Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
No, please enlighten me.
I`m trying to figure out what AV is doing - all this make no sense.. And our new defensive coach looks clueless unless Holden start next game. We had no structure against Leafs for 20 min. pond hockey, I quoted AV in his post game interview.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
No, please enlighten me.
I`m trying to figure out what AV is doing - all this make no sense.. And our new defensive coach looks clueless unless Holden start next game. We had no structure against Leafs for 20 min. pond hockey, I quoted AV in post game interview.
We were winning 4-2 with 10 minutes left. We lost the game 5-4 in regulation. Total collapse.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m fine with that @Revel - they are all young players and part of the learning experience so it can happen, and it will probably happen again. Positives that we scored 4 goals though.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, that`s why I`m not updated with Wolfpack. But who scores for us last game @Revel ?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah, I just saw the highlights - Tube with 240p! :)

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
yeah, I just saw the highlights - Tube with 240p! :)
Yep. Typical AHL with their crap cameras.

Would be nice if Lehigh Valley brings cameras to Hartford today. We'll get High Def highlights if that's the case (at least on the Phantoms website). I know the last two seasons the games @ Lehigh Valley had HD highlights.

Reactions: Ori

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Schneider definitely belongs in the top-6, DeSalvo and Catenacci however, does not.

I don't know about DeSalvo. 40 points in 66 games as a rookie pro last year. 40 point seasons in the AHL are pretty good. For most teams that's a 2nd line player. He's small and on an AHL contract but he's not exactly a non-talent.

When I look at some of the changes to the Hartford roster from last year--the loss of Hrivik, Beck and Jensen who were their best offensive players---the Rangers obviously did not want to repeat another last place finish with a team that was extremely challenged to put up goals. That's why the firing of Gernander and the signings of Schneider, Carey (another point a game player), Whitney (who had an off year offensively but a lot of past success), DeSalvo (a youngish guy who had a productive rookie year). Instead of Carey they end up with Puempel--at least for now. They might have Carey too after Fast gets back. Kosmachuk and Catenacci have been around too--probably better suited as third liners. Selleck is muscle--and the AHL is a nastier league to play in than the NHL. Truth is you don't want Ryan Graves being your go to guy when it comes to defending teammates from legit goons.

I'll note that I was more impressed with what I saw from Tambellini than Gropp in preseason. Gropp is very important in the Rangers future plans though so I think he will get a fair shot. He's got a sneaky release and a knack for finding soft areas. As for Nieves the main thing is he gets ice time. He looks more like a checking forward than a scoring one. I'm not worried all that much about his offense because I see him in another role.

Reactions: Revel

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You might be right about DeSalvo, still don't like these lines at all... Biggest issue is obviously where the rookies are, hopefully it changes quickly.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
No...it's really not.

Just because your homeboy Fontaine isn't playing in every game doesn't mean the coach is bad.

Chill.

It's not just that, it's the lines as a whole, and to me it's a very bad sign..

Edit: Like, why is Gropp on the 4th line with Fogarty and Selleck? That makes no sense.
Gropp has legitimate NHL upside, his best quality is his shot and his ability to get open, so maybe give him a playmaker?! No?
Why is Catenacci on the top line?! Like come on.

This is definitely a bad sign.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not just that, it's the lines as a whole, and to me it's a very bad sign..

Edit: Like, why is Gropp on the 4th line with Fogarty and Selleck? That makes no sense.
Gropp has legitimate NHL upside, his best quality is his shot and his ability to get open, so maybe give him a playmaker?! No?
Why is Catenacci on the top line?! Like come on.

This is definitely a bad sign.

My initial reaction to why Selleck might be playing is that Lehigh Valley always has some tough guys in their lineup. But apart from Tyrell Goulbourne there really isn't very much on their current team--so IMO this would be definitely a game I would sit Selleck. Another reason might be that Fontaine is banged up. Who knows. You're always guessing.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, fair points... But even if these are the 12F you play, these lines are terribly constructed for the most part.
Give Gropp a talented passer, not Fogarty and Selleck... Don't play Catenacci on your top line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad