Minnesota Wild General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
(during the regular season.) What is a good enough coach? Bruce is one of the winningest coaches in NHL history but he can't pick his assistants? This is a power move, plain and simple.
You have no idea WTF you're talking about because you spend zero actual time with the team. What if every player on the roster said that they didn't think he was a good coach? What if the players can't stand his PP? Would it still be "plain and simple" then?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You have no idea WTF you're talking about because you spend zero actual time with the team. What if every player on the roster said that they didn't think he was a good coach? What if the players can't stand his PP? Would it still be "plain and simple" then?

You have no idea how I spend my time. But you assume Ryan Suter and Jonas Brodin and all the rest of the guys went to the GM and said we hate John Anderson and Paul Fenton declined to renew his contract, over the objections of the coach? Or is it more likely that Fenton has an assistant in mind so that he can have his own presence in there? Go back and read Russo's article on Bruce and John's friendship and tell me again that this is a pure hockey move. If you still believe that people don't make moves for personal reasons, I'll have no choice but to accept it.

To me, it's a shit-stirring move to establish the pecking order. Probably what a new GM should do, but an aggressive move, nonetheless.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I do think it's almost certain that replacing one of the assistants is a move for Fenton to put one of his own guys in the room. I think it's less certain that it was Anderson because of his closeness to Boudreau, but it's hard to rule it out.

I have to say though, pulling a power move on Boudreau seems a little like pulling one on a golden retriever.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Meh, his contract was up and not renewed. He might be BB's buddy, but they really don't have a coaching history together before the Wild. Anderson has a good history as a developmental head coach, but nothing spectacular at the NHL level. Sometimes guys don't really translate well to the NHL, maybe it is something as simple as the message/delivery that works for kids/prospects is lost on 10 year NHL vets?

I thought Darby was the PP coach? Whoever it was doesn't deserve to be brought back. The PP was streaky last year, good or bad, but not much in between. Even when it was good it wasn't because of the o-zone setup, but more because the transition game worked well.

The not re-hire could also be a message to the players (depending on how much Anderson was liked), as much as to BB. I do wonder who made the call on several PP decisions:
-ZP gets prime PP time right as soon as he hit the ice.
-How Coyle ended up playing the point late in the season.
-Whatever Zucker was doing wandering around half the time.
-The inability to make adjustments and be completely predictable every game.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
They usually wouldn't phrase it "not having your contract renewed" if it was.[/QUOTE

I think you're probably right. My point wasn't my literal statement. It was simply to add another layer of idle speculation to a laundry list of idle speculations (granted some of the "speculations" offered as evidentiary facts.).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Fenton and BB didn't talk about this earlier, then it's a giant shot across the bow. For a coach of BB's stature, pretty insulting. Still wonder if there was more to Scott Stevens leaving.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If Fenton and BB didn't talk about this earlier, then it's a giant shot across the bow. For a coach of BB's stature, pretty insulting. Still wonder if there was more to Scott Stevens leaving.
You can't just make that assumption. I know you said "if", but maybe Bruce was for it, we have no idea. Feels like over-speculating to me.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Sometimes working with friends doesn't always work so well. Anderson hadn't been in the NHL for a while had he? Maybe just wasn't a good fit. No idea what actually happened/happens unless they talk about it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You have no idea how I spend my time. But you assume Ryan Suter and Jonas Brodin and all the rest of the guys went to the GM and said we hate John Anderson and Paul Fenton declined to renew his contract, over the objections of the coach? Or is it more likely that Fenton has an assistant in mind so that he can have his own presence in there? Go back and read Russo's article on Bruce and John's friendship and tell me again that this is a pure hockey move. If you still believe that people don't make moves for personal reasons, I'll have no choice but to accept it.

To me, it's a ****-stirring move to establish the pecking order. Probably what a new GM should do, but an aggressive move, nonetheless.
I didn't/don't assume anything. You're the guy making definitve statements with zero facts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'm not sure there was anything more to SS leaving than he wanted to be home more.
-He has a cushy gig with NHL network. I've no clue on how the pay compares, but it has to be less stressful, less travel, and regular hours.
-His name hasn't really been mentioned in coaching searches/interviews (that I've seen).
-He hasn't taken another coaching position. Minor league HC, NHL assistant coach, etc. I'd guess that he's been offered something in the past year.

SS might toss his hat back in the ring someday for a coaching position, but if it's not this off-season then I really can't say something in MN pushed him away.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can't just make that assumption. I know you said "if", but maybe Bruce was for it, we have no idea. Feels like over-speculating to me.
So you acknowledged that I said "if" , then commented as if I hadn't?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So GMPF hires his buddy/mentor Jack Ferreira? At least he has a good track record. That's about all I can really say about something that doesn't mean much too me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So GMPF hires his buddy/mentor Jack Ferreira? At least he has a good track record. That's about all I can really say about something that doesn't mean much too me.
Every new face he brings in is a positive IMO. You can't have change if everyone stays in the same place.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
So far so good. I like these rock the boat type moves.

Next Up: GMPF does a driveby egging of Parise's house to establish dominance.

According to Russo, sounds like Dean Evason is the lead candidate to fill the coaching vacancy:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Every new face he brings in is a positive IMO. You can't have change if everyone stays in the same place.

I'm not disagreeing, I just can't bring myself to really care about front office shuffling other than the GM.

RE: to Anderson replacement with Evason (potentially). Sounds like a move BB would be fine with, and probably had some input into the situation.

Reactions: TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not disagreeing, I just can't bring myself to really care about front office shuffling other than the GM.

RE: to Anderson replacement with Evason (potentially). Sounds like a move BB would be fine with, and probably had some input into the situation.
Yeah, I don't really care who is in and who is out. I just like that Fenton seems to have a plan, and appears to be doing it how he wants it done.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I had some pretty dramatic reactions there. Just nice to have some news to discuss, sorry to put a spin on it without good reason.

Reactions: BagHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad