News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
You can wonder but if you follow the team you know there isn’t much that can be done for another year.

He’ll want to win like everyone else. He’s not a hockey guy so he won’t be directing personnel moves. He can remove Shanahan, Treliving can remove Keefe, that’s it for anything major.
like i said:
core changes
keefe fired
shanny fired

pretty major to me. you seem confused

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can wonder but if you follow the team you know there isn’t much that can be done for another year.

As far as all we know, yes.

I think it would take a big change of heart on some player's part to make a drastic change.

At the same time, the kind of thing we need, an impact RD hardly ever become available, even looking at next summer when the money does free up....

Most guys are past their best before dates, are a left shot or probably won't even hit UFA.

1712880601916.png

Reactions: BayStBullies

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
P
Dont get tunnel vision.
have teams ever went to the player and asked them to waive their NTC?
Leafs perform horribly .. mitch plays like crap. both meet and both want a breakup.
there you go jim
i don’t know of any in a similar situation as here. Sure anything could happen but that seems very remote, certainly not something to bet on.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dont get tunnel vision.
have teams ever went to the player and asked them to waive their NTC?
Leafs perform horribly .. mitch plays like crap. both meet and both want a breakup.
there you go jim
He's a Marner fan not a Leaf fan. Since Domi has proven he's a great setup man for Matthews, he's made Marner irrelevant. Let Marner walk, gain $11 million plus Marner's expected raise in cap space towards a real # D and goalie.

NTC in that case is irrelevant.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
P

i don’t know of any in a similar situation as here. Sure anything could happen but that seems very remote, certainly not something to bet on.
when the team only wins 1 series in 7 years, I'd probably put odds in favour

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
you gotta read

you questioned how a core piece could be traded due to NMC.. i gave you a realistic possibility of how it can happen with Marner. Team would only win 1 series in 8 years. A core piece being moved can happen if they want it to.
I must have missed it. Do you mean they’ll ask is the realistic possibility?
So not the core, just Marner?

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I guess the only thing this article is alluding to would br a change at president. Which really has no translation with the immediate on ice product.

I’ll just say it’s kind of hilarious that nylander was just a few months ago signed to an 8 year 11 million dollar deal with all the nmc bells and whistles and here we are reading an article about some supposed “big” what-if changes..

LOL

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Hopefully we win the cup, and we don't have to worry about MLSE screwing things up and setting us back even more than they already did last offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLegend

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
To be honest I'm surprised that Shanahan hasn't been ditched already.

Hockey ops was finally given the go ahead to tank and rebuild, got lucky enough to draft some really great players, and proceeded to do nothing with them because their rookie GM whizkid got taken to the cleaners repeatedly.

If they don't do something in the playoffs this year it is frankly long overdue for politician Shanahan to take the fall and Keefe will be gone along with him thankfully.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Seems like peculiar timing if true.

I believe this is the first we've ever heard anyone with sourcing stating "as fact" that ownership is unhappy with the one-ice failures of this team, and it comes just days after Pelley steps into his new role. And from what I understand about him he doesn't seem like the type that would intentionally leak a story like this to the media (let's face it, much of these "scoops" are intentional leaks), so a bit of a head scratcher unless Mirtle really did get an off-hand comment somehow or got his hands on an insider email?

Perhaps the top brass at MLSE just want to cushion the fans from another disappointing post-season by letting us know "Hey don't worry loyal consumers/fans, if they fail again we'll appease your thirst for (figuratively speaking) bodies to fall with (figuratively speaking) heads on a spike."

Reactions: Brobust and ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are they quoting someone or is that Mirtles speculation?

Seems like someone just looking for attention
Probably someone from Pelley's camp .. I have not heard a word about this from either sponsor side of things or from player side of things .. all everyone was talking about on player side was Brodie has played himself off playoff roster with his game last night BUT everyone knows Keefer likes him and is supportive of his personal struggles

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Win-win situation. They either win and shut everybody up or they lose early and we get to turn the page on this failed era of Leafs hockey.

Although I really have no logical reason, I'm strangely optimistic about the Leafs this year. I think they're gonna make noise.

Hopefully we win the cup, and we don't have to worry about MLSE screwing things up and setting us back even more than they already did last offseason.
Please do tell how the Leafs were set back last off-season?

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
To be honest I'm surprised that Shanahan hasn't been ditched already.

Hockey ops was finally given the go ahead to tank and rebuild, got lucky enough to draft some really great players, and proceeded to do nothing with them because their rookie GM whizkid got taken to the cleaners repeatedly.

If they don't do something in the playoffs this year it is frankly long overdue for politician Shanahan to take the fall and Keefe will be gone along with him thankfully.
the major changes i would love to see if they fail again in the 1st round. Easiest to fire mgm/coaches first then players next. been enough patience here. 1 series win in 8 seasons is some real putrid work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad