Misc. NHL Talk 2017/18 Regular Season: Chapter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had a discussion with a buddy the other day about the best skaters in the history of the NHL. He was adamant that Bure was top 3 but I disagreed.

Top 3: Orr, McDavid, Perreault. AINEC

ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The thing with Bure is not many players could skate as fast as him & make the moves/plays he did at that speed.

I won’t speak on the whole history of hockey because well I’m not old enough to. But Bure was one of the most entertaining players of his generation because of his dynamic skillset.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I assume he means Gilbert, but I'm too young to have ever actually watched him

I'm a tad too young myself, but my uncle was a huge French Connection fan and had a collection of tapes of him playing that I watched a lot as a kid.

Reactions: kudymen

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The thing with Bure is not many players could skate as fast as him & make the moves/plays he did at that speed.

He was one of my all-time favorite non-Flyers. Not that anyone cares, but the top of that list is something like:

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Trevor Linden
3. Teppo Numminen
4. Pavel Bure

I usually put Dale Hawerchuk in there, because I always forget he played for us lol

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was one of my all-time favorite non-Flyers. Not that anyone cares, but the top of that list is something like:

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Trevor Linden
3. Teppo Numminen
4. Pavel Bure

I usually put Dale Hawerchuk in there, because I always forget he played for us lol

He was probably my favorite non-Flyer player ever growing up.

1. Pavel Bure
2. Paul Kariya
3. Brian Leetch

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can look past team affiliations and appreciate a players skill, but man it is tough to appreciate a career Ranger.

I mean it’s not like I was rooting for their teams. I just enjoyed watching them play.

I’m not old so the Rangers didn’t/don’t bother me as much because they weren’t that good for most of my life. They took a backseat to the Devils back then & the Pens this current era for me.

For Leetch though I just liked him because he played defense & was American. I liked him over say Chelios who was probably the other face defensemen for USA Hockey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I had a discussion with a buddy the other day about the best skaters in the history of the NHL. He was adamant that Bure was top 3 but I disagreed.

Top 3: Orr, McDavid, Perreault. AINEC

Bure is pretty handily over Perreault. Hell, so is Gretzky, the guy was absurdly agile.

Or are you referring to Gilbert Perreault instead of Matt? If so, I've not seen him play.

On our end I think Howe and Ghost have it wrapped up.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Bure is pretty handily over Perreault. Hell, so is Gretzky, the guy was absurdly agile.

Or are you referring to Gilbert Perreault instead of Matt? If so, I've not seen him play.

On our end I think Howe and Ghost have it wrapped up.

Gilbert

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bure wasn't as smooth of a skater as Perreault. Faster? Yeah probably. But that is why I said "best".

See, I think speed counts for something. The ability to just be faster than everyone else and make plays at that speed is a huge advantage. Young Ovechkin could just overpower defenders with his speed, and close on goalies faster than they could adjust their position to maximize his chances of scoring, for instance. IMHO TBH LOL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Are you going relative to peers? Otherwise it’s basically 3 guys from the last 15 years. If so, I want to say Cournoyer is worthy of the discussion, but I didn’t see his career in real time. That makes it a lot tougher.

I’ll be biased and throw Fedorov as an easy top 3 for me in my lifetime, though.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Since others have done it, my favorite 3 non-Flyers:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Gilbert Perreault
3. Alex Ovechkin

Orr is right near there on mine too, probably 5th, and I always rate him as the best hockey player of all time. I'm not going to lie, I don't really try very hard to see past my bone marrow-deep hatred of Lemieux and Gretzky, but even so, I think he was the greatest.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
:laugh:

That makes WAY more sense. I haven't seen him play unfortunately.

I was born in the mid-90s so I didn't see him live either, just from a mountain of VHS tapes from my Buffalonian? uncle.

I'm no expert but his skating is like an old school McDavid. He had that extra jump that few had to go along with some next level stick handling. Maybe he wasn't the absolutely fastest but he may have been the smoothest.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad