News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Hyman was for sure bringing down the two superstars while he was here.

It's all his fault the team couldn't win a round. If only they had another $11M winger they could've played in his place. Someone capable of scoring forty goals and eighty points.

Oh wait, that sounds an awful lot like Hyman, except he only makes half that amount.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
None of Toronto, Florida or Boston would be going into a series against any of the other as the "worse" team. They are all a coin flip. It will just be a matter of which team gets hot at the right time, and which team gets luckier.
You must be reading a different board than I. Seems all season I’ve read we are not as good as Boston, Florida.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You must be reading a different board than I. Seems all season I’ve read we are not as good as Boston, Florida.
Because a good chunk of the fan base only wants to be critical of the team, but I can guarantee you that in the series prediction thread for the first round 90% of the people on this board will pick the leafs.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Weird that when someone like Matthews is injured he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

PPG is the big difference... unless this year becomes the norm, but I think it will be an outlier.

He had 15 in 43 before he left and only 3 PPG.

Minus this outlier, his best season was 36 in 79 and 15 were on the PP.

Not to mention McDavid is primarily a facilitator and Matthews is primarily a scorer... big difference.
Every time Matthews is in a slump, people here start talking about his wrist, how he doesn't seem to able to shoot the puck the way he can and that's he's probably injured. Weird that you don't see those posts.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Not to say its impossible but probability of trading either Matthews, Marner or Nylander is pretty close to zero with their full NMCs and NTCs

Only option would be to let Marner walk as a UFA if they really want a core change
Matthews and Nylander are not going anywhere. They just signed new deals. If the Leafs bow out in the first round again, Marner is the likely guy they go to if they want to shake things up cuz he only has a year left on his deal. Letting Marner walk in UFA would be a blunder

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews and Nylander are not going anywhere. They just signed new deals. If the Leafs bow out in the first round again, Marner is the likely guy they go to if they want to shake things up cuz he only has a year left on his deal. Letting Marner walk in UFA would be a blunder
Why is Nylander 'not going anywhere' but Marner is 'likely'?
They both have the same restrictions and if a choice were to be made they would hopefully choose to keep the better player.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
They both have the same restrictions and if a choice were to be made they would hopefully choose to keep the better player.
Which is why we'll keep Nylander!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Every time Matthews is in a slump, people here start talking about his wrist, how he doesn't seem to able to shoot the puck the way he can and that's he's probably injured. Weird that you don't see those posts.
If Mathews has a injury it’s not his wrist, it’s his commitment to putting in the effort every game, I can’t understand how someone so talented can just mail it in on occasions, I mean he’s either killing it or doing nothing……..

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
marner would be more attractive in the market place. They just signed Nylander few months ago, the odds of them going to him so quickly to work out a deal are lower odds IMO compared to Marner.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Neither Willie nor Mitch are moving. Tre will stay the course with these guys and try to re-adjust when JT is gone and there is some more cap growth.

Last edited:

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I don't know what the solution is, but I think these two things can be true at the same time: (1) it made sense to keep the core together, as individually, they are highly talented players and you need talented players to win, and; (2) the experiment may have run its course, and it's time to try something different while we still have Auston Matthews breaking records.

I would've liked to see a coaching change last off-season, but I understand the tumultuous nature of the changeover in the general manager position meant Treliving needed time to assess this team, in addition to giving the "core" group of guys another opportunity.

With all that being said, it's easier said than done. All of these players have trade protection. None may waive it to move.

Maybe the play is to wait until the Tavares contract expires, and try to use some of the salary cap this off-season to address the blueline, with a view to signing or acquiring another second line center in the future. I've been a defender of JT, but if you really do want to change the leadership and the voices in the room, maybe you let him go when his contract is up, even if he is willing to sign at a discount.

Reactions: weems

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
View attachment 851893

Those are Hyman's line stats with and without McDavid over the last two playoffs.

Hyman + McDavid = very good
McDavid w/o Hyman = good
Hyman w/o McDavid = bad
Without either = bad

Hyman is for sure benefitting from linemates and the PP (around the same ESP as Marner/Matthews but played 10 more games)

Anyway, I agree the convo is over... just weird how much people hype up former players to tear down current ones.
I think the stats pretty much show how much better McDavid is than our stars if he can make a lump of coal like Hyman into a diamond. Why couldn't MM and AM do that?

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and egd27

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nope. His NMC was made to kick in at the time of signing.
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you but he is already under a contract. I am not clear how he can sign a new deal that somehow adjusts one of the terms of his existing deal while everything else kicks in on July 1st. I would like to see how a deal within a deal is created.

Edit NM. Found the reference.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
marner would be more attractive in the market place. They just signed Nylander few months ago, the odds of them going to him so quickly to work out a deal are lower odds IMO compared to Marner.
As a pending UFA you would think he would have less value.

** the odds of them trading any of them is very low.

Willie can still be traded against his wishes. He is on a MNT to July 1st

They don't need to go to him to work anything out unless its for a deal to one of the 10 clubs on his list. The biggest deterrent is the contract they signed him to and the massive signing bonuses due.
Nylander is also now NMC like the rest.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you but he is already under a contract. I am not clear how he can sign a new deal that somehow adjusts one of the terms of his existing deal while everything else kicks in on July 1st. I would like to see how a deal within a deal is created.
The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta reiterated that Nylander has a full NMC in his eight year deal, but one of the best features for Nylander and his camp is that the NMC will actually take effect immediately, meaning that the Leafs will not have the opportunity to move Nylander before his new deal kicks in.

Wow. If this was where they ended up I wonder what Willie's starting point was :huh: Kind of seems like a wish list of terms.

Reactions: OddyOh

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
When you go into a series against a better team than you, how can a loss be disappointing? May as well say if we don’t get lucky and win heads will roll. lol!
Or you could say we need changes so we are not going into a series against a better team

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Me too. I'm beginning to believe that I'll be 6 feet under and our Leafs will be no closer to winning another SC since I was 12 in 1967 !!!
The solution is to make a deal with the devil - your soul for not passing away until the Leafs win the cup, in which case you will be immortal and never have to pay up.

• Haha
Reactions: Al14

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Really have no choice if he wants to stay, we get nothing. It is what it is.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Really have no choice if he wants to stay, we get nothing. It is what it is.
There's choices. If Tre wants to allocate that money somewhere else he will go down that avenue to explore, especially if Marner's camp says this is my price tag for next extension and it doesnt work. If he wants to play it safe until JT expires, he can do that too. But if Leafs misfire again these playoffs, that will be 1 series win in 8 years. Sooner or later, gotta make some moves.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad