doesn't resolve the point I was making, which is that they can't do those desperate things without the players' assent. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, and Rielly have full NMCs, Kampf and Jarnkrok have 10 team NTCs, McCabe has a 7 team NTC, nobody else they'd be willing to move is worth a damn thing, they're on the hook for about $69M for 16 players, and have 4 RFAs and 11 UFAs, counting the players on LTIR. They can, just barely, field a team with players under contract if they resign all their RFAs and don't attempt to replace anyone (well, presuming they're OK with a 12th string minor league goalie as their backup; Woll's the only NHL goalie under contract for next year, so they almost have to sign someone there.)

It's certainly possible that the players get sick of the situation and agree to be shipped out of town, and if that happens, they're probably driving the bus in terms of where they go, so yeah, the value will be wretched. But absent that, they don't have the flexibility to actually blow up their core; they can potentially wait another year for Tavares (and Marner, if they don't extend him) to hit UFA, but for now, they are severely limited unless their players are just done with them.

I think players waiving their NTCs isn’t ultra rare. Hockey culture is weird. When someone asks to waive their NTC, it’s almost considered dishonorable to do otherwise (Giroux exercising his NTC at the deadline was taken as some grave offense). The team is telling you they don’t want you — some players will take that personally. Marner is a free agent in a year too. Do I think it’s likely? I don’t know, but a good GM is calling. A good GM is also asking shopping Laughton, Ristolainen, etc. to the Leafs.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think players waiving their NTCs isn’t ultra rare. Hockey culture is weird. When someone asks to waive their NTC, it’s almost considered dishonorable to do otherwise (Giroux exercising his NTC at the deadline was taken as some grave offense). The team is telling you they don’t want you — some players will take that personally. Marner is a free agent in a year too. Do I think it’s likely? I don’t know, but a good GM is calling. A good GM is also asking shopping Laughton, Ristolainen, etc. to the Leafs.

I absolutely agree a good GM is calling.

Whether or not we have one of those, I don't yet know. If we do, I hope he at least waits long enough to confirm that we don't somehow jump up to #2 or #3 in the lottery. (Did my first postseason Tankathon sim just now; Anaheim #1, Philly #2. Good job, me, now we can get the possibility of that happening out of our system.)

My main issue is with the assumption that Toronto is definitely going to be able to blow it up (not just here, that's all I was hearing on hockey Twitter, too.) Sure, it's possible, but I just don't believe it's as much of a done deal that these NMCs will be waived as people think it is. If I'm Marner, frex, I think I'm looking at serving my time and being the biggest prize on next year's FA market, where I can go wherever I damn please for whatever reason pleases me, rather than to whatever specific location piqued Treliving's interest enough to ask me to waive.

The Flyers should absolutely be inquiring, though, even if I don't think Marner's enough to turn this roster around by himself, because we're not going to stumble ass-backwards into talent like Michkov again, so we need to make our own luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad