Misc. NHL Talk 2017/18 Regular Season: Chapter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tavares would not make a huge difference, b/c to get him his minutes you'd have to reduce Couts and Patrick, so there would be a limited net gain. And you'd have to keep Simmonds in 2018-19 (doesn't make sense to sign Tavares to be your 3C then give him dreck like MV or a raw checking forward like NAK).

What would make far more sense if you're going to blow the cap to win now would be to add a top RHD.

What makes the most sense is to be patient, because in two years Frost will be the 3C with Laczynski, Allison or Ratcliffe, and Vorobyev will be the 4C with Laughton, NAK or Strome. And you won't have to pay them $12M for 7 years (well, eventually over 2-3 RFA contracts).

Reactions: IronMarshal

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Can he play wing or is he way too good at faceoffs to not have him at center?

He can slide between LW and center. Doesn't preclude him from taking face-offs.

Still signed for 5 years @ $7.5 mil per year. Buffalo would have to eat at least $1 mil before I'd even remotely consider considering. He's not a great skater and that could be an issue in his 30s, but he's only signed until age 31. He's had a 5v5 point/60 of 1.42, 1.38, and now 1.1 the last 3 years. That's a scary trend down to 4th line territory for 1st line money, although his metrics are still very good (that's the saving grace). We are talking about by far the worst 5v5 team in hockey. Separating him individually from that mess is hard. Besides Eichel, everyone scores at 3rd line numbers at best, and he didn't play with Eichel at all this year. But ROR is still 9th in p/60. As that article showed, there's clearly a psychological weight on him in Buffalo. I'm not saying a rebound is impossible.

ROR has always been a tad overrated, and he was never worth close to $7.5 mil. I'll admit to liking him in his glory days in Colorado, and he still usually passes my eye test, especially on Team Canada. But that's assuming a lot of risk for someone we might not need and who will be, at best, 3C-2LW (though I'm sure he'd get a lot of minutes still). He's also always been PP dependent. So he has to play PP1 to even sniff close to getting value. I'd much prefer to get someone more cost effective who can light it up 5v5 as a bridge to Vorobyev and Frost. And if you trade for him, and Buffalo eats money to boot, you are giving up high quality assets to get him. I'm sure Hakstol and Hextall would eat him up though. And I'm sure they'd like him as a main PKer. I legitimately think Hexy would make a call -- several -- on him. Maybe in a pre-Patrick world it sounds more tempting, but in a post-Patrick world, I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
yeah , probably not a better example of that then the Penguins. terrible losing culture. oh wait looks what happens when they have talent. Winning and losing comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only. Talent.

They acquired the best player for about the previous decade and another not so far off that. Malkin and Crosby is going to turn around any franchise.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Tavares is terrific; if he's not a top 10 center then he's pretty damn close.

And if we sign him, he's not your 3C (LMAO), he's your #1.
It goes something like:

Giroux-Tavares-X
X-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-X
X-Laughton-X

That said I'm not super interested in signing him. I do think the Flyers would have a really good shot at winning the Cup next year with him and would probably be favorites to win at least one from 2019-2021.

I'd rather take a shot at a lower-tier FA, or maybe 2.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Giroux-Tavares-X
X-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-X
X-Laughton-X
Giroux with Coots was maybe the best duo in the league in this season. So I could swap Tavares with Coots.

But still. HOLY MAMA! That lineup, wow.

With Konecny, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, maybe Morin, maybe Myers. f***ing crazy. We would be contender without a doubt.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I didn't realize Backlund (love him) signed an extension with Calgary. The UFA list for the summer isn't amazing tbh. I guess you could kick the tires on Stastny or Eller or Kovy but they probably want too much money. I'd settle for Grabner or a non-glamorous 2nd-pairing type D guy.

There are a bunch of bad teams that are probably ripe to make some bad trades, like Edmonton and Ottawa, and I'd hope Hextall is burning up the phone lines as soon as the season is over.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Ottawa has to sell with a rebuild in mind especially if Karlsson wants out which it’s appears so. In that case it’s going to be harder to rip them off as they’ll be in the all out selling position.

In regards to Edmonton I don’t even know what they have at this point that they’d realistically part with that makes sense for the Flyers. I guess Klefbom would make some sense to target but he’s another LHD.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It goes something like:

Giroux-Tavares-X
X-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-X
X-Laughton-X

That said I'm not super interested in signing him. I do think the Flyers would have a really good shot at winning the Cup next year with him and would probably be favorites to win at least one from 2019-2021.

Couts is better than Tavares, right now, not only did he outscore him at ES, he's a much better defensive player.
Patrick will be better than Tavares in a couple years, once he fills out and figures out the NHL. There's a reason he went #2.
Which isn't saying Tavares isn't a top center (though I'm not sure he's top 10), rather, we got that one covered.
And with Frost in the wings, it isn't exactly a priority position.

Nor would Tavares put this team over the top, he wouldn't add defensive depth or fix the goalies.
He wouldn't even be enough to field three solid lines unless we keep Simmonds.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
No thanks to ROR. Is it still possible to buy low on Reinhart?

Can't really buy low anymore. He has been ~ppg player for about 40 games now. He would be fairly costly and wouldn't add a ton to the team. I'd look elsewhere.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Simmer's got a new Players Tribune article about his experiences in hockey growing up and how Willie O'Ree came to be an idol for him.

I wasn't sure if I should start a thread about it because it doesn't really relate to the Flyers specifically and is more about his personal experiences.

The Astronaut | By Wayne Simmonds
This is an amazing piece, well written and very truthful as if I needed another reason to love Wayne Simmonds, I would absolutely love to meet his parents shake their hands, their wisdom, grace and sacrifice is amazing and inspirational, Mr and Mrs Simmonds you did an awesome job

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux with Coots was maybe the best duo in the league in this season. So I could swap Tavares with Coots.

With Konecny, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, maybe Morin, maybe Myers. ****ing crazy. We would be contender without a doubt.
In this fantasy world, first I go to the Caps and see if they would trade Holtby for 1 of our 1sts. Adding JT does very little if we still have our current goaltending. And yes I know he had a shit year, but I risk 1 st to have a real #1 the next 2 years to hopefully bridge to Hart.

Sad that AMac and either Elliot or Neuvirth covers his cap hit and more.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
In this fantasy world, first I go to the Caps and see if they would trade Holtby for 1 of our 1sts. Adding JT does very little if we still have our current goaltending. And yes I know he had a **** year, but I risk 1 st to have a real #1 the next 2 years to hopefully bridge to Hart.

Sad that AMac and either Elliot or Neuvirth covers his cap hit and more.
Hmm, good idea! Holtby for 2 years would be really great for us.

But with these f***ing bad coach (Dave Haktard) I maybe still rather have 3 f***ing great NHL lines and he couldn't put Lehtera/Filppula lines against Crosby etc. And it would be higher chances for us I think.

Or else.

We need f***ing good NHL coach. Our main and big problem. I know that you know that too.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Simmonds' piece was great.

I'm not ruling out Patrick being as good as Tavares, but I think that's a really optimistic projection.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

With Konecny, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, maybe Morin, maybe Myers. ****ing crazy. We would be contender without a doubt.

With Elliott as the #1 next year, we are still not serious contenders, therefore signing Tavares is the wrong move.

Signing Doughty the following summer with Carter Hart ready to take the reigns makes more sense to me. Then you trade a young dmen for more assets and to make room for Doughty; who I guarantee ages better than JT anyway.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

It goes something like:

Giroux-Tavares-X
X-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-X
X-Laughton-X

Has Patrick ever played wing? Just spitballing here but lets say in fantasyland we sign Tavares. Could Patrick slide into either that top line RW spot or the second line LW spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad